GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official: 2013 Lexus GS Specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 05:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Fog lamps are not supposed to enhance the illumination of your car going forward, its a wide pattern where it counts most.
Maybe I shouldn't have said "forward illumination", by that I meant everything I can see with my eyes, including the sides and bottom

I'm a little lost. There's no F Sport package for the 3rd Gen GS. Are you talking about the F-Sport Accessory suspension packages for the 2nd Gen IS and 3rd Gen GS?
Yes. That's why I said F-Sport suspension and not IS/GS F-Sport.

I will agree a full F-Sport Accessory suspension IS350 F Sport will outhandle a stock IS F. Stock IS F's suspension is pretty harsh. I can make that claim because I do have an IS F and have driven several IS F Sport cars with full accessories in different trim 250 MT, 350AT, 350C.
Yes.

4th Generation GS is NOT a carryover. I'll elaborate more later.
What I meant by carryover is the concept of the F-Sport suspension is way firmer then the regular suspension, including a real F model.

An auto crosser is not concerned about fuel economy and comfort. The mainstream GS owner is not concerned about getting the fastest times on a coned course. That theory is a bit off.
I agreed. I was only saying more rubber = more grip, nothing else. Lexus simply traded a hair of grip that few people would notice for higher fuel economy that most people care. Make sense.
Old 11-21-11, 05:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
2IS F-Sport handles better than IS-F? How does that work?
Is hard to define handling, but the F-Sport Accessory suspension is wayyy firmer then the stock IS-F suspension, making them much more nimble and agile.

The F-Sport Accessory suspension is like a tuner thing, not for the general public. It is really firm, not everyone can handle it. The stock IS-F is made for the general public
Old 11-21-11, 05:48 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Is hard to define handling, but the F-Sport Accessory suspension is wayyy firmer then the stock IS-F suspension, making them much more nimble and agile.

The F-Sport Accessory suspension is like a tuner thing, not for the general public. It is really firm, not everyone can handle it. The stock IS-F is made for the general public
I think what you mean by the F Sport accessory suspension is that it is tuned better than the stock IS F suspension. A harsh suspension doesn't mean agile and nimble.

The F Sport Accessory suspension is quite the opposite, its way softer than a stock IS F's suspension but its tuned for better handling thanks to spring rates that match the shock dampening of the Bilstein made shocks. I can tolerate the F Sport accessory suspension a lot more than the stock IS F suspension in daily driving duties.
Old 11-21-11, 05:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I think what you mean by the F Sport accessory suspension is that it is tuned better than the stock IS F suspension. A harsh suspension doesn't mean agile and nimble.

The F Sport Accessory suspension is quite the opposite, its way softer than a stock IS F's suspension but its tuned for better handling thanks to spring rates that match the shock dampening of the Bilstein made shocks. I can tolerate the F Sport accessory suspension a lot more than the stock IS F suspension in daily driving duties.
Yes that's what I meant.

It must be the shock, Bilstein shocks always rides great.

I don't even know, who makes the stock shock on the IS-F? I am guessing KYB?
Old 11-21-11, 06:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

depends on where you "apply" the cars. on a big high speed track, i am pretty sure the isf will still on top of the is fsport. but on a short autox kind of setup, i would surely take the is fsport over the isf. i learned about this first hand. the isf is so heavy and hard to drive around the autox. but the is fsport (and this was just fsport accessories, not even the factory fsport) feels so much more nimble and easy to toss around.

i have driven the is fsport once only. for sure it's much softer than 08 isf, which has some darn harsh suspension. but with all the suspension updates lexus has done over the years on isf, i wonder how a 2012 isf compares

regardless, i think all these point to how lexus is very focused on the driving dynamics of their cars, they are vastly improving to say the least. that's why the 4gs fsport reportedly drives so much better and feel better than the isf.
Old 11-21-11, 06:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yes that's what I meant.

It must be the shock, Bilstein shocks always rides great.

I don't even know, who makes the stock shock on the IS-F? I am guessing KYB?
Its more than just the shock, its a combination of the eibach springs and bilstein shocks.

OE supplier for the IS F and the rest of the IS line is Tokico.
Old 11-21-11, 06:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Its more than just the shock, its a combination of the eibach springs and bilstein shocks.

OE supplier for the IS F and the rest of the IS line is Tokico.
Thank you.

Japanese shocks always ride harsh
Old 11-22-11, 08:14 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@romini, flipside909 and MPLexus301

Hmm.......I don't know if you guys know this yet but it appears that JDM models of the GS350 F-sport get BOTH Front Foglamps as well as LED Headlamps.

They definitely look to be appearing in the Japan-market local models. Still, we're not sure if this arrangement will make it overseas or if there will be, then we're not sure how it will be implemented.

The good thing though is that it is possible (and that we don't need to resort to installing third party fog lamps or whatnot........which I think may void warranty)
Old 11-22-11, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Hmm.......I don't know if you guys know this yet but it appears that JDM models of the GS350 F-sport get BOTH Front Foglamps as well as LED Headlamps.

They definitely look to be appearing in the Japan-market local models. Still, we're not sure if this arrangement will make it overseas or if there will be, then we're not sure how it will be implemented.

The good thing though is that it is possible (and that we don't need to resort to installing third party fog lamps or whatnot........which I think may void warranty)
yeah i know. it's not the first time jdm cars get better treatment (and other brands too). ls600hl dash in japan looks fantastic. hid fogs in japan has been running for a long time. since we can never get jdm spec here in the US, i would only care what we can get here
Old 11-22-11, 09:33 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Thank you.

Japanese shocks always ride harsh
I'm also quite sure the OEM Shock Supplier for the 2013 GS-F Sport will be Tokico as well...

As reminder the OEM F-Sport Package (parts & suppliers) have NOTHING to do with the F-Sport Accessory USA (parts & suppliers).

A decent set of aftermarket coilovers will more than likely out perform all versions of the IS, IS-F, OEM F-Sport Pkg and F-Sport Accessory Suspension parts....

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-22-11 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added "Shock"
Old 11-22-11, 10:09 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I was given many different reasons behind where there are no fogs. The most popular reason I heard including Chief Engineer's reason most was...the M5 doesn't have it. I openly said...well this is not an M5 and there's no GS F yet. Also they said that the headlamp output from the stock HID's are so good nowadays that it negates the need for fogs. For arguments sake, the LFA doesn't have fogs. I prefer to have fogs because 1) it does get foggy here in CA and it does help to have them 2) you are more visible to oncoming traffic in inclement weather scenarios.

I think at the end of the day, we all know what it comes down to, cost savings.
Repost?? LOL

Not many people liked that reason, when I mentioned it last month...

Hopefully, they fix the USA packaging by the February release..

~ Joe Z
Old 11-22-11, 10:28 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Repost?? LOL

Not many people liked that reason, when I mentioned it last month...

Hopefully, they fix the USA packaging by the February release..

~ Joe Z
Joe you and I know both why they took the fogs out. It's common business sense, not rocket science.

I don't like the look of the GS F-Sport without the fogs which is why I mentioned it.
Old 11-22-11, 10:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Blackraven

I addressed that here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6835799-post23.html

I was given many different reasons behind where there are no fogs. The most popular reason I heard including Chief Engineer's reason most was...the M5 doesn't have it. I openly said...well this is not an M5 and there's no GS F yet. Also they said that the headlamp output from the stock HID's are so good nowadays that it negates the need for fogs. For arguments sake, the LFA doesn't have fogs. I prefer to have fogs because 1) it does get foggy here in CA and it does help to have them 2) you are more visible to oncoming traffic in inclement weather scenarios. I think at the end of the day, we all know what it comes down to, cost savings.

Yes I have seen pics on the CE's iPad over dinner the other week of a long lead they did for the Japanese press. Their F-Sport cars had fogs...and I was quick to point it out to Kanamori-san. Since these are pre-production cars...we'll have to wait and see if they make a change for the production cars here in the US. My fingers are crossed they have them.
For the record, I did sit in an RHD (I think Australia spec) GS 250 F SPORT 2 weeks ago. It had NO fogs. Here are a few pics to prove it...

I'll post more soon.
Old 11-22-11, 11:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Joe you and I know both why they took the fogs out. It's common business sense, not rocket science.

I don't like the look of the GS F-Sport without the fogs which is why I mentioned it.
it's not rocket science to some, but it's hard for some to take in too

fact is, truths hurt sometimes, so many times i predicted / explained the reasons but some people just didn't want to admit / hear it.
Old 11-22-11, 11:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
fact is, truths hurt sometimes, so many times i predicted / explained the reasons but some people just didn't want to admit / hear it.
That's why people hate me, because I point out the cold harsh facts too much

Most people expect a Veyron Super Grand Sport Pur Sang Record Holder Edition for the price of a Nano Tata, when they realize reality don't allow that, they hate it

Quick Reply: Official: 2013 Lexus GS Specs