GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Totaled!!!! Some people SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 01:22 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totaled!!!! Some people SUCK!

Well, it's happened! The car that took me almost a year to find has been totaled - and the kicker, I wasn't even driving it. I took it to the car wash, like I do almost every day, only this time I let the attendant pull it around after vacuuming the inside. As he pulled up behind another Lexus (LX 570), his foot slipped off the break and smashed the gas all the way to the floor while in drive. I couldn't figure out how that was possible, but I guess he was trying to be more efficient at his job by stopping, exiting and throwing the gear shifter into park all at the same time.

It's get's worse! This happened on Dec 26th, yes, the day after Christmas. I don't normally allow other people to drive my car, but I just got WeatherTech floor mats for Christmas and figured I'd have the floor vacuumed, I was actually shocked they were even open, but they were. The car was towed to the body shop on Dec 27th (car was not drive-able). I also got a Viper Remote Start for Christmas, but I'll have to return that as well... Anyway, I'm still dealing with this, the body shop told me back on Jan 3rd that the car was probably a total loss, but to his shock, the insurance company wanted to fix it. So, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting only to hear yesterday (Feb 16th) that the Insurance company, after hearing from the body shop that there was more damage internally, will now total my car. I have been in a rental this whole time, but the rental company (Enterprise) called me 5 days ago to tell me the insurance company canceled their/my reservation for the car on Jan 31st, which means I had to pay the difference up to now. I reached out to them and got that resolved, but they would only extend my rental till today (Feb 17th). I told them how is that possible, their client totaled my car and now I have no way to get around, so I should be responsible for the rental - and they haven't even settled with me yet!!

I guess I'm using this forum to rant a little cause I'm frustrated, but also in the hopes others have more experience with this sort of thing? Advice from the community would be appreciated. I haven't involved my insurance company cause I don't want my rates to go up, I did speak with them, but didn't make a claim. The car wash that wrecked my car (owner) has been great, told me anything I need let him know. Unfortunately, he left for India a month ago and won't be back for 4 months. The insurance company called me last Monday to make me two offers, one involved me keeping the car, and the other would allow them to keep it. $13,200 if I kept it and $15,500 if they kept it. I bought the car with 48K miles 3 years ago, I put exactly 20K miles on it in that 3 years (68K when wrecked). I did a search for cars within that mileage range, and I'm coming up with results in the $18.5 to $20K range. I sent those to them for review and they've asked me to find more examples, preferably in my color, which I told them was difficult to find. Matador Red Mica (3 stage paint).

I guess my question is, if they're willing to give me what I think the car is worth, ($19K), do I just leave the lawyer route alone, even though I know it will probably take me months to find a new car (I'm very picky)?? I will have to spring for the rental - I mean at what point are they still liable for me not having a car??? Obviously, paying for a rental until I find a car is probably out of the picture, but canceling the rental now while my car was still in the shop, and before they gave me an offer is not acceptable to me. What pisses me off even more is that the body shop said this was a total loss back on Jan 3rd, but the Insurance company didn't listen, now almost 2 months later, they want to total it and then just cancel my rental and leave me high and dry. I was thinking, if our negotiations go well and I get the value/settlement I want, do I then start the conversation with them about rental? I was just sitting here thinking, lets get the value of the car out of the way, then I could say now that we have that done, what are you going to give me to get a rental car until I can find and buy a new one?? Just a thought, thanks in advance for anyone who has insight to how or what I should do to get the best outcome!!

On a side note, yes I agree with most of what I expect you all to say - those pictures don't look like a total loss - I too was shocked!! Lexus' aren't cheap - but I'm not telling you all what you don't already know!! :-) I'm just glad I had my winter wheels on; now I can sell the ones I have on my car in my signature picture, or put them on a new Lexus.. :-) Decisions decisions!!

Totaled!!!! Some people SUCK!-car_1.jpg

Totaled!!!! Some people SUCK!-car_2.jpg
Old 02-17-17, 03:16 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont understand how its only a 2k difference between keeping it and letting it go?

if i was in your shoes i would keep the car take the money then put the car up for sale. hell, you have 13k to fix the darn thing im sure it could be done under 5k.
Old 02-17-17, 03:48 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

your rates don't go up because you were not driving the car, it is a not at fault accident.

If I were you I would have been hashing this out with my own insurance, this is why you pay for insurance, your insurance provider looks out for your interests, his insurance company will not and you will get screwed.
Old 02-17-17, 04:57 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
i dont understand how its only a 2k difference between keeping it and letting it go?

if i was in your shoes i would keep the car take the money then put the car up for sale. hell, you have 13k to fix the darn thing im sure it could be done under 5k.
13K won't fix it, that's why the body shop told them to "total it" back in early Jan. The car doesn't have a full frame, it's called a uni-body, and the kid driving my car didn't hit the car in front of him squarely, it was on an angle, so there was possible alignment issues and the collision was with such force that it actually buckled the roof in both corners where the pillars meet at the top of the windshield. I can tell you this, the estimate to fix the car before they took it apart and found internal damage was well over 10K.

Originally Posted by mjeds
your rates don't go up because you were not driving the car, it is a not at fault accident.

If I were you I would have been hashing this out with my own insurance, this is why you pay for insurance, your insurance provider looks out for your interests, his insurance company will not and you will get screwed.
Well, I'm being told something different. I called and talked to Liberty Mutual, they tell me if I make a claim with them, then my premiums will go up. However, I do understand what you're saying and I was under the same assumption, this is not something I caused and therefore my rates shouldn't go up, but I was told different. Maybe I'll call them again and get a second opinion, it's possible the person I talked to was just an idiot, or possibly didn't know. It's worth a shot.
Old 02-17-17, 05:50 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ur insurance should not go up because you are not at fault. Ask ur insurance and make sure you say the other insurance company is already trying to settle with you. This tells your insurance company that you are not liable.
Old 02-17-17, 11:19 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have the car wash place pay your rental and go after them in court, regardless of how nice they are to you.
Old 02-18-17, 10:28 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Don't keep the car. Walk away, after you beat them up on the price. I went through the same thing 3 yrs ago. I just kept sending them comps to support my price and they eventually folded.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-17, 12:30 PM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

Go with your insurance company. That's why you brought insurance. If they increase premium, change to someone else.
Old 02-18-17, 06:16 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

If the attendant was driving it when it was wrecked, should his company not be responsible? I don't understand why you had to go through your insurance, this is on the shop you went too. They have insurance for this kind of thing and you have a case.
Old 02-18-17, 07:00 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by aachowhan
If the attendant was driving it when it was wrecked, should his company not be responsible? I don't understand why you had to go through your insurance, this is on the shop you went too. They have insurance for this kind of thing and you have a case.
the job of your insurance company it to take care of you as their customer, then your insurance company goes after the other guy and his company for reimbursement.

why would the other guys insurance company want to do anything for you, you are not their customer, their goal is to bend you over and get away with paying less, your insurance companies job is to PROTECT YOU, they don't care about paying less in a situation where fault is obvious because they will get reimbursed.

it is always better to use your insurance to handle your end of things, and then let their million dollar attorney's hash it out with the other guy, this is why you are paying them, to handle the issue for you.

----
Old 02-18-17, 10:05 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aachowhan
I haven't gone through my insurance company. I didn't want my rates to go up. With that said, I did reach out to them again to get a second opinion and as long as they don't pay more than $1000, my premiums do not go up.

Originally Posted by mjeds
the job of your insurance company it to take care of you as their customer, then your insurance company goes after the other guy and his company for reimbursement.

why would the other guys insurance company want to do anything for you, you are not their customer, their goal is to bend you over and get away with paying less, your insurance companies job is to PROTECT YOU, they don't care about paying less in a situation where fault is obvious because they will get reimbursed.

it is always better to use your insurance to handle your end of things, and then let their million dollar attorney's hash it out with the other guy, this is why you are paying them, to handle the issue for you.

----
Yes, I agree with you, if I'm paying them, then I'd expect them to protect me. After speaking with someone more competent today, I'm going to hold off till I receive a second settlement offer on Monday, if that doesn't work out the way I expect it to, then I'll call my insurance company and have them get involved.
Old 02-19-17, 12:08 PM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

As I said. You will get screwed over by not using your own insurance company. The other guys insurance do not have a duty to you, you are not their customer.

when you involve your insurance so late, things get very messy. If the other insurance company compensate you, you will not be compensated by your own. So good luck if it's a stinky payout.

If you're worried about rates, just change to someone else if that happens.

Last edited by 703; 02-19-17 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 06:57 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuleaze
13K won't fix it, that's why the body shop told them to "total it" back in early Jan. The car doesn't have a full frame, it's called a uni-body, and the kid driving my car didn't hit the car in front of him squarely, it was on an angle, so there was possible alignment issues and the collision was with such force that it actually buckled the roof in both corners where the pillars meet at the top of the windshield. I can tell you this, the estimate to fix the car before they took it apart and found internal damage was well over 10K.
I can understand the high cost of repair due to parts being expensive. Those self-leveling HID headlights aren't cheap, and most body panels might have to be sourced from the dealership directly.

But would a low speed collision resulting in rather minimal body damage really buckle the roof? Do you have photos of the roof?
Old 02-22-17, 07:23 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Low speed on not, you have almost 4000lbs of metal exerting almost 300lb/ft of torque into an immobile object. There is bound to be a good amount of damage at that point. In Maryland we have a thing called a no fault clause, which allows your insurance company to drop you after 3 no fault accidents. I'm not sure about other states but in Maryland, even if you are not at fault your insurance company can increase your rates or drop you. They see you as a higher liability whether it was your fault or not.

To the OP, that's a tough deal man. I definitely wouldn't buy the car back/keep it unless you plan on selling every piece of it. Also, once they deem your car a total loss, they have no responsibility to provide you a rental. However, they still should given that they had you riding around in one in limbo with your car's state. They should at least give you another 30 days. I would attempt to have your insurance company handle this, even if your rates go up. As someone else stated, if they go up go to another company.
Old 02-23-17, 11:09 AM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Don't keep the car. Walk away, after you beat them up on the price. I went through the same thing 3 yrs ago. I just kept sending them comps to support my price and they eventually folded.

Good luck.
This guy gets it...
Let the car go and find something else. I'm sure you loved the car and were super picky when getting it but do you really want a car that been damaged before. Especially that close to a total loss?
Also, the next gen F-sports are coming off lease and seem to be flooding the auctions.
I have been seeing some decent deals on them.