Retaining power after stopping engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 12:04 AM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retaining power after stopping engine

I have few questions to owners.
1. If you stop engine, can you still open/close windows, operate radio and do other actions requiring electricity? I have LS and it is sad that nothing works after stopping engine. I liked that BMW kept car powered for several minutes.

2. Can you see song names and phone book entires in other than English languages? For example I have several Chinese and Indian albums and was upset not seeing their names in navigation screen Sure BMW never had such problem.
Old 02-17-12, 05:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

1) Retained accessory power for windows and moonroof is standard on all GS models. It's a common feature that has worked on many Lexus models for several years now.

2) The North American NAV screen only reads US english language characters.
Old 02-17-12, 05:33 PM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flipside909
This makes me very sad. Apple was smart to support all languages on their mobile devices, and there's no technical reason why this cannot be accomplished on a system built into a car, where power, storage, and others aren't nearly as big concerns as mobile devices. I'm not sure why Lexus has repeatedly decided to not support more languages.
Old 02-17-12, 05:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Glaphmion
This makes me very sad. Apple was smart to support all languages on their mobile devices, and there's no technical reason why this cannot be accomplished on a system built into a car, where power, storage, and others aren't nearly as big concerns as mobile devices. I'm not sure why Lexus has repeatedly decided to not support more languages.
Yeah tell me about it. The biggest drawback is that all the nav brains are sourced from different suppliers worldwide. Denso provides the interface for North America, Aisin provides the interface for Europe, etc. etc.
Old 02-17-12, 05:44 PM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Yeah tell me about it. The biggest drawback is that all the nav brains are sourced from different suppliers worldwide. Denso provides the interface for North America, Aisin provides the interface for Europe, etc. etc.
Interesting. I thought it's all Denso, world-wide. I've ridden in a GS in Asia where the nav could display TV shows and whatnot, with no in-motion lock-out. Not to mention support for displaying all Asian an European characters. Perhaps we should start a petition?
Old 02-17-12, 06:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Interesting. I thought it's all Denso, world-wide. I've ridden in a GS in Asia where the nav could display TV shows and whatnot, with no in-motion lock-out. Not to mention support for displaying all Asian an European characters. Perhaps we should start a petition?
no, lexus in asia / japan also have video lock out when driving. there are systems to be installed to enable that of course
Old 02-17-12, 06:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

1) Retained accessory power for windows and moonroof is standard on all GS models. It's a common feature that has worked on many Lexus models for several years now.

to be exactly, i think it's if you haven't opened the door after shutting off the car? i think if you shut off car, you can still roll up windows and such. but if door is open, then all power cut.

and unless 4gs system has changed, on previous lexus if you shut off the car, radio and nav all shut down as well. only way is to keep the car in D (not P) and shut off the power. then acc will still be on, then you can **** it into P
Old 02-17-12, 06:54 PM
Dema
Pole Position

So it looks like LS flagship model is behind of GS. Very true not only for Lexus, many makers introduce features in lower grade model and then port them in flagship. Regarding retaining power BMW is best, but the feature is really funny in Mercedes, if you have keyless start, then after stopping engine radio and other services retain powered, until you open door, but if no keyless then after stopping engine and actually pulling a key off ignitationwill cut power. I looks I need to go to a dealer and actually check behavior.
Old 02-17-12, 09:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

pushing the power button to turn off the car will cut power to everything except windows and moonroof until you open any door or after like 30 seconds. You lose radio functions. If you dont want that, a workaround would be to put the car in neutral and then push the power button to turn off the car. This will put the car in ACC mode so the radio/nav and windows will still be working, then just put the car in park
Old 02-18-12, 10:39 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rominl
no, lexus in asia / japan also have video lock out when driving. there are systems to be installed to enable that of course
Just checked with my friend over in Asia. She said that the dealer helped her install an override before delivering the vehicle. Wish we had that here.
Old 02-18-12, 03:31 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RXSF
pushing the power button to turn off the car will cut power to everything except windows and moonroof until you open any door or after like 30 seconds. You lose radio functions. If you dont want that, a workaround would be to put the car in neutral and then push the power button to turn off the car. This will put the car in ACC mode so the radio/nav and windows will still be working, then just put the car in park
Or how about Turing off the car, then pushing the power button twice with out pressing the brake pedal..

A much easier version of ACC mode

~ Joe Z
Old 02-18-12, 04:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Or how about Turing off the car, then pushing the power button twice with out pressing the brake pedal..

~ Joe Z
that would suck if you are talking over the bluetooth or something similar to that... thats why pushing to N, then turning off the car and then pushing to P, works great :-)
Old 02-18-12, 10:47 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by spwolf
that would suck if you are talking over the bluetooth or something similar to that... thats why pushing to N, then turning off the car and then pushing to P, works great :-)
LoL.... Please use the "Transfer Call" button... That's why it's there..!!
Old 02-18-12, 11:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i think pushing the button twice means unnecessary rebooting of a lot of car systems. the nav, the radio all have to turn off and then restart within a second. that cant be good for them
Old 02-18-12, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Just checked with my friend over in Asia. She said that the dealer helped her install an override before delivering the vehicle. Wish we had that here.
there is. a lot of people here including me have their system to override our nav here in the US (and enable video)

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

Originally Posted by Joe Z

~ Joe Z
haha come on, so transfer to phone, shut off, then press twice, then wait for BT to connect again? i would much rather shut off when car is in neutral

Quick Reply: Retaining power after stopping engine