GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I don't like where the side mirros are placed
with the 2is and 4ls, i imagined this happening already
Old 07-14-11, 11:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

when is this car expected to be released again? this fall?

if the wheelbase is the same as the 3GS but the car is 2.5" longer, i really really don't get it as the 3GS overhangs are way too long as it is.

hoping it looks good...
Old 07-14-11, 11:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when is this car expected to be released again? this fall?

if the wheelbase is the same as the 3GS but the car is 2.5" longer, i really really don't get it as the 3GS overhangs are way too long as it is.

hoping it looks good...
so far from what i read, it seems debut soon, but release early next year
Old 07-14-11, 05:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

You can't just add inches to a wheelbase without completely revamping the vehicle inside and out. It sounds so simple on the internet but it is far more complicated than that.

it's a new generation model. Why WOULDN'T you want to revamp the car inside and out ? They revamped the interior and exterior metal. Why not the chassis.

the previous generation A6 had nasty overhangs, yes.

But the NEW a6 and 5 series both increased their wheelbase, and are completely revamped.
bmw upped it from 113 to 116"
audi upped it from 112 to 115"

Again, it's a new model. it's SUPPOSED to be revamped.

One does not need to go to design school to claim whether it can be done or not, because it's BEEN done many times over already.

Why do I compare the GS concept to german production models?
because the GS concept has the exact same dimensions as the production 4GS !
Here is the side view of the mule, exactly matched up by line, wheelbase, and creases, with the concept.... It's at a slightly different camera angle, but the side matches up exactly nevertheless. Stare at every single line, and view the proof.

http://i55.tinypic.com/14b8ev.gif

and for another comparison, the new A6. It's been said that the new A6 is very roomy inside. I wonder why...
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-gsva6.jpg  
Old 07-14-11, 05:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

me personally i am all for longer wheel base, if that's what it takes for smoother ride, better use of room, and especially better rear room. like it or not, cars are getting bigger and bigger, that's just how it is. having less overhang looks better (pretty obvious to me at least).

if anything, i guess downside maybe not as good performance / turning circle? that might be true, but i am pretty sure the f10 m5 will run pretty good. i think lexus has every reason to increase the wheelbase, unless they find some new great ways to get more room / better ride. i hope lexus isn't restricting the wheel base with the reason of retaining driving / handling.
Old 07-14-11, 05:43 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
it's a new generation model. Why WOULDN'T you want to revamp the car inside and out ? They revamped the interior and exterior metal. Why not the chassis.

But the NEW a6 and 5 series both increased their wheelbase, and are completely revamped.

One does not need to go to design school to claim whether it can be done or not, because it's BEEN done many times over already.

Here is the side view of the mule, exactly matched up by line, wheelbase, and creases, with the concept.... It's at a slightly different camera angle, but the side matches up exactly nevertheless. Stare at every single line, and view the proof.

and for another comparison, the new A6. It's been said that the new A6 is very roomy inside. I wonder why...
I am with you on this, though the A6 too still has too much front overhang. I am disappointed with the front overhang on the 2012 GS, it will not be rivaling the 5er in proportions.

I also agree that a car looks best when the distance from axle to front door is greater than the distance from front bumper to axle. With the GS the axle seems to be in the middle, which is almost FWD like. The 5er is very nice in this regard.

However if the 4GS ends up looking like the silver mock up in my sig, I think it will look better than pretty much every other car in its class including the 5er.
Old 07-14-11, 05:52 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i hope lexus isn't restricting the wheel base with the reason of retaining driving / handling.

even worse, if it was a cost cutting reason to reuse the same chassis.
we may never know.

but done is done. here's to hoping this GS addresses every single shortcoming of the previous 3 generations.

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-14-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 06:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

that A6 has same interior size as the GS concept, look at the doors.

F10 is 400 lbs heavier than GS350, with less standard equipment.

I will gladly accept few inches of overhang for 400lbs of weight.
Old 07-14-11, 06:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

even worse, if it was a cost cutting reason to reuse the same chassis.
we may never know.

but done is done. here's to hoping this GS addresses every single shortcoming of the previous 3 generations.
i cant believe you are defending F10's use of 7 series platform that made it so heavy... thats just insane.
Old 07-14-11, 06:11 PM
LexFather

http://i55.tinypic.com/14b8ev.gif

My apologies in advance being a Lexus enthusiast on a Lexus forum trying understand the hate for Lexus every time a new Lexus debuts in regards to your opinion.

You and others said it looks like an E60, but you chose to compare the car to the F10 instead? Again the F10 is based on the 7 series and if the GS is not based on the LS, well the engineering and design will be completely different even if they have similar dimensions. Its easy to just use some PS and say "hey that should be this" when we have no idea what goes behind the design/engineering in these cars.

The Audi A6 is FWD, it is FWD, it is FWD with AWD slapped in. The design thus is completely different from the start. The A6 has always been longer than the GS, this is nothing new. Audi completely redesigned their cars first with engineering, while FWD based, they moved the engine much further back in the engine bay to allow them to give it better/RWD like proportions. Even when they were heavily front biased, their designers did a great job with making NOT look FWD.

I am unsure how anyone can be so confident about the design when you are comparing a CONCEPT and a COVERED MULE to PRODUCTION CARS.Why don't we compare the GS to anything then? Lets compare a pic of the alien car on Jupiter while we are at it. I mean, the GS should look like it right? I simply don't understand the logic of putting that much effort into knocking the GS down and saying "it should be like this" when no one here knows the reasoning behind ANY of these cars design/engineering.

You are also exhibiting the usual behavior for most people, "oh bigger is better". Some of us are happy with the current size of the car and don't desire a mid-size that continues to grow to near large-size. If I want an LS sized car, I will buy an LS. I guess next generation you will say "OMG IT NEEDS A 140" WHEELBASE TO COMPETE". It is entirely possible they cut costs or maybe they saw potential in the current platform. I mean the IS F uses this platform and with the revised 2011 suspension it is on par pretty much with a M3 now.

A longer wheelbase is not necessary all the time. Porsche has a ridiculously small wheelbase and it rarely has grown in 30 years yet its arguably the best driving car on the road. The Nissan Maxima also got smaller and it drives much better than the last model. I agree that most times, it does grow but there is a strong possibility for whatever reason it does not. IMO, there is some overreacting here, which is not unusual on the internet.

The bottom line is no one here has seen the production car, no one has driven the new GS. I await the continued "Negative Nancy" comments over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...... My apologies for being tired of it every time I open a new Lexus thread. I expect that behavior on the many other forums that have people that hate Lexus with a passion, I don't expect to come to my Lexus home and see the same crap spewed over and over. Sorry but you drew silly pics for the LFA, you make fun of the CT, you diss and over and over anything Lexus does in regards to design. There is nothing Lexus can do to make you happy as far as I am concerned. Every time there is a Lexus debuting or a Lexus coming out its the same thing, over and over.

The funny thing is I honesty prefer the fastback shape of the 1/2/3GS to what looks like a more traditional 3 box shape with the 4GS. Thus far the pics and spy shots leave me lukewarm, so I am not even defending the LOOKS of the design. I have a sad feeling its going to let me down, heck we already know it loses the quad lamps, a signature I love about the GS.

My apologies for being completely tired of the constant negative posts over and over and over from the same people every time there is a new Lexus debuting. If I want to read that, I can go to Autoblog or some other site. My expectation is to see fair opinions on both sides regarding the GS, not to come into a thread and read negative remarks over and over.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-14-11 at 06:25 PM.

Old 07-14-11, 06:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
me personally i am all for longer wheel base, if that's what it takes for smoother ride, better use of room, and especially better rear room. like it or not, cars are getting bigger and bigger, that's just how it is. having less overhang looks better (pretty obvious to me at least).

if anything, i guess downside maybe not as good performance / turning circle? that might be true, but i am pretty sure the f10 m5 will run pretty good. i think lexus has every reason to increase the wheelbase, unless they find some new great ways to get more room / better ride. i hope lexus isn't restricting the wheel base with the reason of retaining driving / handling.
downside is weight... BMW uses it to place engine behind the front axle for better weight distribution, but again, problem is that it is very heavy vehicle.

my AWD was already heavy car... I dont want GS to gain 500-600lbs like F10 did.
Old 07-14-11, 06:27 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

So let me get this right. You and other said it looks like an E60, but you chose to compare the car to the F10 instead? Again the F10 is based on the 7 series and if the GS is not based on the LS, well the engineering and design will be completely different even if they have similar dimensions. Its easy to just use some PS and say "hey that should be this" when we have no idea what goes behind the design/engineering in these cars.

The Audi A6 is FWD, it is FWD, it is FWD with AWD slapped in. The design thus is completely different from the start. The A6 has always been longer than the GS, this is nothing new. Audi completely redesigned their cars first with engineering, while FWD based, they moved the engine much further back in the engine bay to allow them to give it better/RWD like proportions. Even when they were heavily front biased, their designers did a great job with making NOT look FWD.

I am unsure how you or anyone can be so confident about the design WHEN YOU ARE COMPARING A CONCEPT AND COVERED UP MULE TO PRODUCTION CARS. Why don't we compare the GS to anything then? Lets compare a pic of the alien car on Jupiter while we are at it. I mean, the GS should look like it right?

You are also exhibiting the usual behavior for most people, "oh bigger is better". Some of us are happy with the current size of the car and don't desire a mid-size that continues to grow to near large-size. If I want an LS sized car, I will buy an LS. I guess next generation you will say "OMG IT NEEDS A 140" WHEELBASE TO COMPETE".

A longer wheelbase is not necessary all the time. Porsche has a ridiculously small wheelbase and it rarely has grown in 30 years yet its arguably the best driving car on the road. The Nissan Maxima also got smaller and it drives much better than the last model.

The bottom line is no one here has seen the production car, no one has driven the new GS. I await the continued "Negative Nancy" comments over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...... You drew silly pics for the LFA, you make fun of the CT, you diss and over and over anything Lexus does in regards to design. Everytime there is a Lexus debuting or a Lexus coming out its the same thing, over and over.

The funny thing is I honesty prefer the fastback shape of the 1/2/3GS to what looks like a more traditional 3 box shape with the 4GS. Thus far the pics and spy shots leave me lukewarm, so I am not even defending the LOOKS of the design. I have a sad feeling its going to let me down, heck we already know it loses the quad lamps, a signature I love about the GS.

My apologies for being completely tired of the constant negative posts over and over and over ..........
Rumors say the car will look 95% like the concept, and the animation he provided shows that at least the shape will be almost exactly like the concept car. It's not hard to see that.

Being like the concept is good and bad. Good because the concept was highly detailed, very muscular, bold and with a great stance. Bad because the wheelbase seems unchanged from the current GS and the overhangs have grown because of the length increases. If you increase the length, you want to increase the wheelbase too otherwise the proportions will fail.

Audi is making FWD cars look more like RWD cars but Lexus with a RWD setup is making the GS look more FWD. This is probably because of lazy engineering, where they do not want to change the platform and the wheelbase but want a completely different exterior design.

Having said all that though I still think this car will look very good, it will for sure beat out the A6 and the E-class in looks inside and out. The F10 5er is a tough one to beat because the proportions are so perfect and pure. Something BMW has been doing for a long time.
Old 07-14-11, 06:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Rumors say the car will look 95% like the concept, and the animation he provided shows that at least the shape will be almost exactly like the concept car. It's not hard to see that.

Being like the concept is good and bad. Good because the concept was highly detailed, very muscular, bold and with a great stance. Bad because the wheelbase seems unchanged from the current GS and the overhangs have grown because of the length increases. If you increase the length, you want to increase the wheelbase too otherwise the proportions will fail.

Audi is making FWD cars look more like RWD cars but Lexus with a RWD setup is making the GS look more FWD. This is probably because of lazy engineering, where they do not want to change the platform and the wheelbase but want a completely different exterior design.

Having said all that though I still think this car will look very good, it will for sure beat out the A6 and the E-class in looks inside and out. The F10 5er is a tough one to beat because the proportions are so perfect and pure. Something BMW has been doing for a long time.
Unless I need to get another eye exam instead of my early check-up, I'm looking at the overhangs and while they are sizable in no way shape of form they they scream "OMG HUGE OVERHANG". I think there is sizeable overacting here. A car's details can look vastly different in pics than in person.

Look again I am not defending the design, I'm not blown away at all. I much prefer short overhangs as well, that is my personal preference. I love the 2GS overhangs to the 1/3GS. The car is COVERED in black tarp. Over the years I have calmed down my opinions on spy shots until the car is shown, I'm sure I've typed "will wait to see in person" in multiple threads.

There is also some credibility involved. If someone constantly berates every Lexus design do you honestly think I will take that opinion as anything but the usual anti-Lexus tirade? If we have yet to see an owner's vehicle and they say they have one, why would I take their opinion with anything but a grain of salt? Its like my editorial about the blogs on the LFA, you got to tune some of the noise out.

I just want to see the car and I just want to see the specs. The next GSh interests me but honestly I have hopes mostly in a GS F and quite frankly I will be let down if it does not make production and Porsche is looking mighty fine, especially with a new corporate HG and track in Atlanta.

Old 07-14-11, 06:43 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Unless I need to get another eye exam instead of my early check-up, I'm looking at the overhangs and while they are sizable in no way shape of form they they scream "OMG HUGE OVERHANG". I think there is sizeable overacting here. A car's details can look vastly different in pics than in person.

Look again I am not defending the design, I'm not blown away at all. I much prefer short overhangs as well, that is my personal preference. I love the 2GS overhangs to the 1/3GS. The car is COVERED in black tarp. Over the years I have calmed down my opinions on spy shots until the car is shown, I'm sure I've typed "will wait to see in person" in multiple threads.

There is also some credibility involved. If someone constantly berates every Lexus design do you honestly think I will take that opinion as anything but the usual anti-Lexus tirade? If we have yet to see an owner's vehicle and they say they have one, why would I take their opinion with anything but a grain of salt? Its like my editorial about the blogs on the LFA, you got to tune some of the noise out.

I just want to see the car and I just want to see the specs. The next GSh interests me but honestly I have hopes mostly in a GS F and quite frankly I will be let down if it does not make production and Porsche is looking mighty fine, especially with a new corporate HG and track in Atlanta.
I think the disappointment lies in that the 2012 GS appears to have a longer front overhang than the outgoing model.

For me though if it looks like this I'd be very happy.

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-zuyfj.png

Note it's the concept PSed so the overhangs should match the production GS. By all indications so far the final version will be very close to that, maybe even better but we'll know for sure in August.
Old 07-14-11, 06:58 PM
LexFather

And one is a photoshop and the other is a masked mule. Yes I can see what you and others are saying but I am not going to beat the living daylights out of concepts/covered mules. I understand excitement for those waiting to see the GS but I simply do not understand constant posting and harping and defecating on the GS. A point is made, move on.

If I wanted to drive myself crazy, I could quote the comments complaining about wheelgap, the wheel choice and the LEDs all on a mule driven at the Ring.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)