GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 04:34 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio

hi...i've heard mixed reviews on the new ML audio system in the GS...I've had 2 Lexus' in the past (ES300, GS300 and IS350) and could never get the ML in the northeast area....I always thought the Lexus regular stereo (aka "premium") was just fair.....i've now have an Infiniti and the Bose system is great....i'm going back to lexus...GS and wanted a ML for the first time...but reading a lot of mixed reactions.....any thoughts would be helpful..thanks
Old 03-30-12, 04:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Get ML if you like good stereo in your car or you will regret your decision later!
Old 03-30-12, 05:02 PM
jedimaster
Driver

Originally Posted by chiefguy
hi...i've heard mixed reviews on the new ML audio system in the GS...I've had 2 Lexus' in the past (ES300, GS300 and IS350) and could never get the ML in the northeast area....I always thought the Lexus regular stereo (aka "premium") was just fair.....i've now have an Infiniti and the Bose system is great....i'm going back to lexus...GS and wanted a ML for the first time...but reading a lot of mixed reactions.....any thoughts would be helpful..thanks
The Lexus Premium audio has come the long way on the new GS. I listened to Jazz on both Premium and ML but couldn't tell the difference. Maybe slightly tighter bass on ML. For $1400 saving, I'd go with the Premium. Don't take my words for it, just listen to both and decide for yourself.
Old 03-30-12, 05:13 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save yourself $1500 because although ML is a really GREAT system, the gap between the premium and ML stereo is negligible and that is coming from an audio snob. I don't disagree with spwolf above but I believe you will ONLY regret it if you take comfort in knowing that you have it. Otherwise, you will be just fine.
Old 03-30-12, 05:16 PM
freddy2020
Rookie

It depends what kind of person you are, if you appreciate better sound go with the ML if you can justify the cost, the rms wattage on the ML is way higher when listening to both this is clearly apparent if you have a ear for it. Only you can decide if its worth that much extra money.
Old 03-30-12, 05:30 PM
Howiiieee
Rookie

I just traded my 2007 GS350 with just Lexus stereo for a 2013 GS F Sport with ML. The stereo in the old car was good, but I kept feeling it is not the best. Lexus sure has done a good marketing on the ML.

I insisted to have the ML in my new car and I had to wait for 2 months for it. I just got the new car and I feel the wait and the money was well worth it. It sound a lot cleaner and tighter and fuller especially when I crank it up for my techno driving music. I also have the comfort to know this is as good as it gets from the factory and no need to second guess what if. It averages out in a five year payment around US$25 a month.

I will say watch one less movie in the cinema per month and go for the best. It will boost your Ego, too.
Old 03-30-12, 06:06 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiiieee
I also have the comfort to know this is as good as it gets from the factory and no need to second guess what if. It averages out in a five year payment around US$25 a month.

I will say watch one less movie in the cinema per month and go for the best. It will boost your Ego, too.
My point exactly and there's no shame in that!
Old 03-30-12, 06:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
My point exactly and there's no shame in that!
that was exactly my point too. After few months he will start questioning his decision, and then more and more people will experience ML and post about it, so he will start asking himself the questions what if, and he will ask if it can be retrofitted (and it cant).
Old 03-30-12, 06:57 PM
Lexicated
Rookie

I have no doubt the ML is great in the GS, but I'm completely satisfied with the standard system. It is one of the best sounding systems that I have had in a car.
Old 03-31-12, 05:10 AM
chiefguy
Rookie

Default ML or Lexus Premium Audio

Thanks everyone for your replies...i'll probably go with ML since the standard Lexus audio system has not really met my expectations in the past, unlike other brands (e.g. Bose) in other cars....thanks again.
Old 03-31-12, 06:20 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The luxury package sold in our area has the ML stereo included, so I didn't have much choice.
Old 03-31-12, 02:18 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The luxury package sold in our area has the ML stereo included, so I didn't have much choice.
I went to the dealer today. They don't have any with the ML in stock or coming into the dealership anytime soon. Seems like the northeast region never gets ML...not sure why..
Old 03-31-12, 04:14 PM
qualityday
Rookie

Yup I wish I got the ML. It just wasn't available on the setup i wanted. Very few F-Sports have them.

The stock sounds are decent at best. I'm going full blown aftermarket.
Old 04-01-12, 07:36 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

If you have a collection, or want to create a collection of DVD-A/DTS media, then you will likely need to ML system. I highly doubt the premium audio system able to read and decode DVD-A/DTS.

I auditioned the ML system in the 2013 GS and found it to decode DVD-A very well. I would not consider anything but the ML system in a GS, but did find the subwoofer didn't offer as much low end as my 3rd gen GS. That opinion could change with additional listening (my time listening was very short and limited). But overall, I was impressed.
Old 04-01-12, 10:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I've said in the other thread, when it comes to Lexus vehicles:
It's either you go Mark Levinson OR go home.

Don't bother with Lexus Premium Audio.....cause it can't even come close to Harman Kardon Logic 7.

Last edited by Blackraven; 04-01-12 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio