GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 06:28 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
FI is noisy (noisier than the same NA engine alone at least) though. I think that's the single biggest concern for a Lexus.
I don't think quietness is as much a concern for an "F" model. We're not talking about a supercharged ES here. We're talking about a car that is to appeal to performance oriented drivers, not so much the luxury driver. Improve the exhaust note to hide the engine whine and people will be happy.
Old 01-04-10, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I for one am glad that Lexus is not getting too involved in the HP war like the other manufacturers. We are talking about a luxury sedan here, how many HP do we really need? And what do we give up for that extra HP, reliability, refinement or comfort. 300 HP is plenty for any average size sport sedan, car manufacturers should really concentrate in other areas that can improve on. I for one will not buy one sedan over another just because it has a few more HP.
agree. i kind of think mb is the most involved in the whole hp thing and their amg cars aren't doing particularly well
Old 01-04-10, 08:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
agree. i kind of think mb is the most involved in the whole hp thing and their amg cars aren't doing particularly well
I think the tragedy for AMG cars is the insane depreciation, which makes them literally more expensive to own than cars like Porsches and Ferraris.
Old 01-22-10, 07:11 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Default **New GS-F rumors**

I'm bumping this thread because there are new rumors concerning the GS-F coming from Pistonhead. Here's the article posted by krew of Lexus Enthusiast:

More Lexus GS-F Rumors
Posted by krew on January 21st, 2010

Pistonheads has published some very interesting quotes from Lexus representatives at the Detroit Auto Show about possible applications of the LFA’s V10 engine:

“It’s not a straightforward job, because although the V10 is very compact its dry sump design means you have to find space under the bonnet for the oil tank,” said one insider. “That said, we do have two large sedans where the engine could possibly be made to fit.”

“We’ve already got a transmission that can handle the engine, in the shape of the 8-speed auto fitted to the IS-F. With its torque converter lock-up it would work very well in a car like this,” we were told.

“We’d need to be able to do a run of 5000 to 10,000 cars to make it feasible, and it wouldn’t be cheap. But with the LF-A we’re just starting to introduce very high performance as a Lexus brand value, so it’s natural that we will be looking at ways to develop this in future,” confirmed our informant.

It sounds like pure speculation, but it’s exciting nonetheless—I know from my own discussions with the Lexus people at the show that the high-revving LFA engine would be entirely unsuited for the LS lineup and its expected refinement, which would leave the GS as the only real Lexus model capable of handling the 552hp V10.

The big issue is the price—I was told the LFA engine could add upwards of $60-70k to the MSRP, which would push a potential GS-F over $100k and make it more expensive than a BMW M5 or a Mercedes E63. A tall order to be sure, and one that would require a significant rethink of the Lexus sports sedan.

And yet, as easy as it would be to dismiss the idea, the LFA itself is proof that anything’s possible. No one was expecting a $400k Lexus supercar, and yet only three months after its introduction, the entire production run has been spoken for. It’s for that reason that I’m not giving up hope on a GS-F, and from the sounds of the Pistonheads article, neither is Lexus.

[Source: Pistonheads]
Old 01-22-10, 10:26 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i thought i recall reading somewhere that the LFA V10 would not be shared with other platforms? maybe i recall incorrectly?

maybe the IS-F V8 engine could probably see action in the GS-F?
Old 01-22-10, 10:30 AM
LexFather

I think he is saying "technically we could" but as stated (and what I estimated ) the LFA engine in itself costs 2/3rds of what this class costs.

What is exciting is clearly they will take learnings from the LFA and apply it to the GS-F.

Old 01-22-10, 10:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i thought i recall reading somewhere that the LFA V10 would not be shared with other platforms? maybe i recall incorrectly?

maybe the IS-F V8 engine could probably see action in the GS-F?
That is correct, the LFA v10 will not be shared in any other Toyota or Lexus.
Old 01-22-10, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think he is saying "technically we could" but as stated (and what I estimated ) the LFA engine in itself costs 2/3rds of what this class costs.

What is exciting is clearly they will take learnings from the LFA and apply it to the GS-F.
yup, technically can, practically doesn't make sense. a gsf for over 100k, umm... might not do very well
Old 01-22-10, 11:53 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Well Lexus has the option of devloping another V10 that's cheaper to mass produce than the LFA's or they could experiment with some forced induction
Old 01-22-10, 11:55 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by (cj)
well lexus has the option of devloping another v10 that's cheaper to mass produce than the lfa's or they could experiment with some forced induction :d
fi ftw!!!!!
Old 01-22-10, 12:23 PM
LexFather

Well while I hope it makes ample power I also hope it keeps a lower weight than the competition. I mean in "name" we can call the M5 and E63 etc all sports sedans but they are all heavy as hell with mostly automatics. I think they make great extensions of the brands and I would love anyone as they mix superpower, luxury, safety, features and handling.

I don't want/expect some lotus elise but it seems every sedan is getting bigger, heavier and more complicated. Going back from the GSh to modded GS 430, I love the fact the GS 430 shares similar dimensions but is lighter and with one button, the trac control is off and I am off to kill myself

Though I know I am dreaming....the car will be bigger, heavier, more complicated

Old 01-22-10, 12:29 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

460 hp when the CTS-V has 550 and the new M5 might possibly have close to 600? Is Lexus retarded when it comes to aiming for hp figure?
Old 01-22-10, 01:26 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
460 hp when the CTS-V has 550 and the new M5 might possibly have close to 600? Is Lexus retarded when it comes to aiming for hp figure?
You evidently only read the first post in this thread
Old 01-22-10, 02:36 PM
soakgame
Lead Lap

omg i want a gs-f.. at this rate i will be in debt forever =)
Old 01-22-10, 05:24 PM
yuenchiu6
Driver School Candidate

4.6L or 5.0L direct injection twin turbo seem to be a right choice for the engine of GS-F in term of the cost and technical aspect. It are good enough to make close 580-600 hp and why bother for Toyota not using something having been developed?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)