GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS300 Shut Down On Me...PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 02:02 PM
mekonoir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS300 Shut Down On Me...PLEASE HELP!!

Hi, All,

I NEED HELP!! A few days ago my 2006 GS300 AWD shut down on me on the highway. The dash panel display started to flicker off and on, the check VSC warning came one, the battery icon, check engine lights, and other dash icons came on and I was barely able to pull it to the side of the road. I tried to jump the batter but it wouldn't jump so I went and bought a new battery and that did the trick (the rep at the auto store checked the old battery and it turns out I had a bad cell). Later on that evening however, driving on the highway again the same thing happened. This time though I was able to drive a few more miles before the car completely shut off again. Now it will not start at all. i am assuming it is electrical because although I have a new battery, it seems power is not getting though as, for example, hazard lights won't stay and blinks weakly and when I turned on the wipers and they barely moved.

I have an idea that it may be the alternator. I did some online research here and Google and YouTube and it suggests that it is, but I am not sure. Can anyone offer advice? Assuming it's the alternator, right now I do not have $800 for parts and labor to replace it. I would like to DIY. Can anyone provide videos or tutorials regarding replacing the alternator on my own? Please only helpful, detailed and respectful comments. Thank you.
Old 12-24-16, 02:08 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

If you can take out the alternator, have someone like Autozone, O'reillys, Napa, etc, test it out. But with all those warning lights, especially the main three, VSC, battery, and CEL it is the sign of a bad alternator. Mine did the same thing a few months ago. The part is cheap, but taking out the alternator is a different story. It's a pain in the butt.
The following users liked this post:
mekonoir (12-24-16)
Old 12-24-16, 02:13 PM
mekonoir
Driver School Candidate

Thanks MX. Is there anyway to test the alternator without having to take it out? I saw some vids and yes, I agree with you, it's a pain in the butt apparently. I saw that you can test the alternator with a multimeter but that's only when the car is running. If you know whether I can test the alternator without having to remove then let me know. If not, I just have roll up my sleeves and remove it myself to be checked.

Thanks for your quick reply too bud!
Old 12-24-16, 03:02 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 793 Likes on 686 Posts

Take it to advance or autozone and have the guys run a scan on the alternator their system should be able to tell you if the alternator is any good or not.

If your low on cash maybe you can try to rebuild your alternator they sell brushes and regulators on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-NEW-ALTE...BWTT0k&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
mekonoir (12-24-16)
Old 12-24-16, 03:21 PM
mekonoir
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the reply ibid. I will try the fix on Monday and see how it goes....
Old 12-24-16, 09:14 PM
Japmand
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say it's your alternator 99.8% chance. AWD 06 GS300 requires removal of the AC compressor for alternator removal. NOT a DIY job.
Old 12-26-16, 08:03 PM
ptplujo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to chime in also, it definitely sounds like the alternator 100% too. I've had this issue before on other cars such as my sc300. Basically the alternator is not charging the battery as it should and thus the battery is supplying all electrical power to the car like your radio, lights, etc. You can imagine a couple drives here and there with radio on and it will deplete that battery quick. Good news is that new battery might be salvageable or if you got a good one, may qualify for the replacement maybe at no cost since its so new.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-26-16, 10:01 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wouldn't the battery malfunction light turn on if it's really the alternator? Is us on?
Old 01-01-17, 10:38 AM
bullhog
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mekonoir
Hi, All,

I NEED HELP!! A few days ago my 2006 GS300 AWD shut down on me on the highway. The dash panel display started to flicker off and on, the check VSC warning came one, the battery icon, check engine lights, and other dash icons came on and I was barely able to pull it to the side of the road. I tried to jump the batter but it wouldn't jump so I went and bought a new battery and that did the trick (the rep at the auto store checked the old battery and it turns out I had a bad cell). Later on that evening however, driving on the highway again the same thing happened. This time though I was able to drive a few more miles before the car completely shut off again. Now it will not start at all. i am assuming it is electrical because although I have a new battery, it seems power is not getting though as, for example, hazard lights won't stay and blinks weakly and when I turned on the wipers and they barely moved.

I have an idea that it may be the alternator. I did some online research here and Google and YouTube and it suggests that it is, but I am not sure. Can anyone offer advice? Assuming it's the alternator, right now I do not have $800 for parts and labor to replace it. I would like to DIY. Can anyone provide videos or tutorials regarding replacing the alternator on my own? Please only helpful, detailed and respectful comments. Thank you.
Tell us what the prognosis was, fix and outcome? thank you, mekonoir
Old 01-01-17, 04:08 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Check if its your main fuse, its a long thin metal piece near the battery under a clear case.

Something similar happened to me and others and this was the fix. $130 part from Lexus and maybe $40 in labor to fix it, unless you can do it yourself.