GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 08:43 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bambarbia
First of all, speakers, especially top-notch such as Mark Levinson, also need Warm-Up period, about 1000 hours in average, at middle-moderate power... Do not believe any reviews.

My car is new, GS350, 350 km only, but I am hearing already that XM sounds like mono, crap... And digital FM is many times better... But don't trust to any "review" based on not-yet-braking-in speakers... Right now I feel old Corolla sounded better; but I am sure sound will change in few weeks.
You're right. There is absolutely a break-in period required for speakers and your sound system wil be at its best when you've past that period.
Old 07-06-12, 07:50 AM
kssod
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1000 hrs, that over a year for most drivers @ 3 hrs per day.
From an earlier post the base does not seem to have a sub woofer, and only 300w.
Can it be upgraded and still use the stock head?
Also, there is a post that the ML does not play DVD-A or DTS encoded discs.
Does the base audio?
Old 07-06-12, 09:33 AM
nantang
Driver

I was just noticing today how much better Pandora was sounding than two weeks ago. I don't think it was speaker warm-up, however, so much as better bandwidth on my phone; a good 3G connection improves streaming quality, so the music doesn't sound pixellated.

The Mark Levinson system has amazing DSP, because I've used sources that by all rights should have sounded crappy but still sounded good. It's like trying to take a bad picture at Disney World. You can't do it. If you try to photograph an overweight tourist, a peacock will pop up at the very last second.

Yes, it's true; the Mark Levinson system doesn't support DTS audio. That's kind of like a Pope who doesn't read Latin.
Old 07-06-12, 10:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefguy
hi...i've heard mixed reviews on the new ML audio system in the GS...I've had 2 Lexus' in the past (ES300, GS300 and IS350) and could never get the ML in the northeast area....I always thought the Lexus regular stereo (aka "premium") was just fair.....i've now have an Infiniti and the Bose system is great....i'm going back to lexus...GS and wanted a ML for the first time...but reading a lot of mixed reactions.....any thoughts would be helpful..thanks
Not to be biased, Lexus/Mark Levinson > Infiniti/Bose.

Mark Levinson is a must for any Lexus. If you compare the standard Lexus Premium Audio (which is great for most), to an ML GS, the difference is night and day. The ML system has clarity and strength that the standard audio doesn't deliver. The bass stays nice and tight and the mids and highs are clear. Of course an audiophile will be able to distinguish the pros and cons, but for what its worth, ML makes XM Sirus, MP3's, BT Audio, Pandora and HD Radio sound fantastic.

As a matter of fact, I posted this yesterday:

http://instagram.com/p/MuABYyxdw3/
Old 07-06-12, 12:07 PM
GVVTS
Rookie

Originally Posted by kssod
From an earlier post the base does not seem to have a sub woofer, and only 300w.
Does the base audio?
The ML and non-ML plays DVD-A, but not DTS encoded.
Old 07-06-12, 12:58 PM
ogs rex
Driver School Candidate

Loving my ML system...

I have always been a big audiophile and I have spent tons on aftermarket systems in my past cars...

I have had custom trunks/amp racks/3 way kick panels for my Focal Utopia 3 way components...

Sure they will blow any stock system away bose/ML/logic 7 ETC...

But the truth is the integration of the audio system in the vehicle design is really pushing out aftermarket audio upgrades. Not to mention the cost is so minor compared to aftermarket upgrades that this one to me is a no brainer...

So far the ML has been a great system to listen to...

One thing that I would like point out is Hard connection via USB > Bluetooth connection for audio...

I hope this helps...
Old 07-06-12, 04:59 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Not to be biased, Lexus/Mark Levinson > Infiniti/Bose.

Mark Levinson is a must for any Lexus. If you compare the standard Lexus Premium Audio (which is great for most), to an ML GS, the difference is night and day. The ML system has clarity and strength that the standard audio doesn't deliver. The bass stays nice and tight and the mids and highs are clear. Of course an audiophile will be able to distinguish the pros and cons, but for what its worth, ML makes XM Sirus, MP3's, BT Audio, Pandora and HD Radio sound fantastic.

As a matter of fact, I posted this yesterday:

http://instagram.com/p/MuABYyxdw3/
like your taste in music. READY TO DIE ALBUM AND ML,,, priceless.
Old 07-06-12, 09:28 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,349 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by kssod
Does the base audio?
I doubt these speakers needs really 1,000 hours to break-in. Most smaller speakers don't need that much time, if any. Usually large subwoofers with very stiff spiders require break-in time, but even then those aren't 1,000 hours.
Old 07-07-12, 09:18 AM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Lexus Premium Audio is great, but if you're a music fanatic and love to enjoy your music while you drive, Mark Levinson is a standard choice!
Old 07-07-12, 09:26 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been pretty happy with the Premium Audio, especially after tweaking the Low, Mid, and Treble settings in the "Sound" menu. These must be adjusted for each mode separately, AM, FM, SAT, etc. The Lexus Premium system far surpasses that in my 2008 BMW.
Old 07-07-12, 03:48 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

does the ML sound better with the ASL on or off?
Old 07-07-12, 05:09 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,349 Likes on 695 Posts

I turn it off. I think it is apart of the dynamic volume control, where the car adjusts volume based on speed which annoys me greatly.
Old 07-21-16, 08:24 AM
Rhinetom
Driver School Candidate

Default ML you cant go wrong

When we purchased our 2011 GX 460, the dealer talked me out of the ML saying the standard stereo was superior almost any competitors. I recently purchased an RC350F with the ML and it blows everything else away! I plan on trading in the GX just to get the ML.
Old 07-21-16, 12:28 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2013 with ML definitely supports dolby 5.1. I have some DVD movies I've thrown in and the sounds end up where they belong (rear speakers act as surrounds, center channel for dialogue, etc.). It's supposed to support 7.1 also.

Make sure the surround is disabled in the options for the disc, and if you get the intro menu to choose stereo or surround, obviously make a choice there. The surround option for the sound source in the ML system is basically the "virtual surround" that spreads stereo around the speakers and it's wonky sometimes.
Old 07-22-16, 08:20 AM
Ready4aGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if anyone is debating ML Audi or the Lexus Premium, but i would encourage anyone who is to listen to them back to back. I recently did this and the difference is quite obvious to me. If you cant tell the difference between the two systems after doing that - then just get the premium audio.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio