GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 problems. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 12:01 PM
Greek1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 problems. Any advice?

I have been a Lexus owner for over 10 years I have had a few of the first generation LS400's. About a week ago I purchased a 2007 GS350 from a private party. I had looked up the Carfax and both recalls, the vvt and the fuel pressure sensor leak, had not been done. The car is immaculate and looks as if it was very well taken care of. Car fax reports indicated both owners had it serviced regularly at The Lexus dealer. Only problem the guy told me was the radio didn't work, well I'm still in trial & error on that so I'll get to what I'm worried about. I drove it home 50 miles on the highway no problems, but I only drive local I work a mile away form home. The other day the check engine, check vsc, and traction light came on, then went off and came on again. I had it scanned at a local auto zone and it they reset it. The code that came up is P0606 ECM processor fault. The car seems to be running fine. I think I may have noticed a slight jerk once or twice in 1st gear while then light was on but that could just be in my head. I have looked into the code and it doesn't sound good. I have an appt. at Lexus Tuesday for the recalls but I'm worried. I spent a lot of my hard earned $on this car. I have been saving for one for a long time. I don't have thousands more to spend. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has had any similar situations or run in with the same code. And how much could an ECM cost? and is it dealer only ?? I'm guessing yes lol. Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated guys. Thanks !

Last edited by Greek1981; 11-19-16 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
Old 11-19-16, 12:35 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 793 Likes on 686 Posts

Have you tried searching on mylexus.com to see if the previous owner may have taken the car to have it to the dealer to complain about the ecu and it may show what the dealers findings were?

But I wouldnt jump the gun and replace it unless I make sure all the minor things are ok. See what the dealer will say if they can scan it for you and see whats actually going on.

Even if the ECU is damaged there are plenty of used ones for sale. You can either swap it out yourself and pay the dealer maybe an hours worth of labour to load your vehicles program.

Heres a used ECU http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-07-LEXU...5YJgNT&vxp=mtr

Heres a brand new one http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Lexus-G...ZXOki9&vxp=mtr
Old 11-19-16, 12:46 PM
Greek1981
Driver School Candidate

I would think they would scan it when I bring it in for the recall since they are doing all that work. I was trying to aviod mentioning it and hope they would scan it anyway. As soon as you ask a question at the dealer its a diagnostic fee lol. Im definitely going to go through everything. Replacing it is the last resort. I will definitely check there and see if he made complaints. Thank you. I was just curious if anyone else had a similar problem. That's not as expensive as I thought for an ecm? I read somewhere someone got quoted 5000 by the dealer. I got quoted to replace my 98 LS400's ecm 1800 when i lost my keys. I also heard if you use a used one with my car you need the keys that were with it? That true?
Old 11-19-16, 01:57 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 793 Likes on 686 Posts

I would start with minor things like checking battery terminals, making sure you have good clean grounds, and maybe unplugging the ecu and use electronic cleaner on the terminals.

The ECU has your stored settings, if you buy a used one the dealer will need to clear and load your settings onto the replacement ecu. If you buy brand new parts from the dealer then sure an ECU can cost a lot, but thankfully theres ebay and other ways around paying the big dollars.

Im sure the issue with your car is minor maybe because the car wasnt driven much. These cars are pretty stout, not as reliable as a 98 LS400 but very close to it. If your near 90k miles on the stock water pump then I would go ahead and replace that with an Aisan brand pump off ebay (cost $110 bucks) these have been known to fail at over 100k. There easy to replace takes 1-2 hours to install. There have been a few rare cases of people over heating their engines from a leaky water pump.
Old 11-19-16, 06:31 PM
Greek1981
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I hope ur right. Thanks for the heads up I will definitely change the water pump. Im gonna let lexus do the recalls then see what I can figure out. Hopefully the light is on when I bring it in. It's been coming on and off. Battery is new. I checked fuses and relays all looks good. Like you said hopefully it's something stupid because the car runs fine. All i got is the P0606 code which tells me nothing lol. Im just thinking too much because the guy gave it to me for a great price which makes me think. If it comes back on after they fix it I will have look into more. Because for all I know the problem that is being recalled could be causing it. I don't think so but I'll let them do everything before I spend any more money. Can I reset the ecu myself or does lexus have to do it?
Old 11-19-16, 06:54 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Greek1981
............. All i got is the P0606 code which tells me nothing lol. ......................?
Relax, read this:
http://carspecmn.com/p0606-ecmpcm-pr...n-repair-tips/

My water pump was replaced under warranty years ago at like 20k miles due to a very slight coolant leak. If it was truly serviced regularly at the dealer than it could have been done already. Just go to the dealer for the open recalls and ask the service consultant to run a check on warranty/recall work done to the car. Valve springs and fuel rails were recalled on my 2007. Its a great car, never let me down.
Old 11-19-16, 07:30 PM
Greek1981
Driver School Candidate

Yes I saw that post. Only thing is i didnt get any codes along with the P0606. Just that one. I had read a forum that said to keep getting it scanned everytime the light comes on and hopefully one of those times there's another code along with the P0606. But every time I go to get it scanned it goes back off by the time I get there LOL anyway you guys are probably right I'll stop worrying probably nothing. Thank you guys for the insight I will get everything checked out and ask about the recalls. I think I did see on the Carfax where the valve springs got done I'll check it again. What weird thing happen though my father-in-law tried to use his his little Snap-on OBD2 tool and it read it but while it was plugged in check 4WD was popping up on the information screen as well. Later when I left it was gone and just to check VSC and check engine was there.