GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 06:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by venom21
Okay I am really confused on them offering a 2.5 PETROL engine in Europe and not a hybrid or diesel. What are they thinking? I thought the strategy was all hybrid there and F models?

Originally Posted by syzygy
"If Lexus is serious about this whole "fun to drive" business, you'd think a buttoned-down, high-performance GS with the thundering 416-hp, 5.0-liter V-8 from the IS F under the hood would be a no-brainer, but Lexus insiders remain cagey on the matter, merely pointing out the IS F engine is now relatively old, and that tough new fuel economy laws on the way suggest it might not have much of a future."

Any thoughts on this?
GS F is coming. What is concerning is while this new GS and the new FT-86 seem to have AMAZING CHASSIS, they seem to be offered with just adequate power initially. I have a feeling they are dying to be exploited with more power.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Great job Lexus! Showing off camo prototypes to the media before the official unveiling. The 3GS life cycle has been too long, and Lexus REALLY needed this positive bit of news . This gets the hype going and builds anticipation for the GS. Doesn't really hurt 3GS sales much since they are so low right now.

The traditional Toyota approach of being completely secretive until unveiling still works in some cases, just not this case. Toyota is being very secretive with the new Camry, and rightfully so, as they are the market leader with the Camry and don't want to give the competition anything about the new Camry until it's unveiled.

Really like the interior overall. Very clever use of camouflage tape in the interior. We see the overall interior, but the little details remain hidden for now. I am somewhat disappointed though with the gauges. They look somewhat plain, and I expected fancier gauges. Also disappointed with only one transmission offered for the gas model at launch, and one engine. Hopefully more powertrain choices are added in the future, but on the other hand that could be a repeat of the 3GS. As long as they add powertrains/transmissions instead of replacing them like they did with the 3GS, it should be fine. Fully adjustable front seat side bolsters sound great!

The exterior looks angry and aggressive even with the camo.

Oh and finally I have to say this is vindication with regards to all the critics and haters who criticized the 4GS relentlessly without knowing the facts. Shame on you. To those that claimed it was "impossible" for the new GS to have a 12 inch screen, those that claimed the new GS was using the same chassis as the 3GS, or those that claimed the 4GS would have a longer front overhang than the 3GS, you have been CLEARLY proven wrong.

New front and rear suspension designs, significantly wider front and rear tracks, more spot and laser welding over the chassis, higher strength steel used in critical areas of the chassis, great to hear! Sounds like the chassis was designed to easily handle V8 power . GS F here we come! Amazing that the wheelbase remains the same, car length is about the same, yet the car is wider and taller, seats positioned lower. This means very efficient interior packaging and quite a bit more interior room and trunk room without changing the exterior size of the car. Kudos to Lexus for keeping the GS a mid size prestige luxury sedan, and not making it bigger or heavier. The LS exists for that. Also 15.8 cubic feet of trunk space ? Genius move by Lexus. Improved interior space, better rear suspension *and* much improved trunk space, all at the same time.

Can't wait to hear detailed specs, and see the production version. Eagerly awaiting hybrid specs, GS F details, and possibly more powertrain choices.

The sleeping giant is fully awake people. The next-gen IS, ES, and LS should all be stunning as well. Hyundai Genesis has nothing on this new GS.
Great post, its what I said till I was blue in the face. Wait for the specs and wait for the car to be unveiled/more info. The overhang is SHORTER than the last model.

I am excited for this model, wasn't at first, but I see potential.

Old 07-23-11, 06:24 AM
LexFather

Different interiors so far

Will this be Piano black???????

Old 07-23-11, 06:54 AM
LexFather

Alright finally have time to wrap my head around a few things. Let me get my negatives out the way first.

1. I know it will get a hp bump but I hope its significant in regards to the engines that will be offered. Wasn't too curious on the next GSh but now I am.
2. Would have liked to see the 8 speed auto, not the 6.
3. Sad there is no V-8 model(yet). Shame not even the 4.6 with 380hp or the 5.0 from the IS F.
4. Interior looks very well done but its very German to me with a touch of Japanese in the doors and the way the NAV is designed ala RX. Its somewhat a negative, like the CT it will be a different Lexus experience inside.

Getting past that I am stunned with the interior color choices so far, I am stunned at the specs. Seems I was off about the torque vectoring as it is 4WS instead. The first gen Aristo offered 4WS in Japan. This is a huge plus and seems it might be standard on the GSh.

Sport and Sport+, wow, very Porsche Looks like the team really got it together with handling OUT THE BOX without needing one to to go the aftermarket. This is very good news and the car seems to also keep its usual Lexus ride.

12" screen. Well seems I was right on this one and it is full of awesome! Imagine playing a movie on it inside the car This is something I am sure they will advertise. Great job Lexus.

F-sport package offered! No more having to add sways, springs etc yourself. THEY LISTENED!! Out the box you can get the F sport package! Great job! Notice it also includes bigger brakes.

Finally a staggered package! If one thing the GS always needed was this from the factory, its a big car and needs more tire in the rear, it completely changes the feel of the car. The GErmans have offered this for ages now, a fatter rear tire. Glad Lexus got that memo too!

I am so happy its about the same size, I don't want a bigger car, I like the size of the GS. While everyone is getting heavier and bigger, Lexus fought that TIRED trend here. We don't have a GS that weighs 4500 lbs. This better be commended by the press who constantly harps about weight. I am thinking that since the car is lighter they didn't need the 8 speed yet for MPG purposes. The biggest enemy for efficiency is weight.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
3,638lbs? Amazing stuff, really. Several hundred pounds lighter than the E Class and 5 Series. Mike and I have been calling this for a while

Outside the lack of the GS F yet, I think this has winner on it if they get the advertising right out the box. I don't expect a giant sales bump as the V-8 model was 600-800 sales in its heyday a month unless they REALLY PROMOTE the GS 450h as a V-8 alternative. Also wish they brought a GS 250 here, not sure why Europe gets this petrol model and not us. Europe needs hybrids or diesels. I expect sales to be 1500 units a month with just a GS 350 and a GSh. That is only two models, Audi/BMW/Benz all offer many more options.

Also IGNORE AUTOWEEK. They crap on Lexus at any chance. I've given them feedback, their review is the exact opposite of what everyone else is saying. Terrible journalism is terrible.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-23-11 at 07:09 AM.

Old 07-23-11, 06:56 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2011/07/2...photo-gallery/
Old 07-23-11, 08:15 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most important thing about this car is that the interior is simply a class above the Germans. Here is the widely praised A6 interior for example:

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-0cgns.jpg

Just looking at them you can tell how much higher quality the Lexus is.

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-d8g2u.jpg

Why would I buy an Audi A6, does anyone know?
Old 07-23-11, 08:22 AM
mikesm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gauges don't look that bad to me. They do seem a little out of place compared with the rest of the dash though - I can't quite put my finger on it.

I like the display, though I have yet to be convinced about the remote touch system. The lack of entune aggravates this - if I can send the car my address via cell network, then I don't have to "wiggle it in". POI and such can generally be done well with voice commands (find nearest gas station). But addresses need to be typed in.

The material quality looks much better. The style seems more german to me. I am also looking like an A7, and I was not attracted as much initially to the interior style, but warmed up to it. So either way I am going to deal with a euro style. I do think the A7 touchpad is better than the remote mouse.

I am still worried about the powertrain. My Sienna has a 260 HP engine in it - I never really thought about having the same engine power in a sport sedan. No surpercharger even...

But as I said before, I have always owned toyotas. I really want to buy a new GS - but it almost feels like they did a lot, but couldn't get everything done in time, and later models will be a lot better (better engine/powertrain, entune, etc...). It seems like an unfinished redesign to me.
Old 07-23-11, 08:46 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Wait until you see them in person before you jump the gun or have you drank that much Lexus kool aid already?

(let me remind you Lexus wouldn't have this interior if it wasn't for BMW/Audi. It's funny that Lexus realized they have to copy the Germans in interior design or go home because the older center stalk wasn't cutting it anymore)

You can't tell **** from duct taped covered pics and by comparing it to the most hideous color combo of the A6...

Either way, when is this supposed to hit showrooms? I really want to take a drive
Are you saying the interior is not nicer than the A6? I don't drink koolaid, I've been one of the more outspoken critics of this car thus far. But I know when I'm impressed.

BMW was they one they copied rather than the Germans as a whole, the 5er has arguably the nicest interior in its class, but this car steps it up a notch ("make it leather and supersize the LCD").

Those Audi pics are from autoblog, if you can find similar ones in other color combos be my guest. But regardless of the color combo the interior is very plasticky, compared to the stitched leather in the Lexus. The materials quality is clearly a step down, you can paint plastic any color you want it's still plastic.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 07-23-11 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-23-11, 09:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Wait until you see them in person before you jump the gun or have you drank that much Lexus kool aid already?

(let me remind you Lexus wouldn't have this interior if it wasn't for BMW/Audi. It's funny that Lexus realized they have to copy the Germans in interior design or go home because the older center stalk wasn't cutting it anymore)

You can't tell **** from duct taped covered pics and by comparing it to the most hideous color combo of the A6...

Either way, when is this supposed to hit showrooms? I really want to take a drive
well it is hard not to see difference in material quality - where lexus has leather, A6 has plastics.
Old 07-23-11, 09:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikesm
The gauges don't look that bad to me. They do seem a little out of place compared with the rest of the dash though - I can't quite put my finger on it.

I like the display, though I have yet to be convinced about the remote touch system. The lack of entune aggravates this - if I can send the car my address via cell network, then I don't have to "wiggle it in". POI and such can generally be done well with voice commands (find nearest gas station). But addresses need to be typed in.

The material quality looks much better. The style seems more german to me. I am also looking like an A7, and I was not attracted as much initially to the interior style, but warmed up to it. So either way I am going to deal with a euro style. I do think the A7 touchpad is better than the remote mouse.

I am still worried about the powertrain. My Sienna has a 260 HP engine in it - I never really thought about having the same engine power in a sport sedan. No surpercharger even...

But as I said before, I have always owned toyotas. I really want to buy a new GS - but it almost feels like they did a lot, but couldn't get everything done in time, and later models will be a lot better (better engine/powertrain, entune, etc...). It seems like an unfinished redesign to me.
i wouldnt worry about GS 350 feeling like engine from your Sienna... because it is great engine with D4-S in GS350. It is pretty wonderful.

as to the remote touch, it allows for more natural feedback and control - for instance it has haptic feedback.
Also, most people control mouse to touch pads.
Old 07-23-11, 09:29 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the "Passionate Black" Interior makes a return.
Old 07-23-11, 09:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mordecai
(and BTW do you guys think it's one single screen because from this image it could be two screens)
it is one screen with dual view - on the right screen you can have music, climate control, etc, etc.
Old 07-23-11, 09:37 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

How big is that screen looks like a 10 like the 7Series, everyday there is a leak, and everyday I want it even more than the last. Not sure how others feel but it seems like Lexus answered most of the problems, I see most of the LS functions have transferred into the GS. NICE!
Old 07-23-11, 09:40 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ I agree on the one "Wide Screen"...

No one finds the "Heads Up Display" as a cool option??

I am sure it will have lane assist.. I wonder if it will carry any smart technology for accident avoidance systems..

The new gas pedal design was long over due!!!

Joe Z
Old 07-23-11, 09:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Focus.de:
http://translate.google.com/translat...id_648543.html

- 60 KG reduction in weight (for hybrid?)
- noticeably more legroom and headroom
- performance of GS450h was already good, so they turned to mpg which is "improved by more than 10%".
- feels like smaller and lighter car on country roads, with LDS and RWS.
- GS250 has "250 hp" (estimation, not sure how true or not)
- GS450h feels "a lot more dynamic" (i am assuming it is F-Sport).

overall they feel it is great improvement everywhere.
Old 07-23-11, 09:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ I agree on the one "Wide Screen"...

No one finds the "Heads Up Display" as a cool option??

I am sure it will have lane assist.. I wonder if it will carry any smart technology for accident avoidance systems..

The new gas pedal design was long over due!!!

Joe Z
it has LKA/PCS, probably new system that auto steers away from accident (Toyota presented it few days ago). they are all bundled together with radar cruise control.

Heads up is very cool, we kind of assumed it will be there since RX has it too. But i love it, yes... i want that in my next car.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)