GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
Old 12-16-14, 12:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

PTS-Joe Z Series Dual Exhaust System & Joe Z Intake for the 2013 GS (Video Update)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-13, 08:50 AM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b_rashed
So I'm coming from a long time owner of Mercedes and bmw v8 motors. The exhaust on those cars come out beast. I'm hesitant to do an exhaust on the 13 gs350 f sport bc 1) I don't want a loud annoying drone inside when I drive in low rpms and 2) a nasty ringing sound on the outside when driving. What do you guys suggest. Also what's the word on the intake from the is350s. Compatible?
it is an aftermarket performance exhaust (removes cat and resonator) so you will get drone. i am playing around with some sound deadening materials over the next few months (and my dB meter) to see if there is a way to quiet the drone, though not sure if anything works - but it will be a fun try. And there is no nasty ringing sound on the outside...just an awesome symphony - it sounds great that is...

You can get the intake from JoeZ - he sells one for the car, or you can get one from sewell: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5385.html
Old 09-09-13, 09:01 AM
b_rashed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikec78
it is an aftermarket performance exhaust (removes cat and resonator) so you will get drone. i am playing around with some sound deadening materials over the next few months (and my dB meter) to see if there is a way to quiet the drone, though not sure if anything works - but it will be a fun try. And there is no nasty ringing sound on the outside...just an awesome symphony - it sounds great that is...

You can get the intake from JoeZ - he sells one for the car, or you can get one from sewell: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/5385.html
I think I just have to hear another 350 Lexus motor soon.
And thank you for the link. I wasn't sure where I could get an intake from.
Old 09-09-13, 07:10 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Ok guys so I just got back from the dyno and here are the results below:

Before JoeZ exhaust install - max RWHP 270 TQ 250:

After JoeZ exhaust install - max RWHP 277 TQ 254:

I have to say I'm happy with the results but I expected a bit higher numbers (keep in mind I still only have the OEM exhaust). But if it matters, it was a hot rainy humid day in Miami so it may have slightly affected the numbers.

Here's some more pictures of the dyno;

Nice any ideas what the new crank hp numbers would be with the exhaust and intake?
Old 09-09-13, 07:14 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I need to find a nice place to open her up, legally of course. I took this slow take off video. Excuse the car alarm and jungle birds lol. http://youtu.be/kDhzM-1BUXY
Nice are you in Kendall Panache?
Old 09-09-13, 08:42 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
this is what I got when I got it installed in July, that is full catback and intake system, and that is a hub dyno.u will love it after it breaks in more.
Attached Thumbnails PTS-Joe Z Series Dual Exhaust System & Joe Z Intake for the 2013 GS (Video Update)-p1010317.jpg  
Old 09-09-13, 09:04 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Nope. I'm in Pembroke Pines, far far away from Kendall lol.
Old 09-09-13, 09:31 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. I'm in Pembroke Pines, far far away from Kendall lol.
I'm in Kendall lol, by the new baptist hospital. Pines is only like 30 min away lol
Old 09-09-13, 10:17 PM
alex206
Rookie

I have a AWD and want to know how much droning noise for an axle back...I know there was one member that said that he experienced droning noise...I am asking bc I just got a newborn and don't want him awaken by the noise...
Old 09-09-13, 10:26 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
I'm in Kendall lol, by the new baptist hospital. Pines is only like 30 min away lol
Yea, if you're flying. I consider everything in South Miami far. Too much traffic lol.

How's the exhaust!
Old 09-09-13, 10:41 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, if you're flying. I consider everything in South Miami far. Too much traffic lol.

How's the exhaust!
Yea traffic sucks in Kendall lol. The exhaust is great, I've been hearing some vibrations in the car under acceleration and I'm trying to figure out what it is its driving me crazy . And when I hit bumps it sounds like the exhaust is moving or bouncing, I gotta get that checked too. Other than that I love it
Old 09-09-13, 10:55 PM
mikec78
Driver

This is from my 2013 GS350 F-Sport with the FULL exhaust, X-pipe and all....

I thought a few of you would be interested in this since everyone talks about "drone". I don't remember who said it in this thread, but any performance exhaust will have drone...unless you figure out a way to silence it (with a resonator - but then why get the "x" pipes)...Or you can try putting some sound deadening all over your car (that could be another option)...I digress...

I just took my car for a spin up a pretty long hill by my house with a 7% grade (this way my foot would be on the gas most of the time). I strapped the GoPro to my steering column so I could measure the RPM levels and speed while my dB reader was recording all the data. I calibrated my dB meter before I left the house and had my laptop running the report while I was driving. The dB meter was sitting on the arm rest and didn't move. I had the car in Sport+ mode for 95% of the time (though no difference was had in the "drone" in regular or Sport+ mode), no AC on (which sucked), windows up...etc. Enough of the words...here is the graph of the raw data with some details...

** I have some sound deadening that I am going to try in phases in the car to see if I can get the dB levels down another 15-20dB (just to see if there is a way, as the mileage with people have varied from all different forums out there). It will take me a few months as I am traveling a lot, so I hope to post things in phases as I see what works and what doesn't work if anything...Either way, I love the exhaust so THANKS JOE Z for building this for us !!!!
Old 09-10-13, 09:15 AM
hypnotika
Driver

Thanks Mike for the research, I'm eager to see the results!

I thought a few of you would be interested in this since everyone talks about "drone". I don't remember who said it in this thread, but any performance exhaust will have drone...unless you figure out a way to silence it (with a resonator - but then why get the "x" pipes)...Or you can try putting some sound deadening all over your car (that could be another option)...I digress...

I just took my car for a spin up a pretty long hill by my house with a 7% grade (this way my foot would be on the gas most of the time). I strapped the GoPro to my steering column so I could measure the RPM levels and speed while my dB reader was recording all the data. I calibrated my dB meter before I left the house and had my laptop running the report while I was driving. The dB meter was sitting on the arm rest and didn't move. I had the car in Sport+ mode for 95% of the time (though no difference was had in the "drone" in regular or Sport+ mode), no AC on (which sucked), windows up...etc. Enough of the words...here is the graph of the raw data with some details...

** I have some sound deadening that I am going to try in phases in the car to see if I can get the dB levels down another 15-20dB (just to see if there is a way, as the mileage with people have varied from all different forums out there). It will take me a few months as I am traveling a lot, so I hope to post things in phases as I see what works and what doesn't work if anything...Either way, I love the exhaust so THANKS JOE Z for building this for us !!!!
Old 09-10-13, 11:16 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

how does the sound travel from the exhaust into the cabin? How would you apply the deadening material and what pattern? just something to think about rather than just putting it on there. Good thing you have tools to measure results. Can't wait to find out what you find.
Old 09-13-13, 12:06 AM
mikec78
Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
how does the sound travel from the exhaust into the cabin? How would you apply the deadening material and what pattern? just something to think about rather than just putting it on there. Good thing you have tools to measure results. Can't wait to find out what you find.
sam430 - well the resonance frequency is about 134Hz at around 2000rpm's....but that still doesn't tell us where it enters the cabin - I agree. My assumption is that it enters from all over and I am going to start with the trunk and work my way inside. (Trunk to start, then remove back seats second, then third remove the flooring). Hopefully the trunk will be the money spot and possibly the back seat at the most.
From what I can see there are vent's inside the trunk on both sides of the wheel wells (assumption is to let fumes vent from inside to outside of the car (if a gas leak or something)?? - don't know though. Therefore to me, that is a prime spot for the noise to leak inside. Then after further inspection the back seat insulation is totally crappy, so I am going to apply a sound deadening insulation to the back seat. (there is a ton of space to add this) There wouldn't be any pattern to follow, just cover all the areas that could possibly leak inside the cabin - that's where I am going to start.

This process will take time as I have non right now and will do little steps on the weekends...measure results on the same drive and see what happens.
1) dynamat entire trunk
2) sound deadening rubber (over wheel wells and flooring)
3) sound deadening insulation (behind back seat to start)

We will see what happens...and hopefully I find the silver bullet that removes the drone .
Old 09-13-13, 05:15 AM
lexesty72
Driver

I noticed the drone is coming mostly from the trunk area. I hope the drone will be reduced later or it's quite annoying. Other than that, it sounds great under heavy acceleration.

Quick Reply: PTS-Joe Z Series Dual Exhaust System & Joe Z Intake for the 2013 GS (Video Update)