GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Free car washes at dealerships.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 03:10 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys hang out at the autopia forums, you already know to avoid dealer washes. If not, ignorance is bliss and enjoy the free washes.

If a really dirty car was washed before yours was run through the machine, all that dirt can introduce swirls. If you have a silver or lighter car, it won't be as noticeable as a dark color.
Old 04-09-12, 03:37 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

All Car washes in general are required to use partially recycled water. This means that the water is of course re used and it is spraying partially dirty water on your car. This causes things like the paint protection film to become discolored.
Old 04-09-12, 07:35 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
All Car washes in general are required to use partially recycled water. This means that the water is of course re used and it is spraying partially dirty water on your car. This causes things like the paint protection film to become discolored.
lol nothing in this statement is true....my family owns a car wash btw.
Old 04-09-12, 08:06 PM
Liferules
Driver

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
Agreed. There's a lot of fear mongering going on about car washes. The truth is that DIY can be just as bad as a car wash if you don't take care. I just don't have the time to do a detailed home wash myself at the frequency that my car needs a wash. If I get a little swirl, so be it, but I've taken my other car to car washes and didn't get bothered by it, so maybe I've been lucky...
Old 04-09-12, 08:15 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Liferules
Agreed. There's a lot of fear mongering going on about car washes. The truth is that DIY can be just as bad as a car wash if you don't take care. I just don't have the time to do a detailed home wash myself at the frequency that my car needs a wash. If I get a little swirl, so be it, but I've taken my other car to car washes and didn't get bothered by it, so maybe I've been lucky...
well my family car wash is a touchless system, I agree I wouldn't go through a tunnel type care wash with brushes...especially with a dark car.
Old 04-09-12, 08:20 PM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Liferules
Great point. I've taken mine to the dealer and haven't noticed any swirls at all after they wash it (obsidian too). They have actually done a pretty good job.
Old 04-09-12, 09:07 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ALWAYS let them wash my car at the dealership. No problems.

Then again, my car is white and there are much too many things to obsess about than swirl marks. No car remains perfect forever if you actually drive it daily.
Old 04-09-12, 09:41 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SpEe1113
Great point. I've taken mine to the dealer and haven't noticed any swirls at all after they wash it (obsidian too). They have actually done a pretty good job.
Maybe because your car is still pretty brand new? Let's give it a couple more months worth of washes. I'm not saying that dealership washes are bad or anything. God forbid if I do ever get scratches or swirls which I'm sure will happen, I just want to be the one responsible for my own swirls rather than hand it to someone to put swirls on my new car for me. I know, I'm a little twisted that way.
Old 04-10-12, 05:43 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LXgs350
Must be Virginia
Old 04-10-12, 11:45 AM
SpEe1113
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
Maybe because your car is still pretty brand new? Let's give it a couple more months worth of washes. I'm not saying that dealership washes are bad or anything. God forbid if I do ever get scratches or swirls which I'm sure will happen, I just want to be the one responsible for my own swirls rather than hand it to someone to put swirls on my new car for me. I know, I'm a little twisted that way.
Very well could be the case, it is brand new. As long as it stays waxed and clean, I hope swirls never show up!
Old 04-10-12, 03:03 PM
gyung
Pole Position

I have this foam gun I bought from Amazon - they have other options as well but I like it:
http://amzn.to/I0SOtO

I just use regular car wash soap and it works fine - just add less water than you normally would and you can adjust the amount of water it mixes. I'm sure there are better soaps, but I use it as a lubricant and just to get the light dirt off, even though I have a pressure washer as well.

Don't use the California Scratcher - terrible idea.

I have a couple waffle weaves, including the HD and I love them - pricey but I take care of mine and last quite a while.

As for using the stealership car wash, a couple times they took in my Obsidian it looked pretty bad. Usually I tell them "NO WASH". I polished the swirls out myself, but I would not recommend it if you have a color that shows swirls easily.

As for our Knight's Armour Pearl GX460, I've been kinda lazy as it's such a big car to wash =/
Swirls don't really show on it, but I wouldn't go all the time - just when it's really dirty and for service.
Old 04-10-12, 03:40 PM
Got PSI
Driver

Originally Posted by gyung
I have this foam gun I bought from Amazon - they have other options as well but I like it:
http://amzn.to/I0SOtO

I just use regular car wash soap and it works fine - just add less water than you normally would and you can adjust the amount of water it mixes. I'm sure there are better soaps, but I use it as a lubricant and just to get the light dirt off, even though I have a pressure washer as well.

Don't use the California Scratcher - terrible idea.

I have a couple waffle weaves, including the HD and I love them - pricey but I take care of mine and last quite a while.

As for using the stealership car wash, a couple times they took in my Obsidian it looked pretty bad. Usually I tell them "NO WASH". I polished the swirls out myself, but I would not recommend it if you have a color that shows swirls easily.

As for our Knight's Armour Pearl GX460, I've been kinda lazy as it's such a big car to wash =/
Swirls don't really show on it, but I wouldn't go all the time - just when it's really dirty and for service.
Thanks for the tip. I'll remove the California blade... I just read some reviews, and apparently it leaves streaks. Not a good idea. Do you you use any sort of wax as you dry spray detailer ? what do you recommend ?
Old 04-10-12, 04:12 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Got PSI
Thanks for the tip. I'll remove the California blade... I just read some reviews, and apparently it leaves streaks. Not a good idea. Do you you use any sort of wax as you dry spray detailer ? what do you recommend ?
I'm not sure what you mean, but the was I use now is the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax - I've had a lot of success with it (http://www.autogeek.net/pinliqsouvwa.html)

If I had to try something new I would probably buy the P21s (http://www.autogeek.net/p2concarwax.html)

i don't use any spray waxes, so can't tell you much about them. I have a set of Zaino stuff but didn't work for me.

I also haven't found a good detailing spray yet - haven't tested a ton but FK425 left streaks for me and I have a gallon left, Zaino is too expensive, so next time I'd try these to keep the car clean:

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-plus.html

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-inst...iler-17oz.html

Otherwise I'll just use Meguiar's QD as a throwaway.

Also if you can wait, look for the free shipping + 20% off coupon from Autogeek.net, it comes up every now and then. Just as a disclaimer, I'm not a pro but I enjoy detailing and polishing my car =)

If you have questions please PM so I don't turn this into a detailing thread haha but hopefully this will help out a couple members.
Old 04-10-12, 07:19 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Must be Virginia
Possible that different states have different laws.
Old 04-10-12, 08:53 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care what excuses people use DO NOT GET A FREE WASH.... Not only do minimum wage guys that don't care wash and dry but the reclaimed water stinks so bad that you will have to change out your cabin air filter and they're vacuum skills lack.

Quick Reply: Free car washes at dealerships.