GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 08:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

2013 LEXUS GS: FRONT = HONDA ACCORD, REAR = HYUNDAI SONATA, SIDE = INFINITI G37

OVERALL = Bad Design!!!...........Hope FSport Version is better.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-16-11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-16-11, 09:03 PM
Mind18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The fishnet stocking grill blends nicely into the rest-very nice rendition and worthy of the GS nameplate. Great job.
I wish they would have at least kept the fog light design instead of going run of the mill. If a Ford Edge can have the type of fog lights as the concept, so should this in production form. Obviously I'll wait to see better pictures, but was expecting something more forward thinking, if this is to set the tone of the new "bolder" direction for Lexus.

Last edited by Mind18; 08-16-11 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-16-11, 09:17 PM
8SpdShift
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry I'm late but to be honest after reading multiple replies I wonder if people remember anything past 10 minutes. I say that because while this GS is debuting some "new" design language it clearly still looks like a GS in many ways, a design that has evolved since 1993.

Why the big fuss over some awful photos of a white car in base trim with the smallest wheels with the highest ride height? I mean that is the worst looking way to have a spy pic. It is very unflattering, which seems to agree with many people who can't wait to bash the GS. I'll reserve final judgement after seeing it in person and seeing the lowered F-sport with the staggered 19s and the BBK.

As for the tailights I'm here to kill the ridiculous Sonata noise. Listen, Hyundai copies, that is their M.O, the tailights are clearly Lexus inspired. I remember all the fuss when Lexus started having their tailights stick out from the bodywork. Lexus has done this for YEARS now. Hyundai stole it and now a new Lexus comes and it looks like a Hyundai? Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Its simply an EVOLUTION of Lexus lights. The light clearly is similar to the LS/CT and LFA.

As for the front, I am not a fan of the half Chrome grill and quite frankly the overstyled chrome grills Lexus is doing. The RX chrome grill extends and I don't get it. I don't get it on the CT or on this. Just make a frame. Now I have to paint it. I already think Lexus does this for the CT. Besides I'm sure the F-sport grill will be better. I'm also saddened to see the loss of the quad lamps and the vertical "waterfall" slants. That was a GS staple since 1993. I think if it had that it would help separate it from the CT.

I'm also here to kill all this talk of "OMG it looks like a CT". Some people seemingly love to fap to death when the Germans make their vehicles different sizes, one look and now Lexus shares a family resemblance and its "identical"? REALLY? That nasty double standard is something. Then when Lexus makes the cars look different the argument is "OMG Lexus cars look different, they need to look similar"

This is not 1998. Everyone today makes good looking cars or cars with style. The GS in 1998 was one of 3, the E/5. In 2012 everyone makes a stylish car. What did you expect? Did you really expect to be blown away? So far I do wish it looked, I dunno, "better" or more fluid/futuristic than the traditional 3 box (losing its current fastback shape and 2GS fastback shape) but I'll wait to see in person.
I have literally read hundreds of replies about this car on websites from MotorTrend to AutoBlog to a dozen other anonymous automotive enthusiasts websites... and your comment is BY FAR the most intelligent, unbiased comment I've read. Kudos!

I cannot stand all of the blind hatred slash German Fanboyism slash extreme double standards that are imposed on Toyota/Lexus. If someone showed me a BMW 3-Series from a decade ago and a 2011 3-Series, I'd have a hard time finding many differences. Same for MOST of the rest of the BMW lineup and the same thing rings true for the Benz lineup. Heck, show me current BMW 3-Series, 5-Series, and 7-Series from the front (alone) and I'd have a hard time trying to convince someone that those were supposed to be three different cars! You can add Audi into that mix, as well. So why is it that when Lexus decides to copy the Germans and have some family similarities, all of a sudden Toyota/Lexus has committed the biggest travesty ever done in this world??? Where are the mobs with daggers and torches, crying foul at the Germans, for committing the same offenses?? When Lexus has similarities across the board (however minute or blatant), everyone wants the entire design teams at Toyota/Lexus to be beheaded. But, when the Germans do the same thing, all of a sudden "it's tasteful" ... "it's to be expected and I personally see nothing wrong with it" ... "it shows the amazing creativity, ingenuity, engineering, and craftsmanship of the Germans". It almost makes me sick to my stomach!

Toyota will NEVER be able to do anything right. People will always find a way to marginalize their efforts. Everyone cries Toyota's are too boring and for old people ... Lexus makes the LFA. Now, the car is too expensive so it can't be justified so it's a failure or it's 0.0000003 seconds slower than a (insert car here) so it fails! People say Lexus mainstream sedans are generic and dated. They look to German-inspired design themes ... now, Lexus are copycats or it won't hold a candle to the competition or even though the interior is a direct ripoff of a BMW, it's beautiful when it's inside a BMW but if it's a Lexus all of a sudden it's garbage. Toyota/Lexus just needs to make nothing but hybrids and let all of the whiners go and purchase all of the millions of cars that are supposedly better than the Toyota/Lexus model. Let's 600,000 90-year-olds, per year, be happy. A sale is a sale.

BTW, this is supposedly the (cough) "brand new" BMW 3-Series. Can anyone tell me if these aren't older photos of the current 5-Series??? See if you can tell which car is which...

Source: Breaking: 2012 BMW F30 3-series Caught Uncovered at Photoshoot!!
Old 08-16-11, 09:23 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys there is a lot of the concept in this car, it's clear even from these fish eyed and low resolution pics. Keep in mind the LFGh is probably closer to the GS F sport than the base model.

Let's start with the rear, where most of the changes have been made. Compare to a similarly fish eyed LFGh rear and a non-fisheyed rear:

Attachment 503138

There are a lot of changes to the details, such as slight changes in the tail light shape, the lighting element design, the bumper etc... but the general shape and surfaces are there, i.e. with the trunk lid. The glass and roof seem to be direct carry overs.

Now non-fish eyed:

The production version should have a similar stance from this angle, but with slightly less pronounced rear wheel wells. I think it will still have that planted stance that isn't captured in the fish eyed spy pics.

Moving on to the side, note that even here the spy pics are fish eyed:

Attachment 503139

The side is easily the most bland part of the LFGh and the GS, but still a lot is kept from the concept. The roof line, belt line, side design lines and surfacing, trunk shape and overall proportions are all here. The only noticeable change is the toning down of the rocker and of course the smaller less incredible wheels. Essentially though as far as details and surfacing go, the concept is what we can expect the side of the production version to look like.

Next up is the front, again fish eyed in these pics:

Attachment 503135

A lot has been carried over. First the windshield and hood are seemingly direct carry overs, down to the shut lines. Check out how the hood and fender meet the A-pillar, again a direct carry over. The stance will be very similar if not identical save for the toned down wheel wells, and we can again see the similarities in the side of the car.

The biggest changes are headlights, foglights, and bumper. The headlights seem to be roughly the same size if not a bit bigger, but the lines under them are kept from the concept. Grill is toned down and separated but the general structure of everything is there, to the point that from this angle at a distance the two could be mistaken for each other.

In other words this is essentially the concept carried over with everything productionized. If you generally liked the concept, you should like the production version as well. I thought the concept was fantastic, which is why I'm excited by these pics, hopefully more of these details will be obvious with better pics. But the stance and overall effect is still here.
Old 08-16-11, 09:37 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The concept is badazz. The leaked pix? Meh. But it's the AWD with that awful wheel gap, and the car is slightly pointing upward, and it's white. So, this is about as BAD as the GS4 can look.

I definitely see potential.

The concept's kink in the rear door looks so much better integrated than the leaked picture in profile. It's gotta be the visual effect of the large wheels, the lack of wheel gap, and the slightly forward leaning profile. Sheesh, it makes all the difference in the world.

And the rear on the concept is just so clean and simple, yet almost breathtaking to me. I LOVED it on the concept, on the leaked photos though, it looks so vanilla.

Praying that more of the concept's rear and profile make it into the sportier versions (fingers crossed). I'd buy that concept car, no questions asked. LOL
Old 08-16-11, 09:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
2013 LEXUS GS: FRONT = HONDA ACCORD, REAR = HYUNDAI SONATA, SIDE = INFINITI G37

OVERALL = Bad Design!!!...........Hope FSport Version is better.
g[/IMG]

Originally Posted by 8SpdShift
I have literally read hundreds of replies about this car on websites from MotorTrend to AutoBlog to a dozen other anonymous automotive enthusiasts websites... and your comment is BY FAR the most intelligent, unbiased comment I've read. Kudos!

I cannot stand all of the blind hatred slash German Fanboyism slash extreme double standards that are imposed on Toyota/Lexus. If someone showed me a BMW 3-Series from a decade ago and a 2011 3-Series, I'd have a hard time finding many differences. Same for MOST of the rest of the BMW lineup and the same thing rings true for the Benz lineup. Heck, show me current BMW 3-Series, 5-Series, and 7-Series from the front (alone) and I'd have a hard time trying to convince someone that those were supposed to be three different cars! You can add Audi into that mix, as well. So why is it that when Lexus decides to copy the Germans and have some family similarities, all of a sudden Toyota/Lexus has committed the biggest travesty ever done in this world??? Where are the mobs with daggers and torches, crying foul at the Germans, for committing the same offenses?? When Lexus has similarities across the board (however minute or blatant), everyone wants the entire design teams at Toyota/Lexus to be beheaded. But, when the Germans do the same thing, all of a sudden "it's tasteful" ... "it's to be expected and I personally see nothing wrong with it" ... "it shows the amazing creativity, ingenuity, engineering, and craftsmanship of the Germans". It almost makes me sick to my stomach!

Toyota will NEVER be able to do anything right. People will always find a way to marginalize their efforts. Everyone cries Toyota's are too boring and for old people ... Lexus makes the LFA. Now, the car is too expensive so it can't be justified so it's a failure or it's 0.0000003 seconds slower than a (insert car here) so it fails! People say Lexus mainstream sedans are generic and dated. They look to German-inspired design themes ... now, Lexus are copycats or it won't hold a candle to the competition or even though the interior is a direct ripoff of a BMW, it's beautiful when it's inside a BMW but if it's a Lexus all of a sudden it's garbage. Toyota/Lexus just needs to make nothing but hybrids and let all of the whiners go and purchase all of the millions of cars that are supposedly better than the Toyota/Lexus model. Let's 600,000 90-year-olds, per year, be happy. A sale is a sale.

BTW, this is supposedly the (cough) "brand new" BMW 3-Series. Can anyone tell me if these aren't older photos of the current 5-Series??? See if you can tell which car is which...
Thanks for the compliments. I agree with A LOT of your sentiments, things I and others have stated.

Old 08-16-11, 09:50 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OH.....MY......LORD....

Please tell me this is NOT the production version of the new GS????

What happened??? I mean......WHAT THE @#$% HAPPENED???

Seriously, the production version looks like a Chinese knock-off of a Hyundai!!!

LMAO....WOW....I know Japan is going through rough times, but god geeeeez, I didn't think it would be this bad.

Lets all hope and pray the F version looks something closer....MUCH closer to the concept.

EPIC LEXUS FAIL!!!
Old 08-16-11, 09:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexIS007
OH.....MY......LORD....

Please tell me this is NOT the production version of the new GS????

What happened??? I mean......WHAT THE @#$% HAPPENED???

Seriously, the production version looks like a Chinese knock-off of a Hyundai!!!

LMAO....WOW....I know Japan is going through rough times, but god geeeeez, I didn't think it would be this bad.

Lets all hope and pray the F version looks something closer....MUCH closer to the concept.

EPIC LEXUS FAIL!!!
What does Japan going though rough times have to do with the design? You are referring to the earthquake that happened well after the design was done?

Exaggerate much?

Old 08-16-11, 09:56 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I, for one love the design and what it is shaping up to be. It's edgy yet still shares cues from its family as it should. If the Germans can do it (BMW, Audi) why can't Lexus. It creates continuity throughout the line up and true brand recognition. The grille as we've seen it is a little funky for lack of a better word, however I dig it. Just as I loved Audi's transition to the big mouth single frame grille that they are now known for. It's what evolution is all about. I patiently await Thursday's unveiling and would love to see this ca in darker hues. I feel the execution of this design would be better served in a darker color as opposed to the silver that we've been seeing.
Old 08-16-11, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
based on the leaked pics, i'm underwhelmed. if lexus wants me to change my 3GS to 4GS, they are gonna have to do a better job. nothing about the exterior styling screams "i want that now!" imho. maybe if aftermarket jdm manufacturers come out with a really awesome kit that makes the 4GS look real good.... but i reserve the right to change my comments after i've seen the pebble beach high res pics and see the 4GS up close and personal.
Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
especially if they want to bring some of the german crowd on their side.
lol i am quoting you two current 3gs owners. and to be honest i have never been overwhelmed with the 3gs myself compared to my 2gs

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
This! I still like a nicely mod'd 2nd gen GS, saw one just the other day. Still unique, still a looker.
THIS. i was talking to my good friend with a 2gs (modded), to date, i still think the 2gs is the best looking gs ever. 3gs is a step down, and i can't say about the 4gs yet (wait till thurs)

Originally Posted by Trexus
All the previous generation GS's had the slits vertical. Why did Lexus make the slits horizontal? Lexus also shouldn't have remove the quad headlights as well...
to me vertical slats have always looked ugly and horrible on the gs. my gs400, changed to jp. my gs350, changed to lx mode. to me it's no brainer. now i am not saying the grille looks good on the 4gs though, the horizontal slats, meh...

I'm also here to kill all this talk of "OMG it looks like a CT". Some people seemingly love to fap to death when the Germans make their vehicles different sizes, one look and now Lexus shares a family resemblance and its "identical"? REALLY? That nasty double standard is something. Then when Lexus makes the cars look different the argument is "OMG Lexus cars look different, they need to look similar"

This is not 1998. Everyone today makes good looking cars or cars with style. The GS in 1998 was one of 3, the E/5. In 2012 everyone makes a stylish car. What did you expect? Did you really expect to be blown away? So far I do wish it looked, I dunno, "better" or more fluid/futuristic than the traditional 3 box (losing its current fastback shape and 2GS fastback shape) but I'll wait to see in person.
well just to be fair now, mike. if you keep on going out and blame all bmw look the same, all audi look the same, and all acura look the same, i guess others can just say the same about the 4gs and the ct.

and regarding 1998, sorry but i just don't think the attitude should ever be "1998 will never happen again". to me that's like sand bagging for anything to come ahead. the aim should always be higher. i agree that it's hard to beat what lexus did on the 2gs in 1998, but at the same time i don't think lexus is impossible to do it again, at least the lexus that i have in mind.
Old 08-16-11, 10:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
lol i am quoting you two current 3gs owners. and to be honest i have never been overwhelmed with the 3gs myself compared to my 2gs

THIS. i was talking to my good friend with a 2gs (modded), to date, i still think the 2gs is the best looking gs ever. 3gs is a step down, and i can't say about the 4gs yet (wait till thurs)

to me vertical slats have always looked ugly and horrible on the gs. my gs400, changed to jp. my gs350, changed to lx mode. to me it's no brainer. now i am not saying the grille looks good on the 4gs though, the horizontal slats, meh...

well just to be fair now, mike. if you keep on going out and blame all bmw look the same, all audi look the same, and all acura look the same, i guess others can just say the same about the 4gs and the ct.

and regarding 1998, sorry but i just don't think the attitude should ever be "1998 will never happen again". to me that's like sand bagging for anything to come ahead. the aim should always be higher. i agree that it's hard to beat what lexus did on the 2gs in 1998, but at the same time i don't think lexus is impossible to do it again, at least the lexus that i have in mind.
Well first I also am a 2/3GS owner who loves a modded 2GS over a 3GS. Though I do think the 3GS has aged much better over time. I fell in love with the 2GS looks stock, right away, that never happened with the 3GS. We still bought it.

My point is people fap off to Germans looking identical then crap on Lexus for looking different. Then when Lexus in this case tries to look similar, they still crap on Lexus for looking similar.

So which one is it? Seems to me its just an opportunity to crap on Lexus no matter what they do.

To me there isn't a right way. I'm fine with the German make everything look the same if it looks good. I like the current 7/5/3 and the A4/5/6/7 etc even if they all look the same. They look fine to me.

Contrarily I like the Lexus, Jaguar way of making the cars share cues without looking like imitations of one another. I think they mostly all look good.

My 1998 comment is in regards to design. Look outside a Panamera or Quattroporte all cars kind of look the same, they copy they look similar (sedans). Not sure why people thought Lexus was going to build some Italian looking car.

I really never understood all the critics of Lexus design. They mostly age very well and while some are safe/bland, others are edgy and exciting and pretty damn timeless. The IS still looks fresh IMO to this day.

Finally I said it before, I had no major issues with Lexus vehicles sharing cues looking different without looking like copies of one another. Lexus now did this to the GS and the interior lost some Japanese flavor for German cues.

I fear they are listening too much to people who would never buy any Lexus no matter what they do instead of pleasing people like us that purchase Lexus vehicles.

Old 08-16-11, 10:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

As for the tailights I'm here to kill the ridiculous Sonata noise. Listen, Hyundai copies, that is their M.O, the tailights are clearly Lexus inspired. I remember all the fuss when Lexus started having their tailights stick out from the bodywork. Lexus has done this for YEARS now. Hyundai stole it and now a new Lexus comes and it looks like a Hyundai? Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Its simply an EVOLUTION of Lexus lights. The light clearly is similar to the LS/CT and LFA.
I don't think people are complaining much about the light sticking out as they are about the similarities in the lines.

It's most noticeable especially at first glance on paper. I personally rather have the concept tails as it looks more unique, but this is okay with me as I like the Sonata's rear end anyways.
Old 08-16-11, 10:27 PM
LexFather

The GS tails followed the concepts. They have LED tubes which the Sonata won't ever have. The GS tails seem to include yellow while the Sonata does not. The GS tails follow the CT and LFA.

I'm sure in person we won't think what people are saying. I saw the lights and thought concept, not Sonata. Has anyone seen a new Sonata, the lights curve around the side and stick out like a Lexus and seem to be more of a bubble.

Geezus, two cars are white with red tails and they look the same!

Old 08-16-11, 10:29 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Mother of God....! Doesn't matter how this thing drives... with that looks...

Last edited by vladbph; 08-16-11 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-16-11, 10:29 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What does Japan going though rough times have to do with the design? You are referring to the earthquake that happened well after the design was done?

Exaggerate much?
No, I was referring to quality of car designs Japan has been dumping out the past 7yrs "pre-earthquake."

I am glad I got into an IS350 when I did....because I can almost guarantee that the 3rd Gen IS will have those Accord-like headlights that's plaguing all new Lexus cars.

Be honest, does this really look like a GS???....or an evolution of a GS??? Lexus should have updated the GS's split headlights just like Mercedes did with the E-Class to pay homage to the model's signature mark.

Well, at least we all know where the extra money went in the design department at Lexus (cough...cough...LFA).

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)