Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 01:16 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry
a few questions and notes
- there are cars with electronic roof screens now? haven't seen any, that would be cool
- electric trunk, i thought 4gs has electric trunk opening and closing? maybe you mean you can't close the trunk from inside the car?
- rear cabin size, how would you rate it in person, compared to your gs460, when the front seats are in driving positions?
- i like the aluminum trim on the fsport, though definitely better if they have more freedom on choices
1) My 2012 550i has an electronic sunroof screen

2) The dealer told me the trunk is not electric opening or closing and that it is not available. None of the cars that I looked at had this feature, and the one parked next to mine was a fully loaded luxury package model. BTW the BMW one is pretty advanced - you walk up to the car, wave your foot under the rear bumper and it opens hands free - great if you are carrying groceries.

3) Rear cabin size is much improved. In fact in my driving position the GS has slightly more rear leg room that the F10 (which is surprising because the Lexus people told me that the BMW has more rear room measurement). I think it is to do with the superior adjustability of the Lexus driver's seat which allow you more height adjustment, which reduces need to have it low and back. Rear leg room is vastly better than the GS460 - it was at least 2-3 inches more in my seating position.

4) The aluminum trim is the best aluminum trim I have seen from any car OEM. I like the textured feeling. It is a nice trim. However the f-Sport interior just looks cheap compared with that luxury package interior. Look at the interior of my car - an M-Sport but the wood really enhances the appearance - makes it look rich.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-02-12 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-02-12, 03:44 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Batman, your pictures are the best I've seen of the new GS...real world...and I particularly like the side-by-sides with your 550i...great perspective. IMO, the GS looks like one of its parents was German. As for the head-on shots, as I looked at them I couldn't help but think that Lexus must have staged a massive raid on Darth Vader's helmet closet!
Old 02-02-12, 05:32 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Batman, your pictures are the best I've seen of the new GS...real world...and I particularly like the side-by-sides with your 550i...great perspective. IMO, the GS looks like one of its parents was German. As for the head-on shots, as I looked at them I couldn't help but think that Lexus must have staged a massive raid on Darth Vader's helmet closet!
Thanks. It's all the camera! Fujifilm X10.
Old 02-02-12, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
1) My 2012 550i has an electronic sunroof screen

2) The dealer told me the trunk is not electric opening or closing and that it is not available. None of the cars that I looked at had this feature, and the one parked next to mine was a fully loaded luxury package model. BTW the BMW one is pretty advanced - you walk up to the car, wave your foot under the rear bumper and it opens hands free - great if you are carrying groceries.

3) Rear cabin size is much improved. In fact in my driving position the GS has slightly more rear leg room that the F10 (which is surprising because the Lexus people told me that the BMW has more rear room measurement). I think it is to do with the superior adjustability of the Lexus driver's seat which allow you more height adjustment, which reduces need to have it low and back. Rear leg room is vastly better than the GS460 - it was at least 2-3 inches more in my seating position.

4) The aluminum trim is the best aluminum trim I have seen from any car OEM. I like the textured feeling. It is a nice trim. However the f-Sport interior just looks cheap compared with that luxury package interior. Look at the interior of my car - an M-Sport but the wood really enhances the appearance - makes it look rich.
awesome reply as usual

i never looked at that feature on the f10, darn can you take a video of that? that's always a "complaint" i have on cars. the roof is powered, but always have to deal with the screen, especially when closing

i am very surprised on the trunk, maybe someone else can comment on it. i remember seeing picture and talk on the power trunk availability on the 4gs. i agree it's very weird if they don't have that feature on the car yet. and i agree with you too, the system on the f10 (and some other cars) are awesome with the swing of your foot

i am so glad to hear about rear cabin room, one of the two biggest complaints i have on the 3gs, i can't wait to experience that myself!
Old 02-02-12, 09:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Batman, does your 550i have something like these controls, or are they at rear of the centre console? Definitive plus for Lexus is so. While we are counting things :-).

I would also preffer wood trim with F-Sport, although again, I like the choices they made in general with F-Sport to make it same price as Luxury package. It is simply driver oriented so they skimped on rear controls and passanger seats (good decision imho, as here in Europe GS450 will likely cost 120k-150k already due to sliding taxes).
Old 02-02-12, 09:18 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The base model GS with the horizontal grille looks dead on the current ES........AWFUL! Then add the same circular fog lights and you've got an ES....good work Lexus.

I like the exterior looks of the F-Sport much better. That red looks sweet...will need to check that out. So if you have the driving mode in Sport S+, does that lower the car, if so, just keep it in S+ all the time. Really looking forward to seeing this in person and hopefully getting a chance to drive one.

One other thing, being that they're releasing the 2013 in Feb 2012...does that mean we go until October/November 2013 before we see the MY2014? In the end, I think I will wait until it's confirmed that they will upgrade the engine and transmission.

Thanks Batman for the pictures and the write-up. Gives me more to think about, especially if the F-Sport feels cheap.

Last edited by jtrue28; 02-02-12 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-02-12, 09:36 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do agree the 4GS needs to look a little better. Overall, I also don't find the BMW 550 that good looking and BMW's interior is bland to me. I prefer Lexus or Audi's interior the most. Is the white color the same as the white on the ISF? If not they should of went with that one because the white on the IS stands out.
Old 02-02-12, 10:44 AM
Lexus408
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. The new GS F-Sport is a beautiful car.
Old 02-02-12, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The base model GS with the horizontal grille looks dead on the current ES........AWFUL! Then add the same circular fog lights and you've got an ES....good work Lexus.

I like the exterior looks of the F-Sport much better. That red looks sweet...will need to check that out. So if you have the driving mode in Sport S+, does that lower the car, if so, just keep it in S+ all the time. Really looking forward to seeing this in person and hopefully getting a chance to drive one.

One other thing, being that they're releasing the 2013 in Feb 2012...does that mean we go until October/November 2013 before we see the MY2014? In the end, I think I will wait until it's confirmed that they will upgrade the engine and transmission.

Thanks Batman for the pictures and the write-up. Gives me more to think about, especially if the F-Sport feels cheap.
someone can correct me, but i thought S+ or whatever modes, it changes the dampening but not ride height?

i am probably in the minority that i prefer horizontal slates on the grill rather than vertical. i never like that on the 1gs, never care for the 2gs, and same thing with 3gs. my gs400 i changed to junction produce grille. on my gs350 i changed to lxmode grille. i am actually ok with the horizontal slates, even when they are black. when they are chrome, it might work better for the luxury model (not the fsport).
Old 02-02-12, 11:49 AM
justjosh
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What I don't like is they completely lost the sedan/coupe look. The 2gs and 3gs always had that coupe look like the Mercedes CLS but now the 4gs looks like a normal midsize sedan. The horizontal grill on everything but the F-sport looks horrible. Don't like the yellow in the rear taillights. Don't know why they don't use clear to start off with cause when they refresh the car in a few years it will have clear tails. Just like they did on the LXs. Hated the yellow tails on the 08-12 LXs and what do you know the 13s have clear tails. Like has been said the headlights don't look like anything special and aren't very detailed. Interior looks amazing though and is definitely best in class. Wheels on the GS F-sport don't look that great either. I just want them to hurry up and release the friggin GS-F with a V10. I will be at the dealer to buy one the day they go on sale.
Old 02-02-12, 12:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtrue28

If you remember when I reviewed the Infiniti M56S, I said that one of Infiniti's biggest mistakes was the false choices you had to make between sport and luxury - inability to have extended leather, soft touch materials, enhanced wood, beige leather or suede like headliner on the Sport model.

I think the Lexus has the same problem. The F-Sport has the better exterior, and the Luxury package has the better interior, and you can't have both! It's very disappointing. I am not in market for a V6 sedan, but if I were, I would forego the GS for this reason alone. I ignore Mercedes for lack of interior trim options as well.
Old 02-02-12, 12:57 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

Batman, does your 550i have something like these controls, or are they at rear of the centre console? Definitive plus for Lexus is so. While we are counting things :-).

I would also preffer wood trim with F-Sport, although again, I like the choices they made in general with F-Sport to make it same price as Luxury package. It is simply driver oriented so they skimped on rear controls and passanger seats (good decision imho, as here in Europe GS450 will likely cost 120k-150k already due to sliding taxes).
They do have something similar but it is on the center console. Also the BMW one offers separate left and right rear AC controls (as opposed to single zone in GS) and controls for the rear heated/ventilated seats, and the sun shade. However the BMW doesn't have rear audio controls unless you also buy the rear seat entertainment package (video).
Old 02-02-12, 01:09 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Okay, hold-up, you can only control the rear sunshade with the rear seat control box? WTF? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, my dealer just called me, they're getting their initial shipment this afternoon. I will check them out tomorrow and hopefully get to drive one. If there are any other unanswered questions anyone has, just let me know.

Definitely has to be an F-Sport, but I'm torn between colors now...the Red and Black look freaking amazing. I don't want white and I don't want silver, so it's down to red, black or grey.
Old 02-02-12, 01:11 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the photos and review. I've still not fully warmed to the exterior, but the interior and driving reviews have been excellent from pretty much everything I've read or heard (have a friend in the industry that went to the LV event and got to drive them). I'll hold judgement on the car as a whole until I can drive it. If they had to miss on something, a less than perfect exterior would be my choice over a weak interior or driving dynamics. Case in point, the E60 is very unattractive compared to the E39 and F series IMO.
Old 02-02-12, 01:15 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
awesome reply as usual

i never looked at that feature on the f10, darn can you take a video of that? that's always a "complaint" i have on cars. the roof is powered, but always have to deal with the screen, especially when closing.
I just emailed you a video to your gmail account.

Quick Reply: Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics