GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 Lexus GS350 Hi-Res Photos

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 01:30 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sucka

Is it only me or do you guys see semblances of an older corolla or the 2000 style camry or ES circa 2001 here from this vantage...just fill in the bottom half of the grill and i think it'll be more apparent... not very flattering. It's not as evolutionary as I had hoped it to be...I think once the other car companies refresh their lineups while the 4GS begins it's midlife, it's going to seem very outdated. To me, the grill and the DRL's are just smoke and mirrors for an otherwise uninspired effort. I can't help but think it'll be 'boring' as soon as it hits the road. I'm all for consistent brand design, but my overall first reaction is that it just borrows a little too much not only from their existing and prior models but also from competitors' current designs as well. I don't want to hate it, i've loved the GS model since the 2nd gen and am glad to hear they are enhancing the driving dynamics to an extent. Like someone else remarked, I too wish they kept the quad lights at the front.

Attachment 220239
From some angles the front end reminds me of the 2002-2006 Camry for some reason. For me this car's saving grace is not the grill or LED DRLs but rather the hood.

2013 Lexus GS350 Hi-Res Photos-jqkon.jpg
Old 08-24-11, 01:46 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rear end looks identical to the new up-coming camry...that's not a good thing.

if this GS comes out at same time as the Kia K7 cadenza then it's going to be trouble for lexus. yeah the cadenza is not rear wheel drive but it's going to be 25k less. ouch.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
From some angles the front end reminds me of the 2002-2006 Camry for some reason. For me this car's saving grace is not the grill or LED DRLs but rather the hood.

Old 08-24-11, 02:17 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikemareen
the rear end looks identical to the new up-coming camry...that's not a good thing.

if this GS comes out at same time as the Kia K7 cadenza then it's going to be trouble for lexus. yeah the cadenza is not rear wheel drive but it's going to be 25k less. ouch.
The Cadenza will also probably feel $25k less (maybe even more) when you start poking and prodding.
Old 08-24-11, 03:27 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like comparing to other cars, looks like this, looks like that. Just enjoy the looks of the car, if you don't, just don't.
Old 08-24-11, 04:03 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I checked out the new hyundais and kia's and they are up there in terms of honda and toyota....definitely better than nissan build quality.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The Cadenza will also probably feel $25k less (maybe even more) when you start poking and prodding.
Old 08-24-11, 04:08 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the front is the best part. The side and rear . Should have stuck to something with the 3GS rear.
Old 08-24-11, 04:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen

If you are looking for good and affordable FWD car, yet stylish, look no further than CC.
No Hyundai interior to date, regardless of price, will look that good.

As to the Kia and Hyundai, there is car chat forum for that.
Old 08-24-11, 08:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I like the FRONT.
Agressive & Unique - Lexus showed some ***** finally. I expect the FSport to be even better.

Much better than the FUGLY 3GS front.

I hate the SIDE! Looks too much like the 2IS with those huge and ugly mirrors.
I wish Lexus was more aggressive with the character line and wheel arches.
This car is lowered A LOT. Stock version will have 6-inch wheel gap.

The rear is so BORING.
Lexus failed to carryover the best parts to the production version from the concept car.
BUT the worst part is it looks like a Hyundai Sonata from the back!

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-24-11 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 10:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

My thought with this car (judging from pictures) is that Lexus said "OMFG we changed the shape of the grill...SO RADICAL! Everything else better be pretty predictable because the font end is sooooooooo crazy looking," and this is what we got.

In reality, I do not think most people will even notice that the spindle is wholly different from the trapezoid. The entire shape of the front end of the car is still very similar and classicly "Lexus"...the fangs just replace what were vertical chrome bars for any other Lexus.

I haven't seen the car in person yet, but I'm disappointed that Lexus didn't take more risk. For the car that pioneered the "second generation of L-Finesse", this looks painstakingly similar to the 2IS and 4LS, which were products of the first iteration of Lexus' (then) new design philosophy. Yes, I expected an evolution of the design language, but I struggle to see even that. This looks like a supersize IS with some LS-like proportions. More pronounced body lines and wheel arches, as well as a more expressive rear end would have been a good start. The front of the car is nice looking, but the shapes are similar to any other Japanese sedan in the last ten years: horizontal feline headlights, trapezoid/rectangular upper and lower grilles, fog lights stretched to the corners, etc. I'd like to have seen more distinct looking headlights and perhaps more interesting foglights as well...just something that showed more attitude.

Maybe my thoughts will change once I see the car in person, but that is my opinion for now.
Old 08-25-11, 10:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

^^^ excellent post.
cliff notes: not enough risk taking
Old 08-25-11, 10:32 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

With the new IS, ES, and LS on the way, it will be interesting to see how Lexus will be able to differentiate the front ends since I dont see them changing the headlights drastically and that spindle being the new face of lexus.
Old 08-25-11, 10:41 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My thought with this car (judging from pictures) is that Lexus said "OMFG we changed the shape of the grill...SO RADICAL! Everything else better be pretty predictable because the font end is sooooooooo crazy looking," and this is what we got.

In reality, I do not think most people will even notice that the spindle is wholly different from the trapezoid. The entire shape of the front end of the car is still very similar and classicly "Lexus"...the fangs just replace what were vertical chrome bars for any other Lexus.

I haven't seen the car in person yet, but I'm disappointed that Lexus didn't take more risk. For the car that pioneered the "second generation of L-Finesse", this looks painstakingly similar to the 2IS and 4LS, which were products of the first iteration of Lexus' (then) new design philosophy. Yes, I expected an evolution of the design language, but I struggle to see even that. This looks like a supersize IS with some LS-like proportions. More pronounced body lines and wheel arches, as well as a more expressive rear end would have been a good start. The front of the car is nice looking, but the shapes are similar to any other Japanese sedan in the last ten years: horizontal feline headlights, trapezoid/rectangular upper and lower grilles, fog lights stretched to the corners, etc. I'd like to have seen more distinct looking headlights and perhaps more interesting foglights as well...just something that showed more attitude.

Maybe my thoughts will change once I see the car in person, but that is my opinion for now.
In this segment no one is taking risks. The 5 series looks like an enlarged 3 series from 2006, and the next 3 series too will be an evolution. The A6 maintains the overall shape and look of the previous version and the E-class has a very generic rear end and roof line.

Fact of the matter is most buyers of these cars are older and more conservative in their tastes.
Old 08-25-11, 10:44 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
With the new IS, ES, and LS on the way, it will be interesting to see how Lexus will be able to differentiate the front ends since I dont see them changing the headlights drastically and that spindle being the new face of lexus.
yeah, you are right. like the BMW line up, they all look the same now... i still find it hard to tell the difference between the 5-series and the 7-series and now that the new 3-series is following all i can do is face-palm my self... as a high end luxury brand people need to know the difference between the models... otherwise that would be insulting to the owner IMHO...
Old 08-25-11, 11:15 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

the CC is a pretty hot car.

Originally Posted by spwolf
If you are looking for good and affordable FWD car, yet stylish, look no further than CC.
No Hyundai interior to date, regardless of price, will look that good.

As to the Kia and Hyundai, there is car chat forum for that.
Old 08-25-11, 11:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Good point, and that was my thought in hoping that the 4GS would be a little more aggressive in the sides and rear end. I don't see this face changing drastically from CT to LS, so more attitude in the body/details for the GS would have been a good way to differentiate it from the ES and IS. Oh well.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus GS350 Hi-Res Photos