GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Parted ways after three weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 09:07 AM
KS13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are you asking for your GS? I have a cousin that near your area that's in the market for the GS
Old 03-29-12, 09:37 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by KS13
How much are you asking for your GS? I have a cousin that near your area that's in the market for the GS
He already sold back to the dealer.
Old 03-29-12, 09:38 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting thread. I looked at the GS a few weeks ago when my LX was in for service, then went back for a test drive and ordered one on much the same impulse as the OP. While waiting for delivery, I reviewed in my head whether moving from my LS to a sports sedan makes sense (it does) and what other viable options are out there. Unlike the OP, I have a strong prejudice AGAINST German vehicles for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a crazy German ex-spouse who always wanted us to buy German cars. (Yes, a pretty illogical reason.) I eliminated Infiniti (no convenient dealer and never liked Nissan vehicles), Acura (not really a luxury brand), Cadillac (too many bad quality experiences), and Lincoln (too Taurus-esque or Fusion-esque). Other brands simply weren't considered. That left me feeling that the GS was the best next step for me. We'll see starting tomorrow.
Old 03-29-12, 10:25 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Interesting thread. I looked at the GS a few weeks ago when my LX was in for service, then went back for a test drive and ordered one on much the same impulse as the OP. While waiting for delivery, I reviewed in my head whether moving from my LS to a sports sedan makes sense (it does) and what other viable options are out there. Unlike the OP, I have a strong prejudice AGAINST German vehicles for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a crazy German ex-spouse who always wanted us to buy German cars. (Yes, a pretty illogical reason.) I eliminated Infiniti (no convenient dealer and never liked Nissan vehicles), Acura (not really a luxury brand), Cadillac (too many bad quality experiences), and Lincoln (too Taurus-esque or Fusion-esque). Other brands simply weren't considered. That left me feeling that the GS was the best next step for me. We'll see starting tomorrow.
I love EVERYTHING about the new GS350 except the size. If I was king for a day, I would have made it a tad bit bigger. Even with the current size, had I bought the Luxury instead of F Sport, I would have kept it.
Old 03-29-12, 10:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
I love EVERYTHING about the new GS350 except the size. If I was king for a day, I would have made it a tad bit bigger. Even with the current size, had I bought the Luxury instead of F Sport, I would have kept it.
so you prefer something bigger, in the league of s / 7 / ls?
Old 03-29-12, 10:34 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting comment about F-Sport vs Luxury. So the tipping point was the cosmetic look (grill, rims, etc)?

Good luck in your search. A major purpose of having a car in this price range is to enjoy it and be happy.
Old 03-29-12, 10:37 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rominl
so you prefer something bigger, in the league of s / 7 / ls?
Here's a thought.....what if the trunk of the new GS was perhaps two inches less in depth and the back seats gained two inches in legroom? You gotta admit the new GS has probably one of the most cavernous trunks in its class so losing two inches wouldn't be that drastic.

The S and 7 are both overkill but I find the LS to be a suitable size. Maybe I am disillusion but the LS doesn't seem to be as mammoth as the S and 7 and that's a good thing.
Old 03-29-12, 10:41 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mehran888
Interesting comment about F-Sport vs Luxury. So the tipping point was the cosmetic look (grill, rims, etc)?

Good luck in your search. A major purpose of having a car in this price range is to enjoy it and be happy.
You nailed it as that was the tipping point for me. No one's fault but my own because instead of being practical I was emotional.
Old 03-29-12, 10:47 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

At ~14 cubic feet, I think the GS trunk is just about right. As for back seat room, I would have kept my LS if that was still important for me. I used to regularly have one of our caregivers riding in the rear seat when taking my late wife to appointments. Alas, that need has changed for me. As others have said, the GS rear seat room seems to be adequate.
Old 03-29-12, 10:48 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Unlike me, you've had time to guess, second guess, and third guess yourself while waiting for your new GS to arrive. Until you take delivery of the vehicle and drive off the lot you can always change your mind but it sounds like you are comfortable with your decision.

I have NO DOUBT you will love the new GS350! Put it this way, before buying the new GS i had a MB E350 on order. Now after owning the GS I can say without a doubt I WILL NEVER CONSIDER AN E CLASS again. Well unless MB start over from scratch using the new GS as a benchmark.
Old 03-29-12, 10:52 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

At ~14 cubic feet, I think the GS trunk is just about right. As for back seat room, I would have kept my LS if that was still important for me. I used to regularly have one of our caregivers riding in the rear seat when taking my late wife to appointments. Alas, that need has changed for me. As others have said, the GS rear seat room seems to be adequate.
Condolences about your wife man........

It's just my wife and i so I don't have many people in the back seats. However, on occasions when the in-laws are in town or we are out with friends, I want to be comfortable as a driver and them to be comfortable passengers.
Old 03-29-12, 11:07 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a thought.....what if the trunk of the new GS was perhaps two inches less in depth and the back seats gained two inches in legroom? You gotta admit the new GS has probably one of the most cavernous trunks in its class so losing two inches wouldn't be that drastic.

The S and 7 are both overkill but I find the LS to be a suitable size. Maybe I am disillusion but the LS doesn't seem to be as mammoth as the S and 7 and that's a good thing.
The 535GT is noticeably more roomy than a normal 5 series or GS. It has rear space comparable to a SWB 750i or an LS. Its a pretty compelling choice for a family car in my opinion.

Plus for the enthisiast, Dinan tuning is now available for the 535GT and 535i.

OP - Are you able to recover the sales tax you paid?
Old 03-29-12, 11:10 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Condolences about your wife man........
Thanks. It was a tough year as she battled breast cancer, but the Lord decided to call her home late last summer, 15 years after she was supposed to pass due to a traumatic brain injury. My life has been on a strong rebound since the start of this year.
Old 03-29-12, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, the gs has a good trunk. actually since you pay more attention to space (cabin and trunk), so do i. how do you think the rear cabin and trunk space between the new gs, 5, and e? i like to see what you think. i also seem to get a feeling that mb knows how to do the space the best, i think the new e has great rear cabin / trunk space.

i guess it depends on which ls you look at. the s is huge and very long. they only come in lwb here in the US and even at that, the s lwb is longer than the ls460l i think. i had ls460l and now the s550 and the car is definitely long. the 7 comes in swb but it is more bulky and wide (seems), so yes, it seems like for what you need, the swb ls might be a perfect fit right between the gs and the next segment (size wise)
Old 03-29-12, 11:36 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, the gs has a good trunk. actually since you pay more attention to space (cabin and trunk), so do i. how do you think the rear cabin and trunk space between the new gs, 5, and e? i like to see what you think. i also seem to get a feeling that mb knows how to do the space the best, i think the new e has great rear cabin / trunk space.

i guess it depends on which ls you look at. the s is huge and very long. they only come in lwb here in the US and even at that, the s lwb is longer than the ls460l i think. i had ls460l and now the s550 and the car is definitely long. the 7 comes in swb but it is more bulky and wide (seems), so yes, it seems like for what you need, the swb ls might be a perfect fit right between the gs and the next segment (size wise)
rominl, after purchasing the 4G, you have no idea how much time I spent comparing the interior dimension of the 4G with the interior dimensions of the 535 and E Class!! On paper they are all similar but seriously I don't see it nor do I believe it! The rear cabin of the 535 and E Class are not cavernous by any means, but feel roomier than the rear cabin of the 4G.

My test is to set the driver's seat to my desired setting and then jump behind the driver's seat to assess the remaining room.

As for trunk space, they all are about the same to me.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 03-29-12 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Parted ways after three weeks!