GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 06:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Yes, if you don't feel you need the quality, don't bother optioning it...
Old 05-12-12, 07:33 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I have DVD-As from back in 2004 when I had an Acura TL with the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 Surround Sound system. They play fine in my 4GS and sound fantastic.
The Elliot Scheiner 5.1 system is outstanding and is the only other system I would put on the same level as a ML.

With the 4GS, is there a menu item for DVD Audio Settings, and if so, is there a Auto Play On/Off setting under DVD Audio Settings?

Just curious if the 4GS has the same problems with DVD-As when Auto Play is on that my LS experienced.
Originally Posted by zoombie99
I see everyone's point but I don't think I need it if I listen to XM most of the time.
I don't see myself listening to XM for music, unless I was just on a long road trip and wanted to vary my listening. However, where I see the benefit to XM is with traffic alerts and weather.
Old 05-13-12, 06:02 AM
yell01
Driver School Candidate

I see everyone's point but I don't think I need it if I listen to XM most of the time.
I tested it out listening to my iPod and it sounded great.
Old 05-13-12, 04:36 PM
nantang
Driver

I might appraeciate DVD audio if anything were available on it. I've got my one Blue Man Group DVD. Most of the time, I'm having to go to iTunes, burn to CD, and copy to mp3 at 320kbps. Still, it will be interesting to see how well Mark Levinson handles this.

I'm not too worried about satellite radio, since I usually bring my own music. But, I do want to see how the Pandora app sounds. If it's piped through 3G followed by Bluetooth, though, I'll be impressed if it sounds OK.
Old 05-13-12, 08:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You're right. I had a base GS loaner car prior to taking delivery of my F Sport. It had the premium sound system and XM sounded great. I don't notice much of a difference in XM sound with Mark Levinson. However, IPod is a completely different story.
Old 05-17-12, 11:47 AM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rip all that factory stuff out, put in a decent head unit, real amps and dynaudio speakers. THEN you will have a real audiophile system.
Old 05-17-12, 11:56 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

i have a ml system but it came witht the car when i brought it. just like with all my bose systems its getting ripped out. they ok for light music, but i need my back to move and my mids and highs to fill the cabin. already removed the sub and replaced with 2 10 in L7's and now the doors are getting beymers and seperate tweets all around. the only thing i cant remove is the radio cause its in the navi but it will do.
Old 05-17-12, 12:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Actually, the answer to this question just depends on how much of an audiophile you are.
If you are not much of an audiophile, just a normal person - use the base system.
If you're a bit of an audiophile, opt for the Mark Levinson.
If you were a true audiophile, you would remove the head unit, and remove the speakers, and install an aftermarket system with multiple component power amplifiers in the boot, and install audiophile grade speakers.
The component power amplifiers and the speakers are most important, because the factory head unit delivers a decent signal...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-17-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 06:54 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

BMW is coming out with a new B&O system option for the 2013 5 series coming out this July:

Bang & Olufsen High End Surround-Sound System.

From July, the Bang & Olufsen High End Surround-Sound System will be optionally available for all models of the BMW 5 Series. This system facilitates the reproduction of music in outstanding sound quality via 16 active loudspeakers with a total output of 1,200 Watt, whereby it is possible to choose between the “Studio” mode offering a clear sound and the “Extended” mode, which has the effect of an extended sound space. In both cases a unique surround effect is achieved. Equally as impressive as the sound experience offered by the system is the so-called Floating Design with its perfect styling and the precision crafted hole pattern of the speaker grille so characteristic of Bang & Olufsen sound equipment. The system's centre speaker features the Acoustic Lens Technology developed by Bang & Olufsen. As soon as the audio system is activated, the centre element with the integrated medium-range speaker rises from the dashboard to release the lens of the tweeter. The lens radiates its signals evenly into the interior within an angle of 180 degrees, thereby ensuring an exceptionally harmonious distribution of sound.
Old 05-18-12, 07:25 PM
nantang
Driver

Pop-up speakers? Does this mean that luxury cars are now getting into an arms race of ridiculously high end audio? Mark Levinson will have to fire back by hiring Bono, The Edge, several members of the London Symphony Orchestra's string section, and that guy with the spiky hair who sings for The Crüxshadows (his name is Rogue) to take turns in my car's back seat to perform live.
Old 05-18-12, 07:58 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by nantang
Pop-up speakers? Does this mean that luxury cars are now getting into an arms race of ridiculously high end audio? Mark Levinson will have to fire back by hiring Bono, The Edge, several members of the London Symphony Orchestra's string section, and that guy with the spiky hair who sings for The Crüxshadows (his name is Rogue) to take turns in my car's back seat to perform live.
I'm all for audio wars to stimulate ever improving sound systems

B & O makes good speakers. And I find it interesting that BMW is no longer using Harmon products for their premium sound system. I wonder if the B&O produces 5.1 audio.
Old 05-19-12, 12:06 AM
Phun4GS
Driver School Candidate

I am very disappointed that the ML system does not decode DTS
Old 05-19-12, 07:31 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phun4GS
I am very disappointed that the ML system does not decode DTS
Thats odd. My 3rd Gen GS with ML decoded DTS far better than DVD-A. I ended up buying DTS over DVD-A and replacing some of my collection where DTS was available just for that very reason.

What kind of problems are you having? I had a problem with my new LS w/ML working properly with DVD-A, but I got that resolved and get 5.1 with both DVD-A and DTS.

I'm not sure there are many after market choices, if any, that will read DVD-A and DTS, but the ML system definitely will read DTS from my own experiences.
Old 05-19-12, 08:23 AM
Phun4GS
Driver School Candidate

It looks like starting with 2013 models, the ML system no longer supports DTS. There's no DTS logo on the face of the ML system for the GS, RX, LX, and ES. It only supports Dolby digital. When I select DTS soundtrack on my DVDs, I just get no sound. This is quite surprising to me because even the pre-2013 ct200h supports DTS.
Old 05-19-12, 09:50 AM
MarkGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phun4GS
It looks like starting with 2013 models, the ML system no longer supports DTS. There's no DTS logo on the face of the ML system for the GS, RX, LX, and ES. It only supports Dolby digital. When I select DTS soundtrack on my DVDs, I just get no sound. This is quite surprising to me because even the pre-2013 ct200h supports DTS.
That is too bad. My guess is that this was a cost cutting move on the belief that DTS is an outmoded format. I always felt that DTS sounded just as well on the ML as DVD-A. And the ML system treated DTS the same as CD, where it would advance on to the next CD at the end of the previous CD while DVD-A do not automatically advance to the next.

Have you experienced any issues with DVD-A in the ML system you have?

I recently traded my 3rd gen GS for a 2012 LS w/ML and may end up being happy I didn't wait for the 2013. I somehow believe the ML system won't read DTS in the 2013 LS either after learning what you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Audio