GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bird droppings on my new 4GS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 07:12 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
Well, no - wax is different than polish. You will certainly get more knowledgeable folks (compared to me at least) over in the detailing forum https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
but I seriously doubt you need to wet sand this.

A light cutting pad (green colored pad) with a less aggressive polish (even a Menzerna Power Finish or Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or Optimum Hyper Spray Polish) used with a Porter cable or another DA should suffice. Just remember to start with the least aggressive method first. Wet sanding may really be overkill.

Some articles that I found helpful:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...part-2/#polish <-- this has 4 pages in the article - just in case you want to read thru'

(no, I'm not affiliated with DI, but they do seem to have good/useful suggestions)

If you are not comfortable doing this on your own, take it to any reputable detailer and they will be able to get rid of this really easily (and while they are at it, maybe have them apply a sealant on as well). After I had my new GS detailed (wash/claybar/polish/seal), I had the same detailer take care of numerous swirls/smudges on my older car. It was amazing how quickly those vanished under his PC with really mild polishes. Well worth the $. I'm sure you'll find some really good detailers over in your area as well.
Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. For the time being I'm going to take much more care with the car. Then, I'll make it a goal to empty the garage and build some more storage in the next two months (kids toys strollers, wife's crafts, and my old 60" TV are occupying our garage). Once I can get my baby in the garage, I'll go visit a detailer.

I'll look at the links you provided this evening. I was also watching all of Junkman2000s videos last night. It seems easy - but not the kind of thing I want to do. Once I have my car in the garage, I'm going to take it to a detailer to fix up that issue - and also address any other issues that may appear between now and then. I'll ask them to watch so I can understand how to fix it myself next time.

You polished your brand new car? Was that necessary? Isn't it bad for the clearcoat?

Junkman2000 mentioned that all new cars should be clayed - so I'll do that this weekend to my baby.

Thanks for your help.

Mehran
Old 04-09-12, 07:25 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess what I was trying to stress is that always use the least aggressive method first to remove that imperfection. If the mild polish doesn't work, then go to more aggressive polish. If that doesn't work, try a compound. And so on. Unless you know that the imperfection is very bad, I wouldn't start with wet sanding.

The polish that the detailer used on my new car was actually a non-abrasive paint cleaner - only to remove any traces of the clay that was used. That was done because I wanted the paint to be as clean as possible before it was sealed.
Old 04-09-12, 07:49 AM
mehran888
Advanced

I guess what I was trying to stress is that always use the least aggressive method first to remove that imperfection. If the mild polish doesn't work, then go to more aggressive polish. If that doesn't work, try a compound. And so on. Unless you know that the imperfection is very bad, I wouldn't start with wet sanding.

The polish that the detailer used on my new car was actually a non-abrasive paint cleaner - only to remove any traces of the clay that was used. That was done because I wanted the paint to be as clean as possible before it was sealed.
Ok great thanks. I didn't realize there was non-abrasive polish.
Old 04-09-12, 07:58 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mehran888
Ok great thanks. I didn't realize there was non-abrasive polish.
I know... I know... my bad...
non-abrasive polish is a contradiction! lol! But for some reason, they do categorize that paint cleaner as a 'polish'
Old 04-09-12, 08:44 AM
mehran888
Advanced

I know... I know... my bad...
non-abrasive polish is a contradiction! lol! But for some reason, they do categorize that paint cleaner as a 'polish'
It sure is confusing. I ordered an orbital polisher (PC 7424XP I think) recently, but it's shipped to my parent's address in the US - I'm in Canada. Once I get it, I'll pick up some pads and start with buffing and waxing first. I'll move into polish down the road.

Going to clean, clay and wax my car this weekend by hand to see how good I can get it.

Tx again.
Old 04-09-12, 08:52 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure is confusing. I ordered an orbital polisher (PC 7424XP I think) recently, but it's shipped to my parent's address in the US - I'm in Canada. Once I get it, I'll pick up some pads and start with buffing and waxing first. I'll move into polish down the road.

Going to clean, clay and wax my car this weekend by hand to see how good I can get it.

Tx again.
I'm with you man. I will clay and wax this weekend as well. Let me know how yours go. BTW, are you going to seal the car? I'm not sure what that involves. Need to do a little bit more researching but I'm guessing it involves some type of sealent. Do you know if we need to clean, wax, then seal? Or just seal first? TIA~Tu
Old 04-09-12, 09:06 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

You would want to wash/clean before sealing (else, you are 'sealing' the dirt onto the paint)

I ended up using the Optimum Opti-Seal Paint Sealant - but other sealants are good as well. Wax will go on after the sealant (if you choose to wax it). The sealant was pretty easy to apply - just spray on a very little amount and wipe it using a sponge or MF. No buffing or anything else needed.
Old 04-09-12, 11:29 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
I'm with you man. I will clay and wax this weekend as well. Let me know how yours go. BTW, are you going to seal the car? I'm not sure what that involves. Need to do a little bit more researching but I'm guessing it involves some type of sealent. Do you know if we need to clean, wax, then seal? Or just seal first? TIA~Tu
Looks like someone answered your question. I'm going to seal as well I think.

BTW: Drive up to Toronto. You can do it in less than 24 hours. Me and my buddies who also picked up new cars last week (C250 Coupe and 3.28xi Coupe) are all cleaning our cars together. Will make for some nice pictures.

Dinner is on me if you drive up. Gas and depreciation, I can't help you with.
Old 04-09-12, 12:47 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like someone answered your question. I'm going to seal as well I think.

BTW: Drive up to Toronto. You can do it in less than 24 hours. Me and my buddies who also picked up new cars last week (C250 Coupe and 3.28xi Coupe) are all cleaning our cars together. Will make for some nice pictures.

Dinner is on me if you drive up. Gas and depreciation, I can't help you with.
Wow, if only I could I would. Would love to visit Canada one of these days. Would love you join in on all the car wash fun this weekend as well! You guys be sure to take some pics of some squeaky clean cars.
Old 04-09-12, 01:37 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
Wow, if only I could I would. Would love to visit Canada one of these days. Would love you join in on all the car wash fun this weekend as well! You guys be sure to take some pics of some squeaky clean cars.
You drive a hard bargain. I'll also cover your accommodations. But ONLY if you drive up. . Or at least rent a car identical to yours and lie to me.

Toronto is nice, particularly in the early summer. A lot of nice events going on (food, cultural, etc). Feel free to PM me if you ever come up, can take some time to show you around and so on.

Are you in Dallas, and were you affected by the storms?