GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 08:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
a gs350 f sport touching 70k, that's going to be a very tough sell
fully loaded? why?

i mean if 535i is $80k with less equipment, how exactly will GS350 F-Sport be 50k with more? I think you guys need to wake up. GS350 will have all the options old GS460 had, and then a lot more.

Unless you want Lexus to limit options to GS450h and then you can say "fully loaded" GS350 is 60k, except it is not really fully loaded with GS450h having more options :-).
Old 08-23-11, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
fully loaded? why?

i mean if 535i is $80k with less equipment, how exactly will GS350 F-Sport be 50k with more? I think you guys need to wake up. GS350 will have all the options old GS460 had, and then a lot more.

Unless you want Lexus to limit options to GS450h and then you can say "fully loaded" GS350 is 60k, except it is not really fully loaded with GS450h having more options :-).
first, 80k msrp on bmw doesn't mean much, you all need to look at real market price and how the car is sold and you will realize that first, hardly any fully loaded 535 out there unless you custom order, 2nd bmw incentives will drive the price low, and 3rd, most bmws are leased.

coming back to lexus, the biggest problem is their lease terms are "horrible" compared to bmw. making the car that expensive imho will be very hard to move the car.
Old 08-23-11, 09:24 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i was young i always wanted a lexus GS, then i finally bought a 99 GS400 and drove it for 3 years until i needed an upgrade and the 3gs drove me away from the GS linup to my current 05 LS430UL. i had been holding out for a 4GS-F for almost 2 years but just by looking at the 4gs in general i think i may have to stay with the LS lineup or move to a MB S class (07+) since the current LS is not doing it for me anymore.

what is wrong with lex¿ they keep changing things that aren't broke just for the sake of being bold and revolutionary,, but that is what is driving me away from them... i can't be alone in this, can i¿¿¿ even the new M is looking better to me everyday. maybe i'll go back to infiniti after 6 years... if they came back out with the Q i would trade my lex in an instant (as long as it looked something like the old Q).

Last edited by sojah; 08-23-11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-23-11, 03:27 PM
daelo74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost all the German automakers new lineups looks sleeker and smaller from their entry level to their full size luxury car, yet this GS looks bloated just like the LS, and IS. Where is Lexus hiring their designers, Art Academy dropouts?
Old 08-23-11, 04:53 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interior looks great......like most Lexus models. The exterior....not so impressive. Looks like they incorporated a lot of the LS460 styling....which is a hideous car. Lexus has really gone down a lot in the last 5-7 years. I thought the 3GS was an awesome car and the rest were duds in the last lineup.....but now they've seemingly ruined this car, too. It just seems like they are aiming at an older demographic.
Old 08-23-11, 05:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Just build a 3GS350 with all options, Almost 67K!
Base MSRP $46,900
Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System Package with Additional Options $4,884
F Sport™ Sway Bar Kit [1][2] $495
Carpet cargo mat $73
F Sport™ Wheel Installation Kit [1][2] $110
Cargo net - envelope $64
F Sport™ Onboard Tire Repair System [1][2] $99
F Sport™ Lowering Spring Set [1][2] $299
F Sport™ Performance Air Intake [1][2][3] $455
F Sport™ 19-in Forged Full-Face Alloy Wheels with Performance Tires [1][2][4] $3,995
F Sport™ Shock Absorber Set [1][2] $740
Paint protection film [5] $429
Rear bumper applique $76
F Sport™ Under Chassis Brace [1][2] $375
F Sport™ Performance Exhaust System [1][2] $1,570
F Sport™ Front-and-Rear Brake Upgrades $4,480
F Sport™ Carbon Fiber Engine Cover [1][2] $865
F Sport™ Shift **** [1][2] $95
Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee $875
Total MSRP $66,879

COLORS•Starfire Pearl •Black Perforated Leather Trim with Red Walnut Accent

PACKAGEPackage B: Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System Package with Additional Options
•HDD Navigation System [6]•Voice command
•Color LCD display
•Integrated backup camera •Enhanced Bluetooth® technology •XM NavTraffic® [6][7]•XM NavWeather™ [6][7]•XM Sports and Stocks [6][7]•Lexus Enform® •Mark Levinson® 14-speaker Premium Surround Sound Audio System [8]•Intuitive Parking Assist
•Heated and ventilated front seats
•Rear spoiler
•Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****
•Power rear sunshade
•Illuminated door-sill scuff plates

ACCESSORIES•F Sport™ Sway Bar Kit [1][2]•Carpet cargo mat
•F Sport™ Wheel Installation Kit [1][2]•Cargo net - envelope
•F Sport™ Onboard Tire Repair System [1][2]•F Sport™ Lowering Spring Set [1][2]•F Sport™ Performance Air Intake [1][2][3]•F Sport™ 19-in Forged Full-Face Alloy Wheels with Performance Tires [1][2][4]•F Sport™ Shock Absorber Set [1][2]•Paint protection film [5]•Rear bumper applique
•F Sport™ Under Chassis Brace [1][2]•F Sport™ Performance Exhaust System [1][2]•F Sport™ Front-and-Rear Brake Upgrades
•F Sport™ Carbon Fiber Engine Cover [1][2]•F Sport™ Shift **** [1][2]
Old 08-23-11, 11:03 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
when i was young i always wanted a lexus GS, then i finally bought a 99 GS400 and drove it for 3 years until i needed an upgrade and the 3gs drove me away from the GS linup to my current 05 LS430UL. i had been holding out for a 4GS-F for almost 2 years but just by looking at the 4gs in general i think i may have to stay with the LS lineup or move to a MB S class (07+) since the current LS is not doing it for me anymore.

what is wrong with lex¿ they keep changing things that aren't broke just for the sake of being bold and revolutionary,, but that is what is driving me away from them... i can't be alone in this, can i¿¿¿ even the new M is looking better to me everyday. maybe i'll go back to infiniti after 6 years... if they came back out with the Q i would trade my lex in an instant (as long as it looked something like the old Q).
I personally wouldn't go to Infiniti after the appalling M45 i have owned for the past two years.. been through countless repairs one of which was a complete motor rebuild on a car that has a little over 25K miles.. No joke and the car was always serviced on time and was babied. Nissans are seriously under-engineered IMHO. Merc's are also very high maintenance and unreliable.. I do feel your pain and that was my initial complaint but what to convert to is the question.. I love Lexus with passion and i want to stay, they just dont seem to want customers like us who seek a competitive automobile.. They're only interested in tree huggers and seniors (no offense to any on here)..

Anyways.. Another prediction that an GS-F is unlikely.....

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11108233...lfa-v10-engine

and i quote "Kanamori revealed the company has no plans for such a model."

Old 08-24-11, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

never thought v10 is a likely option for the gsf anyway. i will be very happy and surprised if that happens
Old 08-24-11, 03:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

first, 80k msrp on bmw doesn't mean much, you all need to look at real market price and how the car is sold and you will realize that first, hardly any fully loaded 535 out there unless you custom order, 2nd bmw incentives will drive the price low, and 3rd, most bmws are leased.

coming back to lexus, the biggest problem is their lease terms are "horrible" compared to bmw. making the car that expensive imho will be very hard to move the car.
i still dont understand why would you expect fully loaded GS F-Sport to be 15k less than 535i, with more equipment.

It is ok to order base F10 but Lexus has to be fully loaded?
Old 08-24-11, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
i still dont understand why would you expect fully loaded GS F-Sport to be 15k less than 535i, with more equipment.

It is ok to order base F10 but Lexus has to be fully loaded?
i didn't say what i expect, i am just saying it's a tough sell. to me it's about mindset inside of people on what lexus is about. i could be wrong for all i care, but i actually talked to a few friends (who some own lexus, btw) about the concept of a 70k gs350 (they all know about the 4gs and details). funny thing is their replies were all "huh? you kidding me?"

i don't know, i might have a special group of friends

oh and believe me, you probably don't want to hear their next sentence
Old 08-24-11, 09:05 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

i didn't say what i expect, i am just saying it's a tough sell. to me it's about mindset inside of people on what lexus is about. i could be wrong for all i care, but i actually talked to a few friends (who some own lexus, btw) about the concept of a 70k gs350 (they all know about the 4gs and details). funny thing is their replies were all "huh? you kidding me?"

"for that kind of money, I'll buy a 5 series."

or

"only an idiot would spend $70k on a 6 cyl Lexus"

Old 08-24-11, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mjr24
Interior looks great......like most Lexus models.
but this interior is NOTHING like any other lexus.

The exterior....not so impressive. Looks like they incorporated a lot of the LS460 styling....which is a hideous car.
wow, i think the ls460 is a beautiful design.

I thought the 3GS was an awesome car and the rest were duds in the last lineup...
#salesdidnotagree

It just seems like they are aiming at an older demographic.
well of course - very few younger people can afford cars like these!
Old 08-24-11, 11:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

things are made so they could be changed.... if you want GS350 that outhandles 535i, has nicer interior and more technology, you can not expect it to be priced as Hyundai.

Or simply get non loaded model. What Toyota did with Camry pricing seemed a lot like what germans do - they made good entry level packages.
Old 08-24-11, 11:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mjr24
Interior looks great......like most Lexus models. The exterior....not so impressive. Looks like they incorporated a lot of the LS460 styling....which is a hideous car. Lexus has really gone down a lot in the last 5-7 years. I thought the 3GS was an awesome car and the rest were duds in the last lineup.....but now they've seemingly ruined this car, too. It just seems like they are aiming at an older demographic.
I agree with the first bolded statement. Which is why ironically, I'm so excited by the 4GS, as it seems to mark a turnaround(for the better) in Lexus' fortunes. IMO, the 4GS is the first exciting mainstream Lexus in years(not counting ISF and LFA) : lovely elegant styling that will age well(IMO), much more useable to a middle-class family in terms of interior space and packaging, yet drives better than any other Lexus that has come before.

I completely disagree with the second bolded statement. If Lexus were aiming the new GS at the older demographic, why would they bother making it the best handling Lexus in the line-up?? From the previews, it completely spanks the 3GS in handling and may well best the F10 5 series.

To be blunt, the 3GS tried to look the part(of being sporty) and ended up looking a bit try-hard and immature but didn't have the suspension to back up its looks. The 4GS OTOH has toned down the immature shoutiness of the 3GS and looks more grown-up but paradoxically NOW has the driving dynamics to challenge the germans. One sentence sums up my impression of the 4GS : " Talk Softly but Carry a Big Stick."

PS : The hand-wringing over the retention of the old engine in the 4GS signifying that Lexus is not serious about driving appeal is misplaced for 2 reasons :
1) BMW M cars and Porsche, the accepted benchmark of sportiness, aren't revered for their horsepower but for their CHASSIS. The classic M3's, in case people have forgotten, were 6 cylinders. The Cayman and Boxter have weak sauce engines but no one in their right mind would say that they aren't sporty because they can flat-out HANDLE.

2) Which is more difficult? Designing a dynamically well balanced car which is useable on real-life bumpy roads or shoe-horning the plethora of V8s which Toyota has lying around in their spare-parts bin into the engine compartment of the 4GS?

I'd say that Lexus did it the right way. They did the hard yards first of designing a great chassis from ground up, the dirty work so to speak. The flashy glamorous stuff like dropping in a million-horsepower engine can be done easily later.

This fact alone : that Lexus concentrated on chassis-development first rather than obsessing about horsepower oneupsmanship demonstrates to me that, for once, they aren't taking the shortcut of just boosting power but are serious about bringing TRUE sportiness back to the mainstream Lexus line-up.
Old 08-24-11, 11:57 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i think i like the looks of the new camry more than the 4gs,, at least from the front and back:

Quick Reply: Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..