GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Test Drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 09:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I test drove a base model today. It didn't have wood steering wheel or leg extension or any of the controls in the backseat armrest. The car is VERY smooth. The steering is much tighter. I was really impressed with how it drove. It didn't seem to accelerate as quickly as I thought it would and we had it in Sport mode.

They had just gotten 3 F-Sport models off of the truck and hadn't taken any of the plastic off yet so I couldn't drive one of those. The "loaded" up model was on the showroom floor (non F-Sport). The wood steering wheel is a step up for this generation....much nicer. The leg extension is a nice feature. The back door sun shades are integrated well....just wish they were electronically controlled. The trunk opening is huge...much better! The sticker on their showroom model was $61K..had everything except F-Sport options.

They had a red F-Sport model that hadn't been cleaned up yet, but that red color is SWEET. That will be the color I choose if I can get a reasonable deal on one.
Great comments!

The big question is: does the new GS make you totally forget "old" Lexus of the past.
Old 02-03-12, 10:24 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is coming from a guy who owned a 2006 Lexus GS300 and had a 2011 lemon BMW 535i xdrive. I drove the new GS and wow I was thrown away at how un-lexus like this GS was. It was sharper, more nimbler than my BMW 535i and felt smooth and sporty at the same time without any compromise. The acceleration was so accurate and smooth up to 100 mph on the highway which is superior than the lag of the turbo on the 535i xdrive that i got rid of. The 5 felt numb, floaty, wallowy and very un-BMW like. Imagine how the F-sport will feel as I drove only the premium package with the 18 inch wheel option GS. I am amazed at this GS that I am so happy to say that I am getting one next month to add to my fleet that includes 3 german cars. Lexus, you have done your homework, keep up the good work! Its going to be fun battling with the BMW, Mercedes and Audi now!
Old 02-03-12, 11:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very positive review so far, this is great!!!! i can't wait to drive the car

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Im sold now I just need to wait tell May when the 450h comes out. Also the dealership was Herb Chambers Lexus.
that's the problem though, no? i don't think there is 450h fsport?
Old 02-04-12, 06:27 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
very positive review so far, this is great!!!! i can't wait to drive the car

that's the problem though, no? i don't think there is 450h fsport?
Really I thought there was one, thought I saw a GS450h F-Sport, damn this is going to make my decision harder to make. Guess I might need to wait for the GS-F to debut.

Last edited by bigblack06; 02-04-12 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-04-12, 06:44 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Really I thought there was one, thought I saw a GS450h F-Sport, damn this is going to make my decision harder to make. Guess I might need to wait for the GS-F to debut.
I believe there have been some pictures posted on this forum of the 450h in both F-Sport and AWD trims. Alas those cars were not for North American market.
Old 02-04-12, 06:47 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
I believe there have been some pictures posted on this forum of the 450h in both F-Sport and AWD trims. Alas those cars were not for North American market.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-12, 07:03 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, the pics posted of a 450h F-Sport were from Japan.

I didn't get enough time in the 4GS to "forget" about the Lexus of old, but my initial reaction was "wow, they tightened the steering". Also, I don't think they're doing run-flats anymore, which probably adds to the "smooth" feeling that I had. Quieter, smoother, better road feel, and the interior is top notch. If you can get past the fugly "premium" wheels and the horizontal grille lines, it's really a nice car. You give up a lot of the luxury niceties if you go F-Sport though, but the price is almost the same compared to the "luxury" version.
Old 02-04-12, 07:44 AM
bigblack06

Yeah, the pics posted of a 450h F-Sport were from Japan.

I didn't get enough time in the 4GS to "forget" about the Lexus of old, but my initial reaction was "wow, they tightened the steering". Also, I don't think they're doing run-flats anymore, which probably adds to the "smooth" feeling that I had. Quieter, smoother, better road feel, and the interior is top notch. If you can get past the fugly "premium" wheels and the horizontal grille lines, it's really a nice car. You give up a lot of the luxury niceties if you go F-Sport though, but the price is almost the same compared to the "luxury" version.
Yeah, verified by dealer they dont know they said they think there should be one. They are doing run-flats, my test car had run-flats and I felt a weird feeling when driving the car as if it was on a track, you know how you slip a little just without the slipping. It was quiter and I must say I have to say the same all I could say was wow for interior, thats what stuck out for me on difference. Thats the main problem Im having is what I would be giving up and its annoying me as I want most of those features but want that body kit and rear-steering.
Old 02-04-12, 10:15 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Oh and that "Flaxen" interior is AWFUL! My dealer had one that just got off the truck with that interior and it's not good. To each their own.
Old 02-04-12, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah from what i know gsh has no fsport here in the US. messed up....

and tightened steering, i really can't wait to try the driving part
Old 02-04-12, 11:18 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Oh and that "Flaxen" interior is AWFUL! My dealer had one that just got off the truck with that interior and it's not good. To each their own.
I agree! I found the flaxen to be a bit too brownish for my taste. I saw the grey interior and wow its perfect with the black piping stitches on the seats and dashboard. It was my favorite one and I will be getting that interior. It felt cool, sporty, and modern.
Old 02-04-12, 01:25 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

The black F-Sport interior has white stitching. Thought it looked good.
Old 02-04-12, 02:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a shame that you can't get wood with the F Sport package...that's a bummer, but one of those annoying "can't customize" Lexus annoyances.
Old 02-05-12, 09:23 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

One thing i really hated on the test drive was how loud the turn signal sound was. It was so annoying and sounded like my older American tik-tik-tik signal sounds. What happened to the nice quiet Lexus refined signal sound???? Not even my BMW, Mercedes, or Audi sounds like this loud!
Old 02-05-12, 09:47 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I though things like loudness of turn signal is a dealer modifiable software option? Flipside might know better....

Quick Reply: Test Drives