GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Automobile & Motor Trend Mag: Lexus GS Challenge - Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 04:38 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
I wish to see how A6 stands against these numbers. I have subjective feel, it will top all these cars.
A6 will have better acceleration and braking but will lag in handling and steering. It will also need AWD.
Old 01-31-12, 06:11 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
I wish to see how A6 stands against these numbers. I have subjective feel, it will top all these cars.

Edit: I found confirmation http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...a6_first_test/
Yes Audi is far ahead, however price point can make your decision toward Lexus, unless you want wifi router in dash.
I think the Audi is equally inexpensive like the Lexus when it comes to street price. The issue is that the Audi feels cheap. When you are inside the Audi there is a ton of plastic, there seats only have leather on center panels, but vinyl on the bolsters, that interior is the worst in this segment in my opinion. Audis materials and finishes are not much better than KIAs in my opinion.
Old 01-31-12, 07:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
So GS350 F-Sport:
- faster on autox track, "a lot easier to drive"
- better brakes, 106ft vs 114ft on BMW vs 121ft on MB
- acceleration: Lexus fastest, surprised everyone at high rpms where it kept going.

And now we know why they stuck with GR V6. Because it kicks **** :-).
True that...its a solid motor. High output, great gas mileage.
Old 02-01-12, 09:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
A6 will have better acceleration and braking but will lag in handling and steering. It will also need AWD.
F-Sports will actually have better brakes... same handling numbers, and considerably worse acceleration.
But you will also be able to say: but it has better feel! finally :-). It is FWD based so it will never feel as good as RWD cars here, which is what tests say too.
Old 02-01-12, 09:34 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
F-Sports will actually have better brakes... same handling numbers, and considerably worse acceleration.
But you will also be able to say: but it has better feel! finally :-). It is FWD based so it will never feel as good as RWD cars here, which is what tests say too.
Yes, A6 doesn't have as good weight distribution either.
Old 02-01-12, 12:49 PM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Nope, the new GS stops in 106ft where the Audi A6 needs 108... close but still a win for the GS350

So "the Audi will lag in price, interior, handling, steering and braking"... gotta love the power though..Lets see what Lexus does next year with that...
Old 02-01-12, 07:50 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The challenge will be sustaining this advantage.

The 535i is a detuned engine running an ultra conservative 8psi of boost. The 35is engines turn out about 350hp and 370lbft. If I was BMW, given how strong the Lexus and the Audi A6 are performing, I think they should just make the 35is setup standard on all the N55 engines.

Also its a shame they didn't throw the A6 into the mix here. I think the A6 is more likely to be cross-shopped with the GS since they are both the value brands in this segment. The GS is a much nicer car, but I suspect the A6 would beat these numbers.
But tuning the N55 engine to the 35is spec defeats the purpose of the 535i as a family sedan since the low fuel consumption of the N55 in 535i tune will be gone. Currently the N55 has a slight edge over the Lexus 3GRFSE in terms of fuel consumption but only when tuned to 300hp. I doubt it will still hold that advantage when tuned to 350hp.
Old 02-01-12, 08:08 PM
LexFather

I much prefer the N/A engine to the single turbo in the 535. I really didn't like it much at the roadcourse but I'm sure for driving around town its fine. To me there simply is lag and no getting around it.

Its also hilarious the GS is now possibly the sportiest of the class and one of the lightest where the 5 is so much larger and heavier and there is no getting around the mass of the car. It feels and drives like a 7 series whereas past 5 models drove smaller like a 3 series.

The thing is when you break it all down pretty much this entire class has no real bad cars and its all up to personal preferences, no matter if you just want a badge or you really want the sportiest car in this class.
Old 02-01-12, 08:31 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The sportiest car in this class is either the 550i or the S6. No V6 can be the sportiest car in this class.

I can't wait till they put the 5.0 in the GS. That will be interesting.

But you are right. All these 6 cyl models are very good too. The likes of Volvo, Acura and Infiniti are ****ed.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-01-12 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-02-12, 12:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I much prefer the N/A engine to the single turbo in the 535. I really didn't like it much at the roadcourse but I'm sure for driving around town its fine. To me there simply is lag and no getting around it.

Its also hilarious the GS is now possibly the sportiest of the class and one of the lightest where the 5 is so much larger and heavier and there is no getting around the mass of the car. It feels and drives like a 7 series whereas past 5 models drove smaller like a 3 series.

The thing is when you break it all down pretty much this entire class has no real bad cars and its all up to personal preferences, no matter if you just want a badge or you really want the sportiest car in this class.
Lagtastic is right. The 535 did suffer a lot of lag initially but started to pull nicely when you were in the midrange. Of the 3 cars this is how I rank them:

GS F Sport - Direct, athletic, best driving GS to date.
535i - Predictable, easy to control, low end lag, not as crisp and substantial like the E60.
E Class - Direct, heavy, somewhat floaty.
Old 02-02-12, 11:27 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
GS 350 F-Sport: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 14.0 @ 100.9 mph

535i Sport: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 14.1 @ 98.7 mph

E350 Sport: 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.0 @95.4 mph

Nice job, Lexus
I think you missed the last video which measured braking distances. Let me fill in the figures :

GS 350 F-Sport: 60-0 in 106 ft

535i Sport : 60-0 in 114 ft

E350 Sport : 60-0 in 121ft

Note that this was measured by automobile magazine using their own equipment, their own chosen racetrack and they repeated measurements for each car to get a average reading and they even admiited that Lexus didn't interfere with any of the testing or alter the test results.

Looks like a pretty comprehensive win for the GS over the 5 series in ALL dynamic aspects. Also, the E-class really needs to up its game, it came in last in everything!

I just hope the mainstream automobile websites and media play fair and fully acknowledge these OBJECTIVE facts instead of spouting BS like : "the GS has improved its handling but still can't quite match the Germans." without backing these assertions with facts and figures.
Old 02-03-12, 12:26 PM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I just hope the mainstream automobile websites and media play fair and fully acknowledge these OBJECTIVE facts "

Good luck with that............ You already see some reviewers.. who obviously drive a desk verses the actual cars, state the " the 4gs will not be able to keep up with the 535 in a straight line because of the superior toque of the turbo engine". I guess they forgot all about weight... and haven't been keeping up with the tests that show the 4gs is a tenth and 2 mph faster in the quarter mile...
Old 02-11-12, 04:34 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Default GS350 vs 535i vs E350 : Motortrend's Nice One-sheet Summary

Found this from MBWorld.org forums. A poster there scanned this one-sheet comparo of the GS350 F-sport vs 535i Sport vs E350 Sport from MT's March issue.

All the key technical and performance data of the 3 competing models at a glance.

Last edited by natnut; 02-11-12 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-11-12, 05:57 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

Found this from MBWorld.org forums. A poster there scanned this one-sheet comparo of the GS350 F-sport vs 535i Sport vs E350 Sport from MT's March issue.

All the key technical and performance data of the 3 competing models at a glance.
You do know that is a Lexus advertisement don't you? It is also in "Automobile" Magazine.
Old 02-11-12, 09:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
You do know that is a Lexus advertisement don't you? It is also in "Automobile" Magazine.
what do you mean by that? They faked the numbers?

Quick Reply: Automobile & Motor Trend Mag: Lexus GS Challenge - Las Vegas Motor Speedway