GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another AFS, VSC, & engine check question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 02:48 PM
TTschmitta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Another AFS, VSC, & engine check question

Hello all! I own a SC300 with mods and always get great support when inquiring to clublexus so any insight is much appreciated!

I recently bought a 2006 GS300. After taking her home I realized the headlights were not positioned correctly, the previous owners did mention there was an issue with the auto leveling however from their description it sounded like it just wouldn't turn when the car did. Well I was certainly wrong because the headlights look to be cross-eyed or crisscrossed when I'm driving straight. when I first start the car they are straight and then automatically start turning before locking into place. It is hard to tell if they are moving in the same direction or not when this happens.

I have been doing some research with this issue but can not seem to find the answers I'm looking for. I'm sure it is out there but with the amount of these AFS issues reported, there's more threads then I have time to read...including all of the pointless comments. With that being said, I'm hoping someone can give me some quick, straight to the point answers.

1) Will removing the AFS sensors/motors, (or disabling them at least), cause any issues with the headlights functioning normal? By normal I mean just remain straight and not remaining in whatever direction it thinks I'm going in, (as it currently does).
2) Is it a bad motor/sensor causing the headlights to crisscross? Or perhaps the motors were switched and are on the wrong sides?
3) Has anyone had this specific issue where the headlights automatically go in a direction while the car is straight and will not change? If so, what are the solutions without having to go to a dealer and get ripped off and charged hundreds of dollars for a minor issue.

In regards to the VSC and check engine, I was reading that is a sensor issue most likely but have heard a few different things to be blamed for the problem such as the gas cap and a air sensor I believe it was? If anyone can clarify that would be great! I know some of the threads I was reading are a few years old so maybe there are some updates since then.

Again, any insight is appreciated and I must say I enjoy driving this around town much more than my SC and hope the electrical problems are not as frequent. If you have any other knowledge or things to keep an eye on, common issues, etc. please let me know, I would love to be in the know!

-TTschmitta
Old 01-09-17, 05:39 PM
TTschmitta
Driver

Here is a photo of what the headlights project as I drive. I also included a photo of a yellow brake caution light that is on, does anyone know what the issue could be credited to specifically? (usually that is). I should note I do notice the brakes have a little bit of a squeal and feels like it skips a tiny bit when a certain amount of pressure is applied to the brakes.

I believe the right (passenger side is the one that moves when I start the car)

I saw the red one but did not see the meaning of yellow, same thing?
Old 01-10-17, 07:30 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Did you try turning AFS off? On the dropdown panel (the one with the mirror controls) there should be a button that says "AFS OFF" – if you haven't already, try it and see if the headlights return to normal. If this doesn't work, try unhooking the negative battery terminal for an hour, maybe that will reset something. Also, does it happen immediately after starting, or only when you put the car in gear?

As for your questions:

1. Since the AFS motor is attached to something that swivels, removing the motor will probably allow that component to flop around, so your beam will likely move every time you go over a bump. Disconnecting the motors may work but will require some homework, especially if the relevant wires are part of the main headlight wiring harness. I would guess that the AFS system takes steering input data from the power steering ECU, and thus there may not be dedicated AFS sensors (I could be wrong though, the only way to check is to look at the relevant wiring diagrams).

2. Sounds to me like the problem is that the AFS computer is getting bad data on steering input. With a bad motor, only one headlamp would be misaligned, and if the motors were switched, the problem would only show up when you turn (unless the motors are the same on both sides, in which case it wouldn't matter). You should get this diagnosed at the dealer or independent shop to know exactly what you're dealing with.

3. I saw a thread about this same issue, but I don't think any fixes or resolutions were posted.

As for the CEL/VSC lights, there are about 24 billion things that trigger these lights, so without knowing the error codes nobody here can really help. Best thing to do would be to take it to a good independent shop specializing in Lexus/Toyota and have a tech inspect the car, pull codes, and getting an oil change would be a good idea.

Other things to keep an eye on – the big thing with the GS300 is carbon buildup on the intake valves, which will require a periodic engine cleaning. Also, change your transmission fluid (Lexus says it's "lifetime fluid", so most owners don't change it) and differential fluid.

Also, if you have the documentation from the previous owner, post up info on all work done, except oil changes/routine maintenance and recall work.
Old 01-23-17, 02:45 PM
TTschmitta
Driver

Originally Posted by Sodium
Did you try turning AFS off? On the dropdown panel (the one with the mirror controls) there should be a button that says "AFS OFF" – if you haven't already, try it and see if the headlights return to normal. If this doesn't work, try unhooking the negative battery terminal for an hour, maybe that will reset something. Also, does it happen immediately after starting, or only when you put the car in gear?

As for your questions:

1. Since the AFS motor is attached to something that swivels, removing the motor will probably allow that component to flop around, so your beam will likely move every time you go over a bump. Disconnecting the motors may work but will require some homework, especially if the relevant wires are part of the main headlight wiring harness. I would guess that the AFS system takes steering input data from the power steering ECU, and thus there may not be dedicated AFS sensors (I could be wrong though, the only way to check is to look at the relevant wiring diagrams).

2. Sounds to me like the problem is that the AFS computer is getting bad data on steering input. With a bad motor, only one headlamp would be misaligned, and if the motors were switched, the problem would only show up when you turn (unless the motors are the same on both sides, in which case it wouldn't matter). You should get this diagnosed at the dealer or independent shop to know exactly what you're dealing with.

3. I saw a thread about this same issue, but I don't think any fixes or resolutions were posted.

As for the CEL/VSC lights, there are about 24 billion things that trigger these lights, so without knowing the error codes nobody here can really help. Best thing to do would be to take it to a good independent shop specializing in Lexus/Toyota and have a tech inspect the car, pull codes, and getting an oil change would be a good idea.

Other things to keep an eye on – the big thing with the GS300 is carbon buildup on the intake valves, which will require a periodic engine cleaning. Also, change your transmission fluid (Lexus says it's "lifetime fluid", so most owners don't change it) and differential fluid.

Also, if you have the documentation from the previous owner, post up info on all work done, except oil changes/routine maintenance and recall work.
Thanks for the reply sorry for the late response. Yes I di try the AFS off button however it just continues to flash and it appears the passenger motor is the one that moves automatically. Do the motors automatically turn when the car is started and lights are turned on or are they already in the positions and do not need to adjust?

As far as the codes go, I will be sure to try and get them soon and will do a google search before I post anything I cant find info on. Appreciate the other insight and info as well!
Old 01-23-17, 08:10 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TTschmitta
Thanks for the reply sorry for the late response. Yes I di try the AFS off button however it just continues to flash and it appears the passenger motor is the one that moves automatically. Do the motors automatically turn when the car is started and lights are turned on or are they already in the positions and do not need to adjust?

As far as the codes go, I will be sure to try and get them soon and will do a google search before I post anything I cant find info on. Appreciate the other insight and info as well!
No worries, glad to help

When you start the car, the headlight beam should move in the vertical axis. Specifically, it should move down, then back up to the initial position. I believe this is the just the auto-leveling system doing a self test, and is something that all cars with factory HIDs do

The AFS system is only involved in horizontal beam movement, and should only move when you're making a turn (you shouldn't see any horizontal movement when the car isn't moving)