GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 10:06 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS

What other option would Lexus have?

We have what, 3 weeks or so before they reveal it to the world?!
2 options I'd like the new GS to have: dual RSES on the head rests and panoramic sunroof like the cool one in the new Yaris or even the less-cool one in the ES for that matter. The Germans have them, so why not the GS?
Old 07-27-11, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i definitely hope the rses is something like the gx. i never like the lx / ls kind of rses, watch a movie on that and it's not the best thing for your neck
Old 07-27-11, 11:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

A few things:

1.) The interior is not a direct copy of BMW. It has a European influence to it yes. After looking at it closely, the interior has A LOT of styling cues from the CT and LFA. Also due to the screen placement and center console arrangement, the dash pretty much *had* to be designed like that. Overall, the sense I get from the dash is European influenced, but done in a Japanese style. The interior has grown on me very fast.

2.) The gauges are fancier than I first thought. I was initially disappointed when I first saw them, but Lexus isn't showing us the full capabilities of the gauges so to speak yet. The GS hybrid for example has color LCD gauges similar to the CT.

3.) GS hybrid is definitely coming to Europe.

4.) With no regular V8 model anymore, the GS hybrid HAS to be a knockout product. Handling, acceleration, shifting, braking, emissions, and fuel economy ALL have to be better than the current GS450h. The GS hybrid needs to be a strong alternative to a V8 model in order for not selling a regular V8 model to make sense.

5.) GS F is an absolute must, to add a halo model to the whole GS line, and especially due to no regular V8 model. Also, this is based on the journalist comments from the preview drives that the chassis and suspension can handle much more power.

6.) The more I see of the car, the more I like it! I think this is going to be a smash hit for Lexus.

7.) Very surprising that there will be a diesel model for Europe. That means diesel *and* hybrid models in Europe, on top of regular gas models. If they add a GS F as well, it will be a very appealing lineup, and sales could grow a lot in Europe.

8.) Great job by Lexus letting most major auto publications drive the new GS, and very clever keeping it under camo for all the preview drives. It teases people and creates buzz, but still most things are kept under wraps.

9.) Just based on how good the 4GS seems to be, I think all the next-gen Lexus products will be absolute knockouts. I have high expectations now for the next-gen IS, ES, and most definitely the LS. I think the LS will be a big leap forward in many ways, as it should be.

10.) Loving the new headrest design. I think it may possibly be optional "ultra luxury" headrests, or headrests that come on optional seats. Looks like there will be 2 types of seats on the new GS, base seats and more adjustable seats.

11.) Those complaining about the "look" of the rear seat buttons, they look way more modern than the rear seat buttons on the LS. Those actually look like they are from the 90s.

Originally Posted by emad2007

Wow .

LS-style rear seat controls, huge adjustments available for the front passenger seat, front passenger seat has side buttons that rear passenger can use to move the seat forward. Trunk looks very spacious, and great packaging in the trunk.

The interior is just a BIG BIG improvement over the 3GS, and we haven't even seen the full interior yet!

Originally Posted by rominl
still can't tell much about rear cabin space

Actually, it's quite clear there is an improvement in rear cabin space. Rear headroom is clearly improved, we also know thigh and shoulder room is improved due to the wider rear track. Finally, it seems legroom is slightly improved as well.
Old 07-28-11, 12:09 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hot damn I love saddle leather.
Old 07-28-11, 12:12 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Lexus needs to work on trunk hinges.
Old 07-28-11, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Actually, it's quite clear there is an improvement in rear cabin space. Rear headroom is clearly improved, we also know thigh and shoulder room is improved due to the wider rear track. Finally, it seems legroom is slightly improved as well.
sorry but i can't. i owned the gs400 and now the gs350, i know very well how the spacing is. from this picture it's pretty hard to say it, we don't even know how tall the guy is. if he's 5'7", big problem. if he's 6'4", that's very positive. i have seen my dad sitting in the back of my gs350 and depending on his seating position and the front seat position, things can look so different.

just knowing the car has increased in dimensions here and there doesn't mean much. usable space is the key. looking at pure numbers the 3gs rear rooms aren't that bad compared to 5 and e, but in reality, i still remember my parent getting in the back and they asked why i sold my gs400.

i am not knocking on the space (why would i, it looks good so far), but i am just saying i can't determine from all these pics yet. the trunk on the other hand is very clear with the look and the sample luggage, which is relatively standard in size
Old 07-28-11, 12:47 AM
Augs300
Rookie

^ Rear side blinds??

^ LS like driver-monitoring system

^ automatic electric parking brake system as seen in LS again.

Last edited by Augs300; 07-28-11 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 01:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Saying the buttons look more modern than the LS isn't saying much if it still look 90s. The rear controls will most likely be stored away most of the time anyways.
Old 07-28-11, 01:51 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This car makes the current gen of Lexi (Mainy the 2IS, 3GS, and ES) look like crap (OK, maybe not crap ... but the 4GS is up in a whole new level!)

Good job Lexus Steppin' it UUUUUUPP!!!!
Old 07-28-11, 07:11 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

sorry but i can't. i owned the gs400 and now the gs350, i know very well how the spacing is. from this picture it's pretty hard to say it, we don't even know how tall the guy is. if he's 5'7", big problem. if he's 6'4", that's very positive. i have seen my dad sitting in the back of my gs350 and depending on his seating position and the front seat position, things can look so different.

just knowing the car has increased in dimensions here and there doesn't mean much. usable space is the key. looking at pure numbers the 3gs rear rooms aren't that bad compared to 5 and e, but in reality, i still remember my parent getting in the back and they asked why i sold my gs400.

i am not knocking on the space (why would i, it looks good so far), but i am just saying i can't determine from all these pics yet. the trunk on the other hand is very clear with the look and the sample luggage, which is relatively standard in size

I know you can't really tell from the photos, but the guy doesn't look more than 5'10" to me. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 07-28-11, 07:45 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whoster
hot damn I love saddle leather.
Heck yeah!

Would be a tough choice for me between that and the red though.
Old 07-28-11, 08:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Well said. Everyone thought the 3rd gen GS was larger than the 2nd Gen GS when pictures of the car surfaced. In reality the 3rd gen is a bit tighter and cramped in certain areas (mainly headroom and trunk space). These were my biggest gripes about my GS 350 when I had it. With my IS F, the trunk space is much better and headroom overall much better (thanks to the lower seat cushion height in the front and rear).

The internet picture experts are surfacing again. LOL
Old 07-28-11, 08:20 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Any chance AWD will be included in the hybrid like the LS
Or the F to be more of an Audi attacker?
Old 07-28-11, 08:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Do you realize the guy is not sitting straight in the seat and his head is tilted to look at the camera? Rear headroom looks to be pretty tight...very similar to 3rd Gen GS. Look how close his head is to the headliner. Also we don't know if that front seat pushed up or if the guy has a long torso and short legs to really qualify the increased space.
Old 07-28-11, 08:28 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love everything I have read about the suspension/handeling. And I love the much improved interior. Also a great addition is the new interior color pallette. I will go with the red interior, with a black, white, silver or gray exterior. However, I have always believed that a mid-size sport sedan should offer a V8. All three of my current sport sedans are powered by torquey V8's. This is a huge disappointment to me, but I assume that Lexus has one heck of a hybrid in store for us, offering even better performance numbers than the current 2011 GS hybrid. I have never been into hybrids, and I might find it more tempthing to wait for the GSF, but this time around, I may consider it if it ofers more speed. I am a bit surprised that they are carrying over the same powertrains from the third gen. just like they did back in from the second gen. It seems like Lexus would have had a great case for atleast adding a turbo/supercharger to the current V6. Also, I would love to have seen an 8-speed tranny make it into the lineup as well. With that being said, I am anxiously waiting for the full reveil.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)