GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 07:50 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was a Honda Accord for a sec...
Old 06-18-11, 02:33 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone see this before?

Old 06-18-11, 02:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Compass
For real. I get a strong Acura vibe from the front. Not doing anything for me.

But then, it took me years to warm to the 3GS and now I love it.
Those wedge shaped headlamps are just another variant of the headlight shape on every Japanese car. The 3GS always had distinctive headlights.

The rear of the 4GS looks a very Acura TSX like to me.

I see nothing original in the design in this photoshop.

Lexus is about to enter a phase that will remind us of Infiniti in the late 90s - running out of ideas, running epic refresh cycles, and bleeding market share like a sieve.
Old 06-18-11, 02:44 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The specs on the concept show the wheelbase is the same but it got taller, wider, longer.
I'm hoping that's because the concept was a 3GS with a new body on it. If the 4GS has the same specs, then it will probably be a 3GS with a new body on it.

Bigger car with same wheelbase is bad news.
Old 06-18-11, 04:40 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I'm hoping that's because the concept was a 3GS with a new body on it. If the 4GS has the same specs, then it will probably be a 3GS with a new body on it.

Bigger car with same wheelbase is bad news.
I believe the wheelbase is physically wider... Not just the body.

When they were doing testing, the spy photos showed the stock wheels very flush - almost sticking out of the fenders.
Old 06-18-11, 10:01 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan

When they were doing testing, the spy photos showed the stock wheels very flush - almost sticking out of the fenders.
I was referring to length not width. Wheelbase is usually measured in terms of width.

If you have longer overhangs, the car is less fun to drive. Think 1990s GM cars with their massive overhangs, or the third generation Taurus.

On a performance car, the wheels should be as close to the corners as possible.
Old 06-18-11, 11:25 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

I was referring to length not width. Wheelbase is usually measured in terms of width.

If you have longer overhangs, the car is less fun to drive. Think 1990s GM cars with their massive overhangs, or the third generation Taurus.

Yeah I know... I thought you were talking about the width - which is what I was refering too. You said "Bigger car with same wheelbase is bad news"

I was saying the wheelbase is widened from the 3GS
Old 06-19-11, 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok i had to look it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelbase

i have always believed that wheel base is the length between front and rear wheels. the width, that's called track, right? from most of the stuff i have read, they always talk about longer wheel base (for example ls460l is a long wheelbase car, about 5 inches longer than ls460) and wider track (for example the e90 m3 has a bit wider track than the e92 m3)

or am i missing something?
Old 06-19-11, 10:01 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by rominl
ok i had to look it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelbase

i have always believed that wheel base is the length between front and rear wheels. the width, that's called track, right? from most of the stuff i have read, they always talk about longer wheel base (for example ls460l is a long wheelbase car, about 5 inches longer than ls460) and wider track (for example the e90 m3 has a bit wider track than the e92 m3)

or am i missing something?
Ok, yeah... I meant the track is physically wider.... So even though the car got wider/taller/bigger... It's riding on a wider frame. But I hope the overhangs don't grow by much ...

Last edited by GiantsFan; 06-19-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-19-11, 02:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Ok, yeah... I meant the track is physically wider.... So even though the car got wider/taller/bigger... It's riding on a wider frame. But I hope the overhangs don't grow by much ...
Clearly any increase in length will go directly to increase in overhang if wheelbase doesn't change.

I've got to believe the wheelbase will be different.

The only times I have seen a car manufacturer increase the length of a car without increasing the wheelbase, is when they are really re-launching the same car with different bodywork and interior.

e.g. Jaguar's XJ40 (XJ from 1989-1997), and X300 (XJ from 1997-2003) had completely different bodywork, the X300 was also longer, but the wheelbase was the same. And anyone who looked beneath the covers could tell that this was essentially the same chassis but with new engines, transmissions, bodywork and interior.

If this is what Lexus is doing, then it will be a long winter for the brand, as it was for Jaguar.
Old 06-20-11, 08:06 AM
Lexzam
Driver

If Lexus indeed increases the overhang, it could be to increase the trunk size, currently handicapped compared to competition, and to improve the shape of the trunk.
Old 06-22-11, 11:20 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wait, so people now are criticizing the 4GS based on a photoshopped picture of the LF-Gh concept?

I think at this point any comments or criticisms hold very little weight as we have not seen the actual production 4GS yet.
Old 06-23-11, 07:57 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wait, so people now are criticizing the 4GS based on a photoshopped picture of the LF-Gh concept?

I think at this point any comments or criticisms hold very little weight as we have not seen the actual production 4GS yet.
Wait, did it take you 65 pages of posts to realize this? Of course there is little weight in this...but many of us find this fodder to be of great interest and entertainment.

Are there millions of pages dedicated to sports drafts season standings before they happen? Yes! Why? Because it is interesting and entertaining. Same concept.

Are there right and wrong in any of these posts? No...just some that are more right and some more wrong depending on your opinion...hope...and ultimately what the production gods produce.

I for one love the banter...we share a common interest...and all find it entertaining....65 pages of posts tells me a few others agree.

Meaning no disrespect, but just trying to put some perspective on this.
Old 06-23-11, 09:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MelYW
Wait, did it take you 65 pages of posts to realize this? Of course there is little weight in this...but many of us find this fodder to be of great interest and entertainment.

Are there millions of pages dedicated to sports drafts season standings before they happen? Yes! Why? Because it is interesting and entertaining. Same concept.

Are there right and wrong in any of these posts? No...just some that are more right and some more wrong depending on your opinion...hope...and ultimately what the production gods produce.

I for one love the banter...we share a common interest...and all find it entertaining....65 pages of posts tells me a few others agree.

Meaning no disrespect, but just trying to put some perspective on this.
Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about this thread as a whole. I was specifically talking about the last few pages where people are criticizing the 4GS based on photoshopped pics.

That's like criticizing a sports team for drafting a specific player before they actually draft anyone .

Nothing wrong with speculation and discussion of the 4GS, I just don't understand people who take it too far and who are criticizing the 4GS based on photoshopped pics that are nothing more than guesses. Some people who seemingly now have no interest in buying the 4GS even though the production model hasn't even been unveiled yet .
Old 06-24-11, 08:12 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about this thread as a whole. I was specifically talking about the last few pages where people are criticizing the 4GS based on photoshopped pics.

That's like criticizing a sports team for drafting a specific player before they actually draft anyone .

Nothing wrong with speculation and discussion of the 4GS, I just don't understand people who take it too far and who are criticizing the 4GS based on photoshopped pics that are nothing more than guesses. Some people who seemingly now have no interest in buying the 4GS even though the production model hasn't even been unveiled yet .
Ha ha apparently you dont live in MN where the Timberwolves are criticized before making their move...due mainly to so many boneheaded decisions in the past.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)