GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

On the fence between Premium and Lux

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 06:04 PM
LEX900
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the fence between Premium and Lux

Test drove the Lux model recently. I got to open it up a little and I switched between the sport and sport plus modes but couldn't really feel a difference in the 2. Question for anyone that has driven both Premium and Lux:

1- is there much of a notable difference in drivability? Does having S+ really make a difference? (Again, I couldn't feel much of a diff)
2- I know the prestige has 10 way seats, but is seat comfort that different?
3- Are the manual rear seat window shades an option or can they be purchased separately through Lexus? Since they don't come with the Prestige I want to add this on since I may have a baby seat back there.

I'm leaning towards the Premium since I hate the lux wheels btw.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Old 02-20-12, 06:14 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX900
Test drove the Lux model recently. I got to open it up a little and I switched between the sport and sport plus modes but couldn't really feel a difference in the 2. Question for anyone that has driven both Premium and Lux:

1- is there much of a notable difference in drivability? Does having S+ really make a difference? (Again, I couldn't feel much of a diff)
3- Are the manual rear seat window shades an option or can they be purchased separately through Lexus? Since they don't come with the Prestige I want to add this on since I may have a baby seat back there.

I drove both and couldn't tell the difference.

The Luxury has the 16/18 way seats of which the thigh support is my favorite feature along with the adjustable side bolsters.

The manual rear seat window shades seem to be a factory option only.
Old 02-20-12, 06:46 PM
mendeljr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1- you will only notice the difference in S+ when driving the vehicle hard. At high RPM in S+ and manual trans mode you will get crisper upshifts and throttle blips on downshift. Also while corning, you get corner dependent adjustments from the AVS. So if you are in an area with curvy roads or don't drive the car at higher RPM, you won't feel much if any difference from the regular car.

2- I think the 18 ways in the Luxury are great. I really like the side bolster adjustment and the way the seat back has the lower, mid, and upper area adjsutability.

3- The manual side shades are only part of the Luxury package and not available as stand alone options.

And I agree, the Luxury wheels are not as nice as the 18" on the other car.

Scott
Old 02-23-12, 05:24 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

get the f-sport
Old 02-23-12, 05:50 PM
GSfsport
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree get the fsport, but im just wondering why wouldnt they have 18ways adjustable seats like the lux version for the f sport. i would expect the sports have more seating settings
Old 02-23-12, 06:44 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSfsport
i agree get the fsport, but im just wondering why wouldnt they have 18ways adjustable seats like the lux version for the f sport. i would expect the sports have more seating settings
Vintage Ferrari seats... stop your whining. :P

Old 02-23-12, 06:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX900

Its all about preference and how much more money you want to shell out. A simple test drive is not going to show the differences between Sport & Sport + modes.

1. If you're driving mainly freeway and going to and from home and work, havng S+ isn't going to be a huge deal. If you do enjoy a bit of spirited driving, you would want S+ for suspension dampening and tighter steering feel.

2. The seat comfort between the 10 way and 18 are very comparable as they are the same overall shape. Although there are more adjustments to the backrest on the 18 way luxury seats. They include lower pelvic, upper torso, seat cushion length, side bolster adjustment and the headrest butterfly. F Sport doesn't have the upper torso angle adjustment.

Standard 10 way:

Luxury 18 way:

F Sport 16 way:

3. No, the sunshades are built into the door trim panel.

Old 02-23-12, 07:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by GSfsport
Because you don't need butterfly seats and upper angle thrust adjustment on a sport themed vehicle.
Old 02-23-12, 10:22 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I say just go for the Luxury...