GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus GS450H P0016 code. Check engine on

Old 12-02-16, 06:58 AM
alexchris1
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus GS450H Cold start problem

Hello guys. I need some help regarding a 2007 Lexus GS450h with 100k miles. The problem is very strange in my opinion. Sometimes when the car idles specially in heavy traffic and the engine stops and starts allot of times to recharge the batteries the check engine light comes on. Even with the CEL on everything is running perfect, no limp mode, or anything regarding a power surge. I plugged in my obd2 reader and it gives me the p0016 fault. Camshaft corelation or something like this.

I observed that this fault only occurs when the car is iddling allot in very heavy traffic (ex. one miles in one hour) in my country traffic jams are a very common thing If i delete it i can travel for weeks and it doesen't come on.

Is it something i shoud worry about? I heavn't reached a Lexus dealer yet. The car had all the recalls done(valve springs and stuff). Thank you and excuse my bad english.

This problem has been fixed (post #15), please read the last post(post #16) on the second page. Thank you very much!

Last edited by alexchris1; 01-24-17 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-02-16, 11:11 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome to CL!

Here's some info on the error code: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-jay-safford

Briefly, the crankshaft and camshaft have a very specific relationship between their rotational positions, which is set at the factory and should never change – this ensures that the valves can't open at the wrong time and possibly hit the piston (usually resulting in catastrophic engine damage). The engine has sensors to detect the rotational position of each cam shaft and the crankshaft, so you'll know if the relationship changes for whatever reason. P0016 means that the camshaft position sensor is telling the car that the timing is off on one of the camshafts. At best, this means the sensor may need replacing for giving incorrect signals – at worst, the timing is actually off and can cause catastrophic engine damage. Since the problem is intermittent and the car is working normally, I would guess it's the sensor. Either way, get it into the dealer or a good independent shop and have it diagnosed and fixed

Oh and your English is better than quite a few people I know who speak it as their native language
Old 12-03-16, 09:33 AM
alexchris1
Rookie

Thank you very much for your answer. I think you are definitely right. Today i had about 250 miles with citys and highways and mountain roads. Traffic was moderate and the car run flawlessly. The CEL lights up only when the engine stop and starts allot of times on idle to power up the battery's. Strange thing is that i saw this only occurs only when the batteries are completely empty.
Old 12-03-16, 05:07 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Yep, electrical issues often cause strange things to happen

Keep us updated when you find out what the problem is!
The following users liked this post:
alexchris1 (12-15-16)
Old 12-04-16, 10:39 AM
alexchris1
Rookie

Yep, when i will find what it was I will post here what caused the CEL to light up.
Old 12-06-16, 03:19 PM
alexchris1
Rookie

Just a little update. Today a plugged in again my obd reader. The CEL did not went on but i was curious to see the rpm at idle on the engine. It idles at 990-998 rpm but this sound ok to me. The strange thing is that i checked for errors and i had a p0017 but it was in pending. Something i shoud worry about? i did not have time to check the sensors. Vehicle is running great
Old 12-08-16, 01:34 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

P0017 is the same as P0016, but for one of your other cam shafts

http://www.autocodes.com/p0017_toyota.html

Since you're getting both codes, it's probably not a bad idea to get your car looked at sooner rather than later
alexchris1 (12-15-16)
Old 12-15-16, 03:03 PM
alexchris1
Rookie

Ok so after a week and so everything was perfect, no errors car runned great until... I left the car for 3 days in the garage. In my country it is pretty could this time of year. I started the car it ran great for a couple of seconds and then the idle began to be very rough. Check engine light came on and it started flashing. I restarted the car and everything was perfect. I pluged in my obd reader and it only gave me: "p0300 random multiple cylinder misfire detected".

Does anybody have any ideas? When i restarted the car everything was perfect. Thank you very much.
Old 12-15-16, 03:26 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

With 100k on the car "Random misfire" could be sparkplugs or ignition coils. Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like. They call it "Reading the plugs".

alexchris1 (12-15-16)
Old 12-15-16, 03:54 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus Master Tech here,

While this is not a common problem, my first thought would be to check your oil level and make sure that it is correct. Many times when oil level gets low, codes related to valve timing are first to show up($). Secondly, it could be your oil control valve for the affected bank acting up($$), Third the vvt-i gear itself($$$), and finally worst case senario is that the vehicle jumped time for some reason($$$$)
alexchris1 (12-15-16)
Old 12-15-16, 03:55 PM
alexchris1
Rookie

The car has exactly 100 k miles and the spark plugs had never been changed. Also when the engine idles i feel a very slight lump when i am hearing the exhaust from outside.
@notadood: thank you for your answer. The oil was changed 1000 miles ago. it's been over a week and the cel did not come back for the p0016 fault.

Last edited by alexchris1; 12-15-16 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-15-16, 11:40 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alexchris1
The car has exactly 100 k miles and the spark plugs had never been changed. Also when the engine idles i feel a very slight lump when i am hearing the exhaust from outside.
@notadood: thank you for your answer. The oil was changed 1000 miles ago. it's been over a week and the cel did not come back for the p0016 fault.
Bad spark plugs could definitely cause rough idle. I would also check the engine air filter and replace it if it's looking too dirty. Also, check the throttle body and MAF sensor and clean them if necessary – if those are dirty they can cause idle issues.

Did all these problems start happening after the oil change?
alexchris1 (01-24-17)
Old 12-15-16, 11:50 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus Master Tech here,

While this is not a common problem, my first thought would be to check your oil level and make sure that it is correct. Many times when oil level gets low, codes related to valve timing are first to show up($). Secondly, it could be your oil control valve for the affected bank acting up($$), Third the vvt-i gear itself($$$), and finally worst case senario is that the vehicle jumped time for some reason($$$$)
Is it possible that these problems are happening because OP's car was filled with 5W-40, or some other oil of the wrong viscosity?
Old 12-16-16, 02:54 AM
alexchris1
Rookie

Since i got the cat i saw that it has a very slight lump when idle. Now after the car wad sitting for a couple of this it started like s***. I cleaned the maf, the tb and when I changed the oil new air filter was mounted. I will change the spark plugs next week. I will keep you guys informed.
Old 12-24-16, 03:26 PM
alexchris1
Rookie

Ok so I think i can say everything is very ok. The CEL did not come on since the beginning of this post, i got an advice from another Lexus club to clean the VVTI Cam filter because they can get clogged and cause the light to come up. Also i changed the spark plugs. Two of them looked pretty bad. About the misfires, the strange thing is that the problem i think was related to the oil dipstick not plugged in correctly. Probably it was a vacuum leak because when i plugged the dipstick correctly, the engine cold started fine and this was before i changed the spark plugs. Anyway guys thank you allot for your help for all the good advice about my problems. I will keep this topic updated in case others need help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus GS450H P0016 code. Check engine on