GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Headlight film protection.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 12:53 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight film protection.

I was just wondering if it is a good idea to put some headlight film protection to protect the lenses from rock chips, sand blast, etc. Called the dealership and they said it wasn't necessary since the lenses already have some kind of protection on them already. Just wanted to see what your guys opinions on this is. TIA~ Tu

Found this product from the 'bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS-350...44400582991296
Old 03-31-12, 06:19 PM
lexesty72
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had it installed last night. I wouldn't drive without any film protection on the road these days.
Old 03-31-12, 07:06 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Room4Tu
I was just wondering if it is a good idea to put some headlight film protection to protect the lenses from rock chips, sand blast, etc. Called the dealership and they said it wasn't necessary since the lenses already have some kind of protection on them already. Just wanted to see what your guys opinions on this is. TIA~ Tu

While I was buying my car today, the "finance manager" discouraged me from film protection for the headlights. I got partial hood, fenders, mirrors, and door handles.
Old 04-01-12, 05:59 AM
joehp1
Rookie

I am getting lights, full hood, side panels, side mirrors, just about everything on the front end covered. Also, the lip on the trunk will be getting covered. I have used this (Clear Protection) on my previous BMW335, Lexus GS300. I had partial hood coverage before and after a few years the line started to show yellow from wax build-up. Have liquid platinum color. The Clear Protection has saved my car in the past from many road hazards (stones, bugs, etc).
Old 04-01-12, 06:12 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joehp1
I am getting lights, full hood, side panels, side mirrors, just about everything on the front end covered. Also, the lip on the trunk will be getting covered. I have used this (Clear Protection) on my previous BMW335, Lexus GS300. I had partial hood coverage before and after a few years the line started to show yellow from wax build-up. Have liquid platinum color. The Clear Protection has saved my car in the past from many road hazards (stones, bugs, etc).
Is the dealer doing this for you or are you going through an independent shop?
Old 04-01-12, 07:47 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

You can never have too much protection. LOL

The headlight film is great for keeping your lenses from getting heavily pitted from everyday wear and tear. You don't have to order this from the dealer as you can have this done by any reputable clear bra installer. I've put on headlamp/foglamp protection kits as well as clear bra on all my Lexus' since 2003. Its a worthy investment whether you are purchasing or leasing.
Old 04-01-12, 07:52 AM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
You can never have too much protection. LOL

The headlight film is great for keeping your lenses from getting heavily pitted from everyday wear and tear. You don't have to order this from the dealer as you can have this done by any reputable clear bra installer. I've put on headlamp/foglamp protection kits as well as clear bra on all my Lexus' since 2003. Its a worthy investment whether you are purchasing or leasing.
OK thanks for confirming. That's what my gut feeling says but I didn't want to mess up anything. I'm starting to wonder about some of these Lexus advisors? I think they just say stuff depending on what Lexus is able to do and not do
Old 04-01-12, 07:59 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

OK thanks for confirming. That's what my gut feeling says but I didn't want to mess up anything. I'm starting to wonder about some of these Lexus advisors? I think they just say stuff depending on what Lexus is able to do and not do
Lets just say its just a job to some of them. And in most cases they can't give real first hand experience or testimonials because they've never owned a car with these things.
Old 04-01-12, 10:41 AM
joehp1
Rookie

Using a local person, Dr. Tint. Not cheap, but spending $60,000 for car, what is another $1200!
Old 04-01-12, 05:52 PM
PTmobile
Driver

The particular link you posted is probably nto a good film to install. Its a 12 mil film and its 3M. I would recommend going with a standard 6 mil film... which is what we install on all vehicles... and it will be much less noticable than the 12 mil film. 12 mil film is typically a cheaper film and esotn provide better protection than the 6 mil.

Where in Texas are you located?
Old 04-01-12, 07:12 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PTmobile
The particular link you posted is probably nto a good film to install. Its a 12 mil film and its 3M. I would recommend going with a standard 6 mil film... which is what we install on all vehicles... and it will be much less noticable than the 12 mil film. 12 mil film is typically a cheaper film and esotn provide better protection than the 6 mil.

Where in Texas are you located?
Dang, just ordered the films this morning Not sure if I want to go through all the hassles of returning it. I am located in North Dallas. Denton to be specific.
Old 04-13-15, 04:29 PM
Haldol
Rookie

I had Xpel installed over the entire front end including the fog lights and headlights. I highly recommend Xpel, but get a good installer. Ask the Ferrari dealers to recommend an installer in your area. Sewell dealer wanted to install 3m. I respectfully declined.
Old 04-14-15, 12:52 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Haldol
I had Xpel installed over the entire front end including the fog lights and headlights. I highly recommend Xpel, but get a good installer. Ask the Ferrari dealers to recommend an installer in your area. Sewell dealer wanted to install 3m. I respectfully declined.
Are you just bringing old threads to life? Lol
Old 04-15-15, 10:51 AM
duraiaras
Rookie

Ohh man! I just can't stop laughing.. this is not the first thread that was brought back alive by Haldol. Digging out 3-4 year old threads. Haldol is on fire.
Old 04-19-15, 11:43 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Haldol
The shop that did mine also works with the local Ferrari/lambo dealer. I follow them on instagram.. the cars that come through the shop, every day its another exotic car. I feel weird when I bring my "crappy lexus" in for a wash

Quick Reply: Headlight film protection.