GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 10:37 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I dont see how they can make a hybrid F car. Doesnt really make sense but I am up to hear what they have in store. A hybrid F car would already have a larger heavier engine than the normal models, and on top of that, you need 150-200 pounds of batteries. And since some of you are suggesting that since BMW is going with turbos, then Lexus should use hybrid power, I doubt you can get the same results. On Lexus hybrids currently, the electric power adds about 40 horsepower. A turbo(s) would do more, and doesnt have to deal with the extra weight.
Old 08-25-11, 10:39 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
An HS-F is not needed.

In fact
I may sound harsh on this but Lexus should just kill the HS. It's not doing any good for the brand.
agreed 100%
Old 08-25-11, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

An HS-F is not needed.

In fact
I may sound harsh on this but Lexus should just kill the HS. It's not doing any good for the brand.
the HS is pretty much a tarted up corolla hybrid. i don't see a need to kill it - just redesign it. the ct is a wagon, the hs is a sedan. both can exist.
Old 08-25-11, 10:43 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

An HS-F is not needed.

In fact
Originally Posted by adamls2
agreed 100%
I am with you guys, I love the old world where the ES is the lowest model and V6 is the smallest engine.

CT and HS just cheapen the brand like what A/B class/1-series/A1/A2 does to MB/BMW/Audi.
Old 08-25-11, 10:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont see how they can make a hybrid F car. ... A turbo(s) would do more, and doesnt have to deal with the extra weight.
a turbo plus plumbing isn't zero weight either, but yes, not as heavy as motors and batteries, but li-ion is lighter to nimh at least.

also, maybe a hybrid f car would do some other weight reduction - like using smaller side mirrors for example. but seriously, maybe removing rear seat controls, maybe even no moonroof to save weight, etc. do that and a hybrid F could be REALLY quick, and the batteries can actually help in weight distribution.
Old 08-25-11, 10:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the HS is pretty much a tarted up corolla hybrid. i don't see a need to kill it - just redesign it. the ct is a wagon, the hs is a sedan. both can exist.
The CT is a tarted up Prius, HS is a tarted up Camry hybrid, they both can die as far as I am concern.
Old 08-25-11, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
We just didn't agreed on a few personal preferences issue and you didn't like me pointing out anything negatives regarding Lexus. I am learning now, I only point out positives Nobody likes hearing negatives.
That is not accurate at all. I point out negatives for Lexus all the time. Negatives are pointed out all the time. Blanket statements and really inaccurate posts passed on as facts cause issues.

The new GS should have a V-8, period. See that is a negative post against Lexus I made. Saying "Lexus V-8s all suck and are behind the curve" on the other hand is a ridiculous statement (and not saying you said that).

An HS-F is not needed.

In fact
Acura sells Accord rebadges that get a pass with far less technology. Benz is debuting a B class here, Audi an A1, etc etc.

HS was a huge flop, it just needs work done starting with its looks. And it needs the new 2.5 I-4 instead of the 2.4 so it gets 40 MPG

Old 08-25-11, 11:39 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That is not accurate at all. I point out negatives for Lexus all the time. Negatives are pointed out all the time. Blanket statements and really inaccurate posts passed on as facts cause issues.

The new GS should have a V-8, period. See that is a negative post against Lexus I made. Saying "Lexus V-8s all suck and are behind the curve" on the other hand is a ridiculous statement (and not saying you said that).
I know what you mean, let's just say I am not posting anything nobody wants to hear anymore
Old 08-25-11, 11:57 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

unrestricting it to 465hp might just be enough for Lexus's goal for the car.
I think this hits it on the head. Lexus has plenty of wiggle room from the 416 mark for the ISF and the 552 for the LFA. Based on what Lexus has done in the last 10 years with regards to adding power to the production lineup, something along the lines of 425 to 450hp is more realistic in my opinion. Believing that we are going to get a 500+ anything from Lexus for the masses is just setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Would I love to be proven wrong, yes, in a heartbeat. Just don't seem them coming close to LFA territory in terms of performance with that $300k gap sitting there waiting to be filled.
Old 08-25-11, 12:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

And since some of you are suggesting that since BMW is going with turbos, then Lexus should use hybrid power, I doubt you can get the same results.
We are not suggesting that Lexus should use hybrid power, we are just saying that is the direction Lexus choose to go with. Currently there are only 2 ways to add power without negatively effecting MPG or emissions. Turbo or hybrid, MB/BMW/Audi choose boost..........I think just because it is easier, turbo technology is 40 years old. Hybrid drive is much more complicated, but Toyota is the leader on that technology, so naturally they want to use hybrid power.

On Lexus hybrids currently, the electric power adds about 40 horsepower. A turbo(s) would do more, and doesnt have to deal with the extra weight.
Sure turbo can do more, how much power turbo adds is directly depends on how much boost it is putting out, it can add 20 hp to 2000 hp. But the higher the boost, the lower the MPG and shorter the engine life. Weight wise, all required turbo hardwares are not lightweight at all, bigger exhaust manifold, the turbo itself, intercooler(s), intercooler plumbings, thicker engine block and heavier pistons to withstand the added pressure.......etc. Then there is heat management, turbo generate A LOT of heat, so it needs bigger radiator, extra or bigger oil cooler, oil cooling jet inside the engine block to cool the pistons. Turbocharging a car typically add between 100~200 lbs to a car. An easy way to see this is compare the weight of the same car that come in both NA and turbocharged form, Mazda3 vs. Mazdaspeed3 for example. Or MB NA E550 vs. twin turbo 2012 AMG E63. E90 330i vs. E90 335i.
Old 08-25-11, 01:25 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't remind me of the hs resemblance to corolla, someone I know actually bought one and it kills me every time I think of it.

The CT is a tarted up Prius, HS is a tarted up Camry hybrid, they both can die as far as I am concern.
Old 08-25-11, 01:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikemareen
Please don't remind me of the hs resemblance to corolla, someone I know actually bought one and it kills me every time I think of it.
The HS is actually based on the Toyota Avensis that is sold in other parts of the world. The Avensis is position between the Corolla and the Camry. Does that make you feel better?

Actually now a days I don't see anything that I don't want to see, selective seeing.......I don't see any HS or CT I encounter on the street. Try that, it is really nice Is like how your mind just ignored seeing the ugly girl you come across

Old 08-25-11, 03:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

The HS is actually based on the Toyota Avensis that is sold in other parts of the world. The Avensis is position between the Corolla and the Camry. Does that make you feel better?

Actually now a days I don't see anything that I don't want to see, selective seeing.......I don't see any HS or CT I encounter on the street. Try that, it is really nice Is like how your mind just ignored seeing the ugly girl you come across

Avesis is like TSX - it is smaller but more expensive than Camry/Accord.
Old 08-25-11, 03:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

It is a form of power without any negative effects on MPG and emissions.

I never want it to come, I love gas guzzler But I think all companies are trying to implement it now, when you see Porsche and Ferrari is doing it, it is here, they are always the slowest on putting lame stuff on their cars. Lexus was the 1st with the performance hybrid..........450h and 600h, very successful I would add.

My personal feeling is the upcoming GS-F might not need electric assist to achieve it's target power, I think the current engine in the IS-F is detuned, unrestricting it to 465hp might just be enough for Lexus's goal for the car. But of course if they add electric power to give it a total of 500 hp or more, would be awesome.
it's also a form of power with quite a bit of added weight, at least in current form, likely both front (engine) and rear (battery). that to me is a big reason for yrs to come ahead to really refine on the capacity (need to be able to sustain certain amount of track driving) and weight. current form, i am just not sure. simple as that
Old 08-25-11, 03:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Avesis is like TSX - it is smaller but more expensive than Camry/Accord.
That shows I don't know that car It does have a premium look to it, thanks for educating me

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion