"Lexus’ GIANT New NAV Screen" 2013 GS - Story via Lexus Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I simply love the interior of the new GS, I can't wait to check one out in person when they finally arrive at dealers. The new over-sized screen is well done. The only thing I don't like is the old style clock in the middle of the dash, but that is so minor.
i never liked the clock in any of the infiniti. i am still trying to warm up to the clock in my s class. the one in 4gs, still not a fan, but at least it looks more modern imho

Originally Posted by STIG
It's great and all but I'd rather have a 8-speed tranny. I usually turn the screen off when i drive anyway.
that's a foul!
Old 11-07-11, 12:18 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
It's great and all but I'd rather have a 8-speed tranny. I usually turn the screen off when i drive anyway.
If you spend time in a 2010+ redesigned Lexus like I do you will understand why this is so important to have. With the remote touch, your radio preset buttons are no longer on the dash, and need to be accessed through the audio screen of the nav. It is so annoying to have to use the remote touch and change screens just to change radio stations. With this new screen, it really solves the short comings of Lexus nav.
Old 11-07-11, 05:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
With the remote touch, your radio preset buttons are no longer on the dash, and need to be accessed through the audio screen of the nav.
Hmm......now that you mentioned it:

You're right, there are no buttons for 1-6 (usual button for presets/saved radio station).

So yeah, with this new setup, well yeah, it looks like first timers need to practice and familiarize themselves first with the new system/layout (i.e. for changing radio stations).

Anyways, the 4GS "MIGHT BE" the first Lexus in the Philippines that "MIGHT BE" equipped with Remote Touch (if GPS navigation will be offered by Lexus Manila). I'll definitely try the system out to see and experience for myself once they bring the car in by next year (2012).

I'm also wondering if our units will be getting this massive 12 INCH Screen..............or if we get something dumbed down (cause it might be likely GPS Navigation "may not be" available for the Philippine market).

Probably something like just an 8 inch screen instead (like spwolf said months ago)
Old 11-07-11, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Blackraven

You're right, there are no buttons for 1-6 (usual button for presets/saved radio station).

So yeah, with this new setup, well yeah, it looks like first timers need to practice and familiarize themselves first with the new system/layout (i.e. for changing radio stations).

Anyways, the 4GS "MIGHT BE" the first Lexus in the Philippines that "MIGHT BE" equipped with Remote Touch (if GPS navigation will be offered by Lexus Manila). I'll definitely try the system out to see and experience for myself once they bring the car in by next year (2012).

I'm also wondering if our units will be getting this massive 12 INCH Screen..............or if we get something dumbed down (cause it might be likely GPS Navigation "may not be" available for the Philippine market).

Probably something like just an 8 inch screen instead (like spwolf said months ago)
make sure you "practice" with your mouse before using the remote touch, then you are golden
Old 11-07-11, 09:41 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the car on display at the Miami car show last week (about Oct 30 2011). The screen is really sharp looking in person, and the outside of the car has a lot more stylistic character than the photos show. It has a touch of the traditional Lexus look, but it has a slight edge to it that gives it a much more appealing exterior - hard to explain. The newly styled tail lights look really nice - not 'gimmicky' like the competition. The car definitely looks very, very nice in person on the exterior and the interior - it made the 350 on display next to it look very outdated. It is an impressive automobile.
Old 11-07-11, 12:45 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

audio track controls on the steering wheel will navigate through the presets of whatever audio source you're on. Mode button cycles audio sources. Not quite as easy as a preset on the touchscreen, but it works pretty well on the current model. I'd expect the 4GS to allow similar navigation of presets.
Old 11-07-11, 02:18 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

The screen is great but the nav looks archaic. It's basically the same nav system as the 2000 LS. Time to catch up to this decade Lexus.
Old 11-07-11, 02:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ydooby
The screen is great but the nav looks archaic. It's basically the same nav system as the 2000 LS. Time to catch up to this decade Lexus.
2000 ls? you really need to look more closely, that sounds like a little shot at lexus. 2000 ls was gen3 nav? that thing looks like crap compared to gen5 (07-09), let alone this (gen7?)

i guess they all have pros and cons. mb and bmw nav they have cooler 3d look, lexus doesn't even have it. but when looking at plane mode, lexus has better scale / resolution and also more refined in the graphics
Old 11-07-11, 03:01 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
2000 ls? you really need to look more closely, that sounds like a little shot at lexus. 2000 ls was gen3 nav? that thing looks like crap compared to gen5 (07-09), let alone this (gen7?)

i guess they all have pros and cons. mb and bmw nav they have cooler 3d look, lexus doesn't even have it. but when looking at plane mode, lexus has better scale / resolution and also more refined in the graphics
Hmm yeah I'm more talking about the general look-and-feel of the 2000 LS nav than about the finer details like screen resolution and icon placements. As it is it just looks too plain to me compared to what the competitions have, although I agree that from a purely functional point of view the plainest may still be the best.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-07-11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 08:44 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The only thing I don't like is the old style clock in the middle of the dash, but that is so minor.
I have to agree with you as well. On one hand the clock is classy, modern look, has the coolness factor and is different than what Lexus has done with the digital clocks.

On the other hand the clock does take up more room, could get old real fast, and it appears Lexus is trying to one up Infiniti that always used analog clocks in their cars.

I like how Lexus is trying different approaches and if done right it can be a big hit to consumers and enthusiasts alike.
Old 11-08-11, 08:54 AM
legends92
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I saw the car on display at the Miami car show last week (about Oct 30 2011). The screen is really sharp looking in person, and the outside of the car has a lot more stylistic character than the photos show. It has a touch of the traditional Lexus look, but it has a slight edge to it that gives it a much more appealing exterior - hard to explain. The newly styled tail lights look really nice - not 'gimmicky' like the competition. The car definitely looks very, very nice in person on the exterior and the interior - it made the 350 on display next to it look very outdated. It is an impressive automobile.
Are the lights for the breaks (not the one on the window) and turn signals all LED in the back or a combination of LED and halogen.
Old 11-08-11, 10:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
make sure you "practice" with your mouse before using the remote touch, then you are golden
Haha

Anyways, we'll see. If our 4GS gets "Remote Touch", I'll make sure to 'study' and 'familiarize' myself during the test drive...........most especially when operating the radio audio system while I'm driving.

We'll see how it goes

P.S.
Originally Posted by twylie
audio track controls on the steering wheel will navigate through the presets of whatever audio source you're on. Mode button cycles audio sources. Not quite as easy as a preset on the touchscreen, but it works pretty well on the current model. I'd expect the 4GS to allow similar navigation of presets.
Hehe if that's the case, well........I think I maybe cool with that.

However, I'm not so sure if the old-school peeps can adapt to such a new layout and whatnot. For instance, I'm not sure if my papa (he's reaching 60 years old) can learn this........so I'm guessing he can only change radio stations when at a complete stop.

A worse case would be my family driver named Jun-jun (who is also approaching 60 years soon). I couldn't imagine someone like him learning like this. Heck, I expect that HE WON'T LEARN IT AT ALL lol. He hasn't even used a computer at all (ey can you expect a poor guy who lives in the poor shanties to even afford something like a computer :P)

LOL you know I can imagine if he sits in the driver's seat of the 4GS. He'll ask me: "Where is the 'suk-sok' thing where you insert the key? There is no keyhole. Oh no, we can't start the car."

It's gonna be a challenge to teach old-school peeps some new tricks

P.S.
I will admit though:
I'm 22 years old.........and yet I do not know how to use the Toyota-style cruise control

I tried to activate it on the IS300 I test drove a few months back but sometimes we were not sure if it was on or if the car was driving by itself or whatever. The salesman guy didn't even know either hehe (but yeah, cruise control is mainly a new thing for many Filipino drivers........cause less than 10% of cars in this country have it and/or it's so traffic in Phils. that cruise control = useless :P)
Old 11-13-11, 09:32 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the screen resolution?
Old 12-26-11, 06:58 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

If the car came looking like the five axis model I'd trade mine in in a heart beat. however this navi is full of win
Old 12-26-11, 09:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Haha

Anyways, we'll see. If our 4GS gets "Remote Touch", I'll make sure to 'study' and 'familiarize' myself during the test drive...........most especially when operating the radio audio system while I'm driving.

We'll see how it goes

P.S.

Hehe if that's the case, well........I think I maybe cool with that.

However, I'm not so sure if the old-school peeps can adapt to such a new layout and whatnot. For instance, I'm not sure if my papa (he's reaching 60 years old) can learn this........so I'm guessing he can only change radio stations when at a complete stop.

A worse case would be my family driver named Jun-jun (who is also approaching 60 years soon). I couldn't imagine someone like him learning like this. Heck, I expect that HE WON'T LEARN IT AT ALL lol. He hasn't even used a computer at all (ey can you expect a poor guy who lives in the poor shanties to even afford something like a computer :P)

LOL you know I can imagine if he sits in the driver's seat of the 4GS. He'll ask me: "Where is the 'suk-sok' thing where you insert the key? There is no keyhole. Oh no, we can't start the car."

It's gonna be a challenge to teach old-school peeps some new tricks

P.S.
I will admit though:
I'm 22 years old.........and yet I do not know how to use the Toyota-style cruise control

I tried to activate it on the IS300 I test drove a few months back but sometimes we were not sure if it was on or if the car was driving by itself or whatever. The salesman guy didn't even know either hehe (but yeah, cruise control is mainly a new thing for many Filipino drivers........cause less than 10% of cars in this country have it and/or it's so traffic in Phils. that cruise control = useless :P)
my dad doesnt really change the stations :-).

But if you look closely, there are left and right buttons on the radio... i bet if you hold them for longer than a sec, they will change to next preset.

Quick Reply: "Lexus’ GIANT New NAV Screen" 2013 GS - Story via Lexus Magazine