GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 10:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
It's a shame they put out the 3GS, knowing it was inferior.
uhm, he just says car was engineered to feel best at 110mph, which is pretty much where cops will pull you over anywhere other than autobahn.
Old 07-22-11, 10:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
where?

p.s. what about those who said it wont weight as little? -400lbs on F10 baby.
Lots of critics proven completely wrong by the facts here.

Check out this picture:

Bottom right corner you can see the 3-zone option.
Old 07-22-11, 10:44 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

can you expand the map onto the other screen?
Old 07-22-11, 10:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

thx... display/maps look high res too.

only thing bad that pops up is... where is Lexus version of entune?

Old 07-22-11, 10:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Also, if something is my opinion, and you state that it is wrong, that is the true definition of bigotry. My opinion is not fact; there is no wrong or right. It's my opinion.
An opinion can be proven wrong by fact, even though an opinion itself is not fact. Your "opinion" about the 4GS front overhang was proven wrong for example. This is indeed a fact.

thx... display/maps look high res too.

only thing bad that pops up is... where is Lexus version of entune?
Yes, you have to wonder where is it? It looks like the GS won't have Entune, at least not at launch. Let's see if Lexus gets the system or not. Lexus needs an Entune-like system, or at the very least an updated system compared to what they current have in terms of the UI and functionality.
Old 07-22-11, 10:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

no, He said that past 110mph, the frame feels shaky, the doors shake, etc etc, and just isn't fun to drive.
In contrast, the merc is very stable to drive, even at 150mph, and he pantomimes driving like a butler.
So, they did take the cars at very high speeds, and definitely on the autobahn.
i think he was just proving the point of how much better new GS is by exaggerating about the old car... I dont think people complained about frame shaking at high speed, right? thats pretty silly.

heck, i went through some reviews from 3GS and they were pretty positive about the handling, back in the day it was released... insideline handling comments were very nice for instance, while for F10 they are... not.

In fact i drove mine to over 130 MPH for a while and it felt like... going too fast :-).

But my doors didnt shake and car did not lose a bumper or anything, lol.

but you know mike is right, some people just want to see bad things, and they are right in pointing out things we discussed before and pointed out as needed improvements - they were all carried out to the letter and more.
Old 07-22-11, 11:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
An opinion can be proven wrong by fact, even though an opinion itself is not fact. Your "opinion" about the 4GS front overhang was proven wrong for example. This is indeed a fact.
let's not nit pick here.
my opinion is that large overhangs are ugly.
an opinion is what a person thinks.

What I made was a false claim, based on the overhang of the LF-gh auto show prototype. Evidently, they modified the bumpers to reduce overhang by a huge 0.4 inches.

i think he was just proving the point of how much better new GS is by exaggerating about the old car... I dont think people complained about frame shaking at high speed, right? thats pretty silly.

In fact i drove mine to over 130 MPH for a while and it felt like... going too fast :-).

But my doors didnt shake and car did not lose a bumper or anything, lol.
The 3GS steering is loose, and you actually do feel like you have to grip the wheel tighter at faster speed.
I know this because I own the 3GS, as 1sicklex would not like to believe.
That's why I can relate to what Ben Mitchell said.

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-22-11 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 11:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

let's not nit pick here.
my opinion is that large overhangs are ugly.
an opinion is what a person thinks.

What I made was a false claim, based on the overhang of the LF-gh auto show prototype. Evidently, they modified the bumpers to reduce overhang.
well i did show these prototype pics and was shut down as "different angle"

:-)

but it doesnt really matter... i am glad reviewers pretty much loved the car.

too bad they didnt tell us more... we will see what comes out of europe these days.
Old 07-22-11, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

first of all, anything personal, please take it to pm. i also do not want to see any further baiting in this thread. actions will be taken.

i dont remember "old" tranny having paddle shifting or throttle blips... it is probably new transmission, with 6 speed.

I could care less how many speeds it have, i care how it performs - MPG and performance numbers.

luckily, with 450+ lbs from 535i, it should perform quite well!

I dont remember reading better preview of an Lexus vehicle...ever.
it COULD be, but you realize paddle shifting and throttle blips, they are more about computer controls than the tranny itself right? the current 6 speed already have sport shift, and people have put paddle shift from IS on the 3gs. i promise you those people didn't touch any part of the tranny. i think you need to distinguish better between what's part and what's not part of tranny

more gears means lower rpm which means smoother and quieter and also better mpg. ls460 is a proof of that.

Originally Posted by J.P.
15.8 is a huge upgrade
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Does anyone know for sure if this car will have a V6 Hybrid option or a V8 hybrid option? I could have sworn it would be a V8 hybrid but the articles point to a V6 hybrid. How will this car compete with the 550 Germans if there is no V8 offered at all?
the current GS already has over 15 cuft of trunk space.

I dunno how they eeked it out. but it has 15.

www.lexus.com/gs
current gs has 15.2? that's very new. for sure before 09 it all says 12.7. i don't think i recall seeing that big of an improvement on the 2010 trunk which i have seen before. in any case, it tells me 2 things. if 2010 is really 15.2, then that means lexus had done a **** poor job on 06-09, "hiding" away more than 2 cuft. second, it means number only tells half the story. the shape of the 3gs trunk still make it a pretty useless application
Old 07-22-11, 11:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i promise you those people didn't touch any part of the tranny.
source? i think they will improve tranny for sure.. there is no other way to improve MPG at all. it can not automagically be done in any other way.

p.a. 3GS did have some classic good luxury sports interior...
Old 07-23-11, 12:36 AM
Jimmy06AWD
Rookie

^ Too much black plastic everywhere in the 3GS. Looks so cheap. The only thing nice in there was the metal dials. This new one is much improved, though its very BMW.
Old 07-23-11, 12:58 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I casually checked Lexus Enthusiast today and my jaw dropped at the unexpected influx of 4GS information and images! Everything sounds great so far, not perfect judging from some of the comments in the previews but there's still time to work out the kinks to deliver a car truly worthy of the Lexus badge.

Some thoughts:

1. The review of the new handling dynamic handling of the GS sounds frickin' awesome. As much as Lexus said that the new GS would have improved driving dynamimcs, as much as I should have believed they were capable after releasing the LFA, I still doubted they could deliver on the saloon side of things. But now it seems they have delivered. Now those who claim that Lexus are boring appliances will have one less thing to whine about (maybe until the whole Lexus lineup is renewed)!

One thing I kept on thinking about was how Lexus could appease both their, let's say, less "enthusiast" customers who love the comfort of their Lexus and those who seek a sportier drive? It's difficult to have both, but I think with the new "Lexus Drive Mode Select" they can appease both sides. It seems from the previews that the handling is in general much more improved.

2. As we've seen from glimpses of the LF-Gh's interior: the interior is fantastic. All the haters can say it looks dated, or it looks like a copy of the 5-series interior, but as they say "Haters gon' hate." This new brand of Lexus interior is admittedly European inspired, but this all started with the interior of the CT. I love almost everything about the interior, except the steering wheel, which is also very CT-like. Among the "corporate steering wheels" among luxury marquees, the new Lexus wheel to me is too fat and almost out of place within the subtle curves of the new Lexus interiors. Other than that, I'm amazed and so glad that the LF-Gh interior is exactly what we're going to get with the 4GS!

The navigation screen is particularly striking. I was one of those doubters of the 12" navigation screen rumors, but if that is really one screen it truly looks like it's a 12" screen measured diagonally (and BTW do you guys think it's one single screen because from this image it could be two screens)

3. More ingenious packing leading to more room inside, this fixes one of the biggest complaints about the 3GS. But the question is, is it enough?

4. I also don't see any problems with using an improved version of the old engines. It seems to be an industry-wide practice when introducing a new generation (as someone before explained), but one can lament that Lexus could have taken a more active stance and a huge step by introducing all new engines. But like someone else said, there needs to be an incentive later on in the generation cycle.

5. I'll reserve my thoughts on the exterior until the full reveal, but I'll just say that I love the exhaust tips.
Old 07-23-11, 01:37 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

It is a little crazy to me to like the current interior more. As much as I love its simplicity, the current breed of German cars have taken interiors to another level and this new interior IMO matches that level and perhaps even more. To me it looks the best out of its competitors, bar the A6. It's not a direct copy of the Germans, it's inspired by it. I see cues of the LFA interior as well, with the CT being the first to have this new brand of Lexus interiors.
Old 07-23-11, 02:23 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

K here is my opinion, The car on the outside looks very nice, Gauges like current ES ( NO GOOD), Steering wheel some like the new CT HS (NO GOOD), Leather shift **** ARE U KIDDING ME ( Its a GS not an CT). Overall it looks a lot like the NEW BMW (which is one of they competitors) I am not a fan of it. By outside looks I would buy it, but the inside of it is very like every other new lexus. There is nothing GS (55k) Worth in it ATM.
Old 07-23-11, 05:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Dunnojack, 1sicklex - you guys both need to take the personal comments to pm please. If I have to ask again I will ask you to exit this thread.... having to continue to post that request here is getting more than repetitive....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post5849275
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post6507937
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post6490852
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post6508452

Dunnojack, you have clearly made your point about your opinion on the 4gs overhang. Negative or contrary comments are absolutely fine when stated maturely, constructively and politely. Howver, stating it over and over again turns a personal opinion into clear baiting and trolling. Move on from that topic please.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-23-11 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)