GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking at the GS F Sport...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 06:49 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Do it! Infiniti to Lexus is a huge step up in luxury. The GS will not disappoint
Old 04-04-12, 07:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by pinipig523
We are entering 1.5 years of marriage - I could use as much tips as I could get.
are you buying or leasing? if you are buying with that 15% "limit", then she cant complain :-)
Old 04-04-12, 07:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't need her to co-sign, just do it. I trade cars every year (sometimes more often) and my g/f just laughs and tells everyone she will know what I'm driving when the garage door goes up! Of course, I had to throw her a bone like surprising her with a G37 Convertible to keep the peace, but she will still be driving it and satisfied when I'm on my 4th car!
Old 04-04-12, 10:24 PM
pinipig523
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
are you buying or leasing? if you are buying with that 15% "limit", then she cant complain :-)
Buying. I am making a self-imposed limit on the car budget. The car can't cost more than 15% of my gross annual salary. I can stretch to 20% if it's really cool.

Originally Posted by dseag2
If you don't need her to co-sign, just do it. I trade cars every year (sometimes more often) and my g/f just laughs and tells everyone she will know what I'm driving when the garage door goes up! Of course, I had to throw her a bone like surprising her with a G37 Convertible to keep the peace, but she will still be driving it and satisfied when I'm on my 4th car!
I don't need her to co-sign. I think it's more of just my sign of respect for her thoughts.

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Do it! Infiniti to Lexus is a huge step up in luxury. The GS will not disappoint
I know... such a cool car.
Old 04-04-12, 10:30 PM
pinipig523
Rookie

Btw, I test drove the ISF today along with the GS350F.

I had my wife with me. She sat in the GS and then the ISF... then she turned to me and said that if I wanted something sporty - why not the ISF?

I was dumbfounded that she was trying to convince me to get the ISF instead.
Old 04-04-12, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I had my wife with me. She sat in the GS and then the ISF... then she turned to me and said that if I wanted something sporty - why not the ISF?

lol well, that's your approval right there.
Old 04-05-12, 12:27 AM
pinipig523
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
lol well, that's your approval right there.
LOL.... too bad I still think I prefer the GS350F over the ISF for a daily driver.

Less money should = happy wife
Old 04-05-12, 08:49 AM
crzyis
Driver

Having owned both cars for some reason I love my Gs350 F-sport a little bit more than my Isf. Yes the Isf has more power but I appreciate all the changes in the GS more and look forward to next gen Gs-f/Is-F.
Old 04-05-12, 09:08 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
15%?? I'd better step up my game and get a 4th car.
Old 04-05-12, 10:29 AM
qualityday
Rookie

If that's 15% on both your vehicles combined then that's ok. But 15% of your GROSS income on one car? Not a smart move in my opinion.

You would have bought it already if you really wanted it that bad.
Old 04-05-12, 10:30 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If the ISF is in the picture now, you should wait for the remodeled '13
Old 04-05-12, 10:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

or you mean MY 2014...

~ Joe Z
Old 04-05-12, 11:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

interesting how it gets into financing now. my question is, what does 15% translate to and on what merit? 4gs is a 50k car. does that mean 15% of gross is 50k or less? that's good 300k+ salary. to be honest at that salary a 4gs shouldn't be a big deal.

on the other hand if it's 15% of gross on monthly payment, that can be a different story.

either way, i think it's just something whether you feel comfortable with or not
Old 04-05-12, 03:31 PM
pinipig523
Rookie

Originally Posted by qualityday
If that's 15% on both your vehicles combined then that's ok. But 15% of your GROSS income on one car? Not a smart move in my opinion.

You would have bought it already if you really wanted it that bad.
Yeah, cars are never the best financial moves. I do like the car quite a bit, but I have a problem with paying full price. Not sure if I want to be one of the first few buyers... I'm thinking I'd rather wait until the next year models come in and I can come in for a discount on the remaining 4GS350Fs...

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting how it gets into financing now. my question is, what does 15% translate to and on what merit? 4gs is a 50k car. does that mean 15% of gross is 50k or less? that's good 300k+ salary. to be honest at that salary a 4gs shouldn't be a big deal.

on the other hand if it's 15% of gross on monthly payment, that can be a different story.

either way, i think it's just something whether you feel comfortable with or not
I make about 400K on my own and I figured that anything under 60K was a good purchase and a reasonable number for a daily driver. I have thought about a weekend car (like a P car) but for some reason I just don't feel comfortable spending more money on another car. I've also thought about 100K cars but once again - I just don't feel comfortable with that kind of cash on a car.

Wife handles our finances and she thinks that anything beyond 15% is too expensive. She wanted me to keep my car purchase around 40K actually... which is why she thinks the GS is too expensive for me.

Definitely tough choice... ISF just felt like it was trying to unleash itself onto the road the entire time. I'm thinking it's more of a weekend car. But I look forward to see what the next ISF brings to the table.
Old 04-05-12, 03:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah, cars are never the best financial moves. I do like the car quite a bit, but I have a problem with paying full price. Not sure if I want to be one of the first few buyers... I'm thinking I'd rather wait until the next year models come in and I can come in for a discount on the remaining 4GS350Fs...

I make about 400K on my own and I figured that anything under 60K was a good purchase and a reasonable number for a daily driver. I have thought about a weekend car (like a P car) but for some reason I just don't feel comfortable spending more money on another car. I've also thought about 100K cars but once again - I just don't feel comfortable with that kind of cash on a car.

Wife handles our finances and she thinks that anything beyond 15% is too expensive. She wanted me to keep my car purchase around 40K actually... which is why she thinks the GS is too expensive for me.

Definitely tough choice... ISF just felt like it was trying to unleash itself onto the road the entire time. I'm thinking it's more of a weekend car. But I look forward to see what the next ISF brings to the table.
life is too short and at times you have to reward yourself with something you truly like. that's the bottom line. otherwise you will be making all these money and it just sits there

Quick Reply: Looking at the GS F Sport...