GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 03:09 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the current GS350 is nice, but a new upgraded one? I think that'll fill the void, plus the fact the 350 has AWD, I'm sure the new one will be around 340-350HP since the old one was around 305HP (303 on lexus site)? That leaves the Hybrid to be uprated to around 400HP since the current one is at the GS460's 340HP. I would say this is the case. A higher output from the V6 to equal or almost equal the older 460's 340HP and have the Hybrid even stronger, that being the upscale model. And a possible F version with maybe an uprated V8 from the IS-F- closer to 500HP. That's my guess and motortrend's guess is pretty close to it.
Old 07-21-10, 03:38 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

That's good news. Hope they can bring the spark back to the "something wicked this way comes " GS

speculation:

GS 350 = V6
GS h = hybrid with v8 performance
GS F = powa

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well that and cough cough...next SC might be two models...cough cough...big CL fighter and cough cough 4 door coupe CLS figher...cough cough...
Old 07-21-10, 03:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i personally am still not sure if it's a good idea to drop v8. yes, hybrid v6 can probably provide v8 power (400hp), but with 550 and e550, the v8 in this segment still means something. having gsf or not should have no influence on whether they do the v8 or not. we will see, but from what i see, a lot of people they still prefer v8 over hybrid.

and on the navigation, touch screen is good, but all things considered, personally i think the remote touch is a better system
Old 07-21-10, 04:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

-GS 350 name will continue with a bump in HP
-GSh will continue, not sure of power/MPG bump
-GS 460 will not be replaced. The business case for the V-8 was nill since the hybrid will continue to provide V-8 power with better MPG and the V-8 GS never sold well (though this is IMO some of their own doing with the V-8s the 3GS got)
-Interior is amazing, a significant step up i style and quality, CTish
-12" screen in the interior with remote touch
-The drive will be significantly sportier and more in tune with the 5 series
-GS F is likely coming but hasn't been given the 100% approval yet
-Exterior a blend of curves with the traditional GS features

I'm expecting we will see some photos soon
Thanks for the info 1SICKLEX!!! Sounds logical thus far. The GS 350 is the volume seller, and will be upgraded. GS 450h and 460 have some overlap. Key thing will be enlarging the 450h trunk (note with the refreshes for the 450h, 600h L, and now with the HS 250h, the trunks are getting bigger). Sportier a must. Perhaps the GS-F will be the heir apparent to the GS 400 success story of the 2GS.
Old 07-21-10, 05:53 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
the h is just too unpractical.
because of price or?
Old 07-21-10, 06:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
because of price or?
Smaller trunk, questionable life span of batteries, serviceability concerns. And lets be honest, it lacks that V8 grunt that makes you smile
Old 07-21-10, 06:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Smaller trunk, questionable life span of batteries, serviceability concerns. And lets be honest, it lacks that V8 grunt that makes you smile
Lifespan has been established as highly favorable. No questions there. A nicer exhaust setup would be nice to give it a commanding presence. However, as the GSh is quickest of the GS choices, I don't think it needs more power to sell better, so much as it needs better mileage.
Old 07-21-10, 07:03 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Updated with what I've heard through the grapevine........
what grapevine is this and how reliable is it?
Old 07-21-10, 07:06 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TF109B
I'm sure the current GS350 is nice, but a new upgraded one? I think that'll fill the void, plus the fact the 350 has AWD, I'm sure the new one will be around 340-350HP since the old one was around 305HP (303 on lexus site)? That leaves the Hybrid to be uprated to around 400HP since the current one is at the GS460's 340HP. I would say this is the case. A higher output from the V6 to equal or almost equal the older 460's 340HP and have the Hybrid even stronger, that being the upscale model. And a possible F version with maybe an uprated V8 from the IS-F- closer to 500HP. That's my guess and motortrend's guess is pretty close to it.
Sorry, but if the GS F is anywhere close to the 500 hp mark, it will be the underpowered step-child of this class.

The E63 already has 518, the upcoming F10 M5 is rumored to be somewhere between 550 and 580 hp and the RS6 already has 580 hp (we can get it up here ). Unfortunately, I just don't see the GS F as making up the handling deficiency, in addition to a power one.

The hybrid is a great option and the 350 can comfortably compete with their German counterparts, but the lack of a V8 and an weak (potential) GS F is not a good sign for the future of Lexus if they want to shed their "lack of performance" image.
Old 07-21-10, 07:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's sad to see them drop the V8 if it happens that way. Like you said Mike, they shot themselves in BOTH feet: weak 4.3 at launch, detuned 4.6 later, while the competition became stronger and more powerful. There is no market for a V8 GS because Lexus makes it readily apparent that they don't even take the car seriously

The other stuff sounds good...it needs Sports packages, F sport models, and more compelling wheel choices next time around.

I was kinda looking forward to a ~400HP V8 GS

However, if they can get a 0-60 of 5.0 seconds or less, 30+MPG and curb weight of less than 3,900lbs with a hybrid V6, then I am all for it
Old 07-21-10, 07:17 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Is there any discussion of going to turbos on the V6's like the Germans???
Old 07-21-10, 07:30 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
if you look at the prius' longevity, i think you can say with a 95% confidence level that the life span of the hybrid battery is very good. there are lots of prius hybrids running with original hybrid battery and still going strong. i feel confident that the GSh hybrid battery will also last as long, given that the same technology is in place.

furthermore, there is no lack of V8-like grunt from the GS450h as you put it. my experience shows that the GS450h can hang with the regular V8s just fine, see below for details:

link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sto...ercharged.html
Old 07-21-10, 07:35 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Sorry, but if the GS F is anywhere close to the 500 hp mark, it will be the underpowered step-child of this class.

The E63 already has 518, the upcoming F10 M5 is rumored to be somewhere between 550 and 580 hp and the RS6 already has 580 hp (we can get it up here ). Unfortunately, I just don't see the GS F as making up the handling deficiency, in addition to a power one.

The hybrid is a great option and the 350 can comfortably compete with their German counterparts, but the lack of a V8 and an weak (potential) GS F is not a good sign for the future of Lexus if they want to shed their "lack of performance" image.
I agree completely, and you have to wonder - would Lexus be O.K. with a V8 F/I GS-F that produces more peak horsepower than the LF-A?

Would they consider putting the LF-A's V10 into a GS-F?

The people who lose in this situation are LF-A owners, obviously. Fortunately, they are virtually inconsequential as far as market presence and profitability go.
Old 07-21-10, 07:39 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why does everyone think that Lexus has to "up the power" and "increase performance" to be as "good as" the Germans? Maybe Lexus never did and doesn't plan on being German. Maybe they're just happy being Japanese?

Not everyone is a Capt. Kirk freak "I NEED MORE POWER SCOTTY !!!!" Lexus should concentrate on comfort, reliability, material quality, and just being a super nice car to own. You want power, go buy BMW/MB/Audi then... ugh.
Old 07-21-10, 07:48 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Why does everyone think that Lexus has to "up the power" and "increase performance" to be as "good as" the Germans? Maybe Lexus never did and doesn't plan on being German. Maybe they're just happy being Japanese?

Not everyone is a Capt. Kirk freak "I NEED MORE POWER SCOTTY !!!!" Lexus should concentrate on comfort, reliability, material quality, and just being a super nice car to own. You want power, go buy BMW/MB/Audi then... ugh.
Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

If you want to be a true Tier 1 brand, you have to offer a little bit of everything....and that includes performance. The GS (excluding the Hybrid) is not on the same playing field as the current gen E class, 5 series, or A6. You could provide a strong argument that the true Tier 1 brands are Mercedes, BMW, Audi with Lexus just entering that class. Lexus needs to show that they can compete on all levels with the Germans. Being better solely in luxury and reliabilty does not make a Tier 1 brand.

If you want to be happy being "Japanese", you can focus on competing with Acura and Infiniti (both of which Lexus are killing ).

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)