GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windshield Wipers - Very Confusing to Me

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 05:00 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers - Very Confusing to Me

How do I put it into auto mode and leave it there? Is the little green light supposed to light because it never does regardless of button pushes or lever flips? The owners manual only adds to my confusion, especially the dumb charts. The LS430 had an auto switch position - done.
Old 04-02-12, 05:04 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
How do I put it into auto mode and leave it there? Is the little green light supposed to light because it never does regardless of button pushes or lever flips? The owners manual only adds to my confusion, especially the dumb charts. The LS430 had an auto switch position - done.
The button is at the end of the stalk and yes a green light will come on to confirm it is in auto mode.
Old 04-02-12, 05:05 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by e39ng
The button is at the end of the stalk and yes a green light will come on to confirm it is in auto mode.
Does the light stay on?
Old 04-02-12, 05:15 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the light stay on?
Yes it stays on...see my pic below...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34602213@N08/6894309498/http://www.flickr.com/photos/34602213@N08/6894309498/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/34602213@N08/, on Flickr
Old 04-02-12, 05:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ if the light is on your in "auto"
Old 04-02-12, 05:56 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

OK, took a drive around the neighborhood and played with it. At first the light would not light when pressing the button. However, I pressed and held the button until it blinked about 5 times. Then I released the button and when I pressed it again it lit and stayed lit with one wipe of the wiper. I assume it went into auto mode. I could then turn it off and back on with a single push of the button each time. If I turned the car off with the auto mode light on, the light was on again after restarting the car. Hopefully the mystery is solved.

I have the car parked in the garage for a couple days with the garage door down. Neighbors back in the subdivision probably called the Sheriff about some white car driving around after dark at 5 MPH under the 25 MPH limit instead of 20 MPH over. The car also stopped at intersections, turned the engine off, and restarted instead of blowing through the stop signs. Very suspicious behavior.
Old 04-02-12, 06:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

OK, took a drive around the neighborhood and played with it. At first the light would not light when pressing the button. However, I pressed and held the button until it blinked about 5 times. Then I released the button and when I pressed it again it lit and stayed lit with one wipe of the wiper. I assume it went into auto mode. I could then turn it off and back on with a single push of the button each time. If I turned the car off with the auto mode light on, the light was on again after restarting the car. Hopefully the mystery is solved.

I have the car parked in the garage for a couple days with the garage door down. Neighbors back in the subdivision probably called the Sheriff about some white car driving around after dark at 5 MPH under the 25 MPH limit instead of 20 MPH over. The car also stopped at intersections, turned the engine off, and restarted instead of blowing through the stop signs. Very suspicious behavior.
probably you reset some sensor with long switch, that dealer didnt do during PDI?
Old 04-02-12, 07:52 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! Funny that you mentioned this because I find myself doing the same thing these last couple of days. Luckily no cops called on me yet
Old 04-02-12, 07:54 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably you reset some sensor with long switch, that dealer didnt do during PDI?
The dealer appeared to miss a lot during the PDI. I am rather disappointed and told them so today. I wonder what else I'm going to find over the weeks ahead.
Old 04-02-12, 07:56 PM
Room4Tu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer appeared to miss a lot during the PDI. I am rather disappointed and told them so today. I wonder what else I'm going to find over the weeks ahead.
Yeah, I was going to mention that to them today as well but I was in a hurry to get out of there today. I'm having to do a lot of learning on my own these last couple of days.
Old 04-02-12, 08:04 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We will learn a lot more from this forum than we will from the salespeople. My salesperson told me I was the only one she'd seen that actually new about the engine sound being piped in through the sound system.

Like most of you, when I go to buy a car I know more about it than the salesperson knows
Old 04-03-12, 11:16 AM
MichaelLop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
We will learn a lot more from this forum than we will from the salespeople. My salesperson told me I was the only one she'd seen that actually new about the engine sound being piped in through the sound system.

Like most of you, when I go to buy a car I know more about it than the salesperson knows
The problem is none of you are reading your manuals. This scenario is clearly outlined here.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04-03.pdf

You can only expect the salesperson to explain so much to you. By the time most people get to the delivery process they are braindead from the overall draining effects attributed to the car buying process. If you have a question, the answer is always within arms reach (aka the glove compartment).
Old 04-03-12, 11:29 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by MichaelLop
The problem is none of you are reading your manuals. This scenario is clearly outlined here.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04-03.pdf
I read that section multiple times and found it horribly written with charts that added to the confusion. (I've used, written, and reviewed user documentation for technical systems for 30+ years. Lexus did far better in the past.) The fundamental problem I had was that a single push of the auto button did nothing.
Old 04-03-12, 11:47 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation FYI for All...

^^ Yeup.... They want you to:

"Press and hold until the AUTO button......."

I'm sure the reason is so you don't accidentally turn it on/off if your hand or finger pushes it once, unintentionally.

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-03-12 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-03-12, 12:58 PM
Jaymez56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Yeup.... They want you to:

"Press and hold until the AUTO button......."

I'm sure the reason is so you don't accidentally turn it on/off if your hand or finger pushes it once, unintentionally.

~ Joe Z
I just have to push the Auto button in once and the light comes on and the wipers work in auto...just like e39 shows above. I only press and hold as stated in the manual if I want to put it into intermittent mode. I then repeat the same procedure to get out of intermittent mode. Caddy, I think your auto button light may need to be looked at by the dealer.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers - Very Confusing to Me