GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS vs new ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 03:46 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post GS vs new ES Styling/Exterior Design Discussion

I just saw pics of the new ES and I think it looks great. In comparison the GS looks totally dated. This comment is not to say the ES is a better car, obviously the GS engineering standards are vastly superior, it is just a comment about styling and how Lexus has evolved the styling to make it much more fluent than the abrasive 4GS styling.

Check these out:

1) I like the ES grille because the bumper extends above the grille which makes it look more sporty. The BMW 5 series also uses this design technique. It looks much more modern than the traditional grille treatment on the GS.

2) I like that the metal trim around the grille extends to the bottom making it look like one big grille. It is much more aggressive than the separated grille on the GS. They should have done the GS this way. I bet they will in the mid-cycle refresh.

3) Classier taillights. Very LS like. Also I like the LED tubes which extend and curve up. These look like luxury car lights, whereas the GS ones don't.

4) GS interior is better, but the ES interior is better than its predecessor. I like the way the center console curves up though. I am very surprised they didn't update the shifter, or at minimum use a shorter lever.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-25-12 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-23-12, 05:21 PM
GSfsport
Driver

the es looks nice the interior is nothing compared to the gs, but i still perfer the gs fsport, probably because i like the aggressive look. but mostly i hate hate about the es, is that it is front wheel drive. its a good lux car for the price but not a lux sport like the gs that puts a smile on my face.
Old 02-23-12, 05:33 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Batman,

The GS looks more modern than the ES in my opinion as it is sharper looking. The ES is a bit soft and the rear tailights are classy but not fitting for the GS. The GS tailights are sporty and have nice LED lights. You do not want to overdo the lights or they become a bit mundane on a car. I find the ES taillights boring and the GS just about right after seeing the GS in person. However the GS lights could be slightly bigger. I am surprise that since you are a 5 series owner like me and you like the ES more than the GS? Its the new european regulations that makes the 5 front a big bulky and sometimes I feel its a big snouty and so do many people online. But BMW executed it well.

Last edited by Rexus300; 02-23-12 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 05:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Batman,

The GS looks more modern than the ES in my opinion as it is sharper looking. The ES is a bit soft and the rear tailights are classy but not fitting for the GS. The GS tailights are sporty and have nice LED lights. You do not want to overdo the lights or they become a bit mundane on a car. I find the ES taillights boring and the GS just about right after seeing the GS in person. However the GS lights could be slightly bigger. I am surprise that since you are a 5 series owner like me and you like the ES more than the GS? Its the new european regulations that makes the 5 front a big bulky and sometimes I feel its a big snouty and so do many people online. But BMW executed it well.
Don't get me wrong. I don't like the ES as a car. I just think the styling looks up to date, whereas the 4GS styling seems very 2005 to me. Also I find the GS taillights look cheap. Very cheap.

I think the front grille treatment and the taillights on the ES are great. Also the shape is generally more sleek. The main issue with it is the hood is too sloped, and the front and rear overhangs are a bit big. But the car looks very modern.
Old 02-24-12, 06:45 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Gosh! That front grill with the thick upper lip on the ES is just nasty!!! I hate ES as a car. Drives like a boat and looks like a Camry. Now this new styling is just hideous. Lexus is doing what Acura is doing back in 2009 when they introduce the Megatron grill. It will take them a couple more years to make it look decent IMO.
Some car will wear the new "Spindle" nicely like the GS/RX, some will not.
Old 02-24-12, 07:26 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

One thing I really don't like about the GS, and the ES is only slightly better is that the center console does not integrate with the dash. They remind me of American cars back in the '60s when they started offering bucket seats and console. They didn't match up because the dash had to be made for cars with bench seats.

Overall I'm really not feeling the love with the new cars. They are nice cars, and do offer many improvements. But the cars just don't knock me out. In this price range, I really want to feel like I've bought something special.
Old 02-24-12, 07:37 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

don't like anything about the new ES. and i've owned 2,, 2011. one blue one smoky.
Old 02-24-12, 08:05 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What makes the ES front look better is the area around the fog lights. The GS fog surrounds look like Darth Vaders helment.
The ES surrounds look like custom bodykit.

If this is really the new ES it looks a lot better than the GS in my view. If the spindle wasn't so pronounced, it would be so nice.
Old 02-24-12, 10:22 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
One thing I really don't like about the GS, and the ES is only slightly better is that the center console does not integrate with the dash. They remind me of American cars back in the '60s when they started offering bucket seats and console. They didn't match up because the dash had to be made for cars with bench seats.

Overall I'm really not feeling the love with the new cars. They are nice cars, and do offer many improvements. But the cars just don't knock me out. In this price range, I really want to feel like I've bought something special.
Our 2006 Audi A8L has that same characteristic to the dash console. Take a look at the pictures online and its not that big of an issue or problem at all. Nothing like the older cars. The GS does have an amazing dash and its a much more special looking car than the older 2006 GS that i had and its definitely much more refined and superior that the Acura TL which I despise. The TL is hideous inside and out and very busy looking and the ride my god is so terrible over bumps and is very rough on highways. The handling is not as good as the new GS or even the older GS. Thats my opinion.

After owning the 2011 BMW 535i, I am still very impressed with the 2013 GS and find it more special than majority of the midsize luxury sports sedan and its a great contender.
Old 02-24-12, 11:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
i love the new ES look, i think it looks like class above vehicle overall... but looking at them together, I also think there is no doubt to which is more expensive and sportier car. Effect might be more prominent due to ES color but at the same time, i dont think that ES has that cool new silver that new GS has, or that red which is crazy nice.
Old 02-24-12, 12:00 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks great great job Lexus on the new style/design! that red is something I would buy!!
Old 02-24-12, 01:33 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Our 2006 Audi A8L has that same characteristic to the dash console. Take a look at the pictures online and its not that big of an issue or problem at all. Nothing like the older cars. The GS does have an amazing dash and its a much more special looking car than the older 2006 GS that i had and its definitely much more refined and superior that the Acura TL which I despise. The TL is hideous inside and out and very busy looking and the ride my god is so terrible over bumps and is very rough on highways. The handling is not as good as the new GS or even the older GS. Thats my opinion.

After owning the 2011 BMW 535i, I am still very impressed with the 2013 GS and find it more special than majority of the midsize luxury sports sedan and its a great contender.
I respect your opinion, but I don't feel the same way. I sat in the 2012 GS the other day, so I'm not going by pics. I don't care for the interior. Individual components look fine, but they look like they were designed by several people who never met each other until they were done.

We have a TL SH-AWD as you obviously noted. I hated the looks of the 10-11, but the changes to the 12 fixed most of what I didn't like. I can at least understand why some folks don't like it, so won't argue the point. But this I will argue. There is simply no comparison between the handling of our SH-AWD and my GS. The TL handles light years better than my GS. I have not driven the new GS so I can't comment on that. And yes, the TL rides a little rougher, but that is simply a matter of accepting what is more important - ride or handling. The TL is also a much more solid car than the GS.
Old 02-24-12, 02:04 PM
LexFather

I guess I'm confused why a bunch of people that have no interest in buying the 4GS are so vocal in multiple threads about it? Then we haven't even seen the ES in the flesh yet. To top that off it is still FWD and proportions on FWD cars rarely come off successfully with luxurious proportions, like the awful TL for instance.

Like it or not this is the new face of Lexus. To Lexus credit, looking at pics, the vehicle seem to share the same grill, the new LED tubes (which are already on the LS) but don't look like same design different length cars so far.

jjscix, it takes trick AWD to make the TL handle better than the GS (which it does handle better than the 3GS as you noted), 10% sold are AWD, 90% sold FWD, 4% sold are a manual. So no one buys it, no one tracks it and they are hardly modded with no aftermarket support. Its built in Ohio, Accord based and is ES competition. Honda did a great job with SH-AWD, it is a fantastic system but the car has been out 4 years and enthusiasts have avoided it like the plague. No one seems to care how good it handles. And its not just the front end, the entire car is terrible and a horrible design, poor Acura wanted to sell 70,000 and sell around 30-34,000 a year. Their volume car. (contrarily your C6 is the **** )

Some have no desire for FWD based cars or AWD cars. Its apples to oranges.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-24-12 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 02:31 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
1) I like the ES grille because the bumper extends above the grille which makes it look more sporty. The BMW 5 series also uses this design technique. It looks much more modern than the traditional grille treatment on the GS.
That happens to my least favorite bit on the new ES. It makes the front look awkward and frumpy to me. I guess it's just polarizing.

I do pretty much agree with the rest of your points though.
Old 02-24-12, 03:38 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
What makes the ES front look better is the area around the fog lights. The GS fog surrounds look like Darth Vaders helment.
The ES surrounds look like custom bodykit.

If this is really the new ES it looks a lot better than the GS in my view. If the spindle wasn't so pronounced, it would be so nice.
Agree. I also find the way it wraps around looks more dynamic than the GS design.

It seems that with the GS they were too concerned to bridge the new language and the old design language and you ended up with a 2IS with a Darthvader grille. The ES looks more fluent - like a fully new design. The styling is more coherent as if it was designed by one designer.

Quick Reply: GS vs new ES