GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

"Lexus’ GIANT New NAV Screen" 2013 GS - Story via Lexus Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 08:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb "Lexus’ GIANT New NAV Screen" 2013 GS - Story via Lexus Magazine

• Lexus builds the luxury auto world’s biggest multi-display screen and even goes high-def.

By Clark Heideger

It’s over a foot wide and nobody has ever made one this big for a premium car before.

We're talking about Lexus’ new 12.3-inch high-resolution multimedia display, which becomes available with the optional navigation system in the 2013 GS. To give you an idea of the screen’s size, picture an iPad 2 held horizontally, and then lengthen the iPad about three inches.

Functionally speaking, though, the screen’s industry first-breadth serves a purpose several of them, actually.

For starters, it allows for a higher resolution. Lexus’ best yet, which makes the screen’s content extremely sharp. It also allowed Lexus to introduce high-definition graphics that are much more advanced than what you’re used to seeing on a typical navigation display.

“The large 8-inch-wide screen that we introduced on the CT was as close to high definition as we could get,” says Charles Hubbard, senior dealer education administrator at Lexus College. “But this one goes even further,”

Additionally, the GS screen is wide enough to redefine how a driver interacts with multi-display functions, which is to say, it allows for more info to be shown at one time via a split-screen format.

In other words, picture your navigation screen on one side, taking up about eight inches as it normally does on a Lexus display screen, with other multi-display functionality on the other side, such as climate control and audio. With this setup, the driver and front passenger have a better, quicker view of more screen-operated functions.

Here’s another benefit: Many drivers would agree that it’s an axiom of life that the moment they most need the navigation will be the exact same moment the front passenger wants to access a different playlist on the iPod® or enter a different band on Pandora®. Now two screen views can co-exist in harmony, and for that matter, so can the driver and passenger.

If you’re a veteran Lexus GS owner, one of the first things you’ll notice when you test-drive the 2013 model (it arrives in February) is that the navigation screen has been relocated; it’s now positioned higher on the dash, making it easier to view.

The wider screen, of course, works in conjunction with the vehicle’s standard next-generation Remote Touch system, Lexus’ computer-mouse-style control device situated in the center console. The new version, among its other upgrades, allows the driver to control more functions, like climate, control, audio, and the optional navigation, without having to tap menu items in the display screen.

The higher screen positioning also looks good: the location is optimized for the driver, with an asymmetrical elegance that seems, at least to me, inspired by modern aviation design. Contributing to the aviation vibe are such additional touches as machined aluminum audio dials.

And realize this: For all that this new wide-screen provides, including the ability to simultaneously view navigation and adjust controls, you may just want it for the thrill it provides every morning when you get in and start the car.

“When you press the info button and fire this thing up, it just lights up across the dash. The wow-factor is huge,” says Hubbard.
“To me, a big thing about it is aesthetics; this is just a neat, neat looking screen.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Enjoy the good read..!!

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-03-11 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

good article, this is definitely a big wow on the 4gs. i am glad it touches the key about why the screen location. split screen is great as usual
Old 11-03-11, 03:21 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this is definitely the coolest display screen in a car. i still dont like the thomas guide looking navigation. i like the navigation in infinitis.
Old 11-03-11, 04:50 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I like it, nice/big and clear!..but forever missing you touch screen
Old 11-03-11, 06:01 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see them promoting this worlds first. I find it blends well with the car and isn't too big at all. Great work Lexus
Old 11-05-11, 12:39 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the opening animation/cinematics for the opening screen (like what is seen in the pic below):

And damn, the opening sequence is just TOO EPIC.

This is better than any Lexus that uses the current or previous display generation technology.

Old 11-05-11, 01:03 PM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
this is definitely the coolest display screen in a car. i still dont like the thomas guide looking navigation. i like the navigation in infinitis.
I concur regarding the Inifiniti's navigation especially with the bird's eye view it just looks so much better and they've had it for a few years so i dont understand whats holding Lexus back in implementing a much nicer system
Old 11-05-11, 03:34 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Great job Lexus on another world's first. That's another to add to their list of world's first...
Old 11-05-11, 03:44 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOOKS GREATS, but I'm not a fan of the analog clock in the middle. Reminds me too much of Infiniti.
Old 11-05-11, 04:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

will this gen of nav have 3D rendering? if it doesnt, then it is still a step behind.
Old 11-05-11, 06:20 PM
lofidelity
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by energie8
I like it, nice/big and clear!..but forever missing you touch screen
I'm wondering why they replaced the touchscreen too. I would love a retina style touchscreen on the GS. Is there an ergonomic benefit to this, or are they just copying the other brands?
Old 11-05-11, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lofidelity
I'm wondering why they replaced the touchscreen too. I would love a retina style touchscreen on the GS. Is there an ergonomic benefit to this, or are they just copying the other brands?
the article stated the reasons pretty clearly already, this allows the screen to be put high, you can't do that with touch screen. not to mention this reduce the finger prints and also the sun glare
Old 11-06-11, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I simply love the interior of the new GS, I can't wait to check one out in person when they finally arrive at dealers. The new over-sized screen is well done. The only thing I don't like is the old style clock in the middle of the dash, but that is so minor.
Old 11-06-11, 01:20 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I simply love the interior of the new GS, I can't wait to check one out in person when they finally arrive at dealers. The new over-sized screen is well done. The only thing I don't like is the old style clock in the middle of the dash, but that is so minor.
The clock is awesome!

Old 11-06-11, 05:40 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

It's great and all but I'd rather have a 8-speed tranny. I usually turn the screen off when i drive anyway.

Quick Reply: "Lexus’ GIANT New NAV Screen" 2013 GS - Story via Lexus Magazine