GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus Premium Audio a single CD system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 12:39 AM
jedimaster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Premium Audio a single CD system?

The Lexus Premium Audio on 4GS can only handle one CD? I know ML can handle 6 CDs.
Old 04-07-12, 06:31 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by jedimaster
The Lexus Premium Audio on 4GS can only handle one CD? I know ML can handle 6 CDs.
I think they are both single disk... but does anyone want to be swapping cd's anymore? It can Blutooth stream any music from your phone, and can voice search any music connected through the USB. I have 127 CD's stored on a usb thumb drive and you can connect a usd hard drive as well. Imagine how many songs you can store on 3 terrabytes? The only thing I use the dvd drive for is to play movies. I do not need to carry 127 CD's in each car and worry if the kids will mess them up. 1 copy on my computer, including downloaded songs and 1 usb thumb drive in each of the cars.

Last edited by itruns; 04-07-12 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-07-12, 05:47 PM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itruns
I think they are both single disk... but does anyone want to be swapping cd's anymore? It can Blutooth stream any music from your phone, and can voice search any music connected through the USB. I have 127 CD's stored on a usb thumb drive and you can connect a usd hard drive as well. Imagine how many songs you can store on 3 terrabytes? The only thing I use the dvd drive for is to play movies. I do not need to carry 127 CD's in each car and worry if the kids will mess them up. 1 copy on my computer, including downloaded songs and 1 usb thumb drive in each of the cars.
Completely agree, it's a move towards a CD free era that we're rapidly entering. Same thing happened to cassettes and 8-tracks. You can always burn a bunch cds to 1 cd in mp3 format to give you the "disc changer" feel. Better part is that it will list the artist, album, and track.
Old 04-07-12, 06:44 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by SpEe1113
Completely agree, it's a move towards a CD free era that we're rapidly entering. Same thing happened to cassettes and 8-tracks. You can always burn a bunch cds to 1 cd in mp3 format to give you the "disc changer" feel. Better part is that it will list the artist, album, and track.
I understand what you guys are saying.. I was just wondering since ML has a 6 disc player.

Bluetooth streaming works flawlessly with my iPhone so far, so this is how I am going to listen my music.

Btw, has anyone had any luck using voice commands to control music? I can use voice to turn on bluetooth audio, but unable to use the voice commands like "play artist", "play playlist"' etc. Basically, the 4 "play" commands listed on pg 340 of owner's manual aren't working. The commands don't even show up in the voice command list on the screen. Not sure I need to update my software. Any idea?
Old 04-07-12, 07:47 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Btw, has anyone had any luck using voice commands to control music? I can use voice to turn on bluetooth audio, but unable to use the voice commands like "play artist", "play playlist"' etc. Basically, the 4 "play" commands listed on pg 340 of owner's manual aren't working. The commands don't even show up in the voice command list on the screen. Not sure I need to update my software. Any idea?

I think track searching only works for music on a USB drive or iPod. (not sure it works over bluetooth audio) - see page 147 at http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...46U/pdf/04.pdf

and even for that, I think you have to enable the extended voice commands (page 150 of same link above)
Old 04-07-12, 08:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, they could actually have put a sunglass slot in place of the CD changer as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-07-12, 11:11 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by jj14
I think track searching only works for music on a USB drive or iPod. (not sure it works over bluetooth audio) - see page 147 at http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...46U/pdf/04.pdf

and even for that, I think you have to enable the extended voice commands (page 150 of same link above)
Oh, your are right. It only works with USB and iPod. Actually, I only care about play list switching, because I have play lists based on genes. Now I need to create a giant size play list.
Old 04-07-12, 11:18 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yeah, they could actually have put a sunglass slot in place of the CD changer as far as I'm concerned.
I hear you man! Luckily, the center console compartment comes with a tray where I place my sunglasses now. This tray may not work with tall sunglasses though.
Old 04-08-12, 01:36 PM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

I understand what you guys are saying.. I was just wondering since ML has a 6 disc player.

Bluetooth streaming works flawlessly with my iPhone so far, so this is how I am going to listen my music.

Note, ML is single disc also on the 4GS.