GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

So no one has done an aftermarket stereo yet???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 07:49 PM
DoritoDan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So no one has done an aftermarket stereo yet???

I've been searching and searching but have yet to see any post on some actually doing an in-dash head unit. No DIY threads, no kits, nothing. I work at bestbuy and have a nasty discount on a few things that i wanted to through in my car for once it's registered. Any help and experiences anyone else has had with this topic????? I have an 06 gs430 with ML system/no navigation. Wanted to get rid of stock 6 disc changer and put in aftermarket head unit as well as take out stock amp/add new one with subs in the back. Or am I just stuck with whats in there??
Old 01-21-17, 10:04 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Double din fits where cd/tape player is, but custom bezel must be made (PITA). I just added an aux/usb/bluetooth input device, and a higher powered amp for aftermarket subs tied to the front door speakers (right side) input into a line out converter, and OE sub input to (left side) into the LOC. Ideally add a **** to control the bass output as the stock system has "auto-loudness" that attenuates the bass as the volume rises near max output.
Old 01-22-17, 05:05 AM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any pics? What size subs and amps?
Old 01-22-17, 08:08 PM
DoritoDan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Japmand
Double din fits where cd/tape player is, but custom bezel must be made (PITA). I just added an aux/usb/bluetooth input device, and a higher powered amp for aftermarket subs tied to the front door speakers (right side) input into a line out converter, and OE sub input to (left side) into the LOC. Ideally add a **** to control the bass output as the stock system has "auto-loudness" that attenuates the bass as the volume rises near max output.
what about a single din. I don't need to go all fancy with a double din. i plan on taking out the stock amp for the one i have now. Sub box is soon to come. But if anything i'll have to just add bluetooth with the stock head unit
Old 01-22-17, 08:44 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DoritoDan
what about a single din. I don't need to go all fancy with a double din. i plan on taking out the stock amp for the one i have now. Sub box is soon to come. But if anything i'll have to just add bluetooth with the stock head unit
Single din with pocket is the same as double din - still needs custom fiberglass work for dash bezel = NO kits available. Stock amp is crossed over to each speaker, so you're installer is going to have to figure out crossover points if you delete the oem amp --- if you're talking multi-channel for whole system that is. I suggest adding a sub amp and aux inputs to oem head unit = done... And let your installer know the volume is being digitally processed by the amplifier, so the signal outputs from the head unit are fixed - you MUST tie LOC after the amplifier.
The following users liked this post:
DoritoDan (01-26-17)
Old 01-24-17, 05:35 PM
Hanxious
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are taking out the stock amp, I assume you are replacing the speakers as well? In that case, you could do a custom mount in the glove box or center console. It would be a lot easier than trying to fit it in the stock stereos spot.
You would already have a 12v source in the console and a nice short run for rcas to the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
DoritoDan (01-26-17)
Old 01-25-17, 12:14 PM
nkyrental
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crutchfield

They are your best bet to get a new stereo that fits well. The colors are slightly off, but not too bad.
Old 01-26-17, 06:44 AM
DoritoDan
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the inputs guys, once i get the rest of the pieces i'll take your advice in setting it up