GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 05:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Urgh. An aggressive grill with "fangs", yet the rest of the car looks so damn plain.

Considering I live in the northeast, a large majority of GS's I will see will look like this. Small wheels and a high ride height.

Hope the F models look better. This is disappointing.
Old 08-16-11, 05:13 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

There is family resemblance but the car is more planted and aggressive than the CT.
Your persistence is admirable, but some people will only ever see it one way
Old 08-16-11, 05:13 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's hideous, especially compared so some of the very reasonable and doable photoshops we've had in the past.

That rear end reminded me of the facelifted Mitsubishi Galant rear end first time I saw it.

And what's with that awkward rear door cutout? Ugh. Really let down by this.
Old 08-16-11, 05:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Your persistence is admirable, but some people will only ever see it one way
I admired his persistence too, just refused to agreed regardless of how blindingly true it is

That's awesome

You think he is a lawyer?
Old 08-16-11, 05:17 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I remember when the first LF-GH concept came out, everybody threw their arms in the air about how horrible it was, too much in the front, too bland. Then everybody started to accept it, now Lexus is copying Hyundai, Nissan, and BMW. Got it! Hope you guys don't change your minds later on, seems to be a lot of that lately.

There is so much emotion about all of this, you're all like a bunch of school girls.

Rominl said it right, I'm waiting for Pebble Beach to make a online picture judgement and reserving personal judgement for seeing it in person.

Last edited by G Star; 08-16-11 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-16-11, 05:20 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

But even at low res, you can clearly see that the rear looks so much like,

I mean, if you look at Benz or BMW 5 you wont confuse their rear with another make.
Old 08-16-11, 05:23 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

I mean, if you look at Benz or BMW 5 you wont confuse their rear with another make.
No, I can tell the difference.

You'll be confused only if you don't have the eye for detail.

My mom thinks anybody with a dark colored suv looks like my aunt's green Rav4.
Old 08-16-11, 05:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2008ES
I sighed in relief when I saw the front end had lost that gaping black pie-hole, replaced with this more reasonable and Lexus-proportioned facade. Darth Vader is still in there but now he's under lock and key, light saber in check. The iconic, traditional chrome grille surround from earlier generations is symbolically shattered as the new body erupts forward, shedding its old skin from front to back.

Even under the fish-eye lens this GS looks refreshed, confident and athletic without resorting to the silly creases and gratuitous skin contortions of the other manufacturers (although I will admit I'm sorry about the loss of the prototype's subtle, angled "A" lines in the rear.) But at the same time it has a dark side, aggressive and menacing, absolutely not your dad's Lexus. Everything feels like it was carefully weighed against previous iterations to give the customer the best balance of what was, and what will be. If the design had gone in an entirely different direction, it would imply that the GS up to now was wrong, and we all know that's far from true. No it's not a revolution, but I think it's one outstanding evolution.

__
Bravo! You must be a very good fiction writer!
Old 08-16-11, 05:28 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear end of the current E-class looks similar to the 2009-2010 Sonata.
Old 08-16-11, 05:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lol you did not get what i was trying to say man.

i like the ct, a small compact 30k car.

i personally don't mind cars carrying some resemblance. audi (seriously), bmw (quite a bit), mb (not as much, but still some) all have that. it can be good as long as done right.

in this case, i will just wait for thurs to see more official pics to avoid "excuses"
Yeah I misunderstood what you were saying.

Family resemblance is good, but you need to be able to tell them apart from at least a block away. I am huge on this, I used to be able to tell what every car is or have, from a block away, down to the trim level, option packages it got........whether it is modded or not. When the W211 1st came out, I can tell a E55 from a E320 from a mile away.

Now seriously I can't tell the latest A4 from a A6, from 10 feet away, this is nuts! It is so hard to tell a E92 M3 from a fully loaded 335is M-Sport on 19s in a quick glance, I hate it. Now this, is it a GS or CT coming at me?
Old 08-16-11, 05:31 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
No, I can tell the difference.

You'll be confused only if you don't have the eye for detail.

My mom thinks anybody with a dark colored suv looks like my aunt's green Rav4.
And thats the problem... The car in this price range has to be unique. You dont have to look for details. Like I've said in my post, looking at BMW 5 or MB E Class, the cars just dont look like anything on the road (yet). Even the Infiniti M, it may look like an oversized G, but at least it does not resemble the Hundai lol.

Anyways, at this point it is pointless to argue. We'll see what the higher res pics will reveal
Old 08-16-11, 05:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to recall the entire internet thowing their hands up because the back end of the E class looked almost exactly like the previous gen...Hyundai Sonata!

Back of the 5 is handsome but reminiscent of the original Infiniti G35. Audi's rear end is probably the most forgettable in the industry.

Everything looks like everything else.

The world is ending.
Old 08-16-11, 05:39 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

And thats the problem... The car in this price range has to be unique. You dont have to look for details. Like I've said in my post, looking at BMW 5 or MB E Class, the cars just dont look like anything on the road (yet). Even the Infiniti M, it may look like an oversized G, but at least it does not resemble the Hundai lol.

Anyways, at this point it is pointless to argue. We'll see what the higher res pics will reveal

If it it pointless to argue and better to wait for the reveal then why were you trying to convince others that the GS looked like a Hyundai?

If we remove the rear plate of MANY cars on the road, they'll instantly look 10x more awkward, it may be the same in this circumstance.
Old 08-16-11, 05:39 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I never said the CT is bad looking, I was just saying the 4GS's front end looks 97% identical.

It is never a good idea if the high end model look the same as the low end model though, I think it is one reason why the 996 is so undesirable among 911 fans, because it got the same front end as the half price Boxster.
Grill on CT is nothing like the grill on 4GS. You will have to see it in person to convince yourself. 4GS grill is growing out of the nose while on CT its flat.

And I am pretty much sure 996 wasn't popular because Porsche owners are a bunch of conservatives. 996 tried something different and that's why I like it but they got scared so they gave us 997 which looks like a predecessor to 996.
Old 08-16-11, 05:40 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see Sonata resemblance at all and I was wrong about LED tubes. Yes, Lexus people came to their senses finally and gave us some tubes!

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)