GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430 Electronic Exhaust Cutout Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 07:38 PM
rxmpvibes
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2006 GS430 Electronic Exhaust Cutout Advice?

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to get a little more HP and loudness but, still keep the stock sound from my 06 GS430 and I've been doing research and it looks like I can have the best of both worlds by adding an electronic e-cutout. I can close it up for quiet stock sound or I can open it up for that loud V8 sound!! I was looking at the DMH E-Cutouts because they are of great quality, have a lot of positive reviews, and they come with a 4 year warranty!

Here are my questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated:

1. What size e-cutout should I purchase? 2.25" or 2.5"?

2. Are there any real performance gains or benefits? Also, are there any cons?

3. Best place to mount and install the e-cutout?

4. Since the GS has a dual exhaust do I need 2 e-cutouts or just 1?

5. Should I get a remote or switch?

5. How and where do I run the wires from underneath the car?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-16, 02:44 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Interesting product! A friend of mine is getting a Larini exhaust system for his Quattroporte, and it has a similar system.

To answer your questions:

1. Probably get the one closest to the diameter of the rest of the exhaust system.

2. Regarding performance gains: if your car isn't making any more power than stock, the short answer is no, you likely won't notice any gains. As for cons: you'll be adding weight (e-cutout + some additional piping); your exhaust will have to be cut and the new parts welded in and you may need some mountings fabricated as well, and you'll have to run new electric lines to the valves – both jobs should be easy for a competent shop, but if not done right, can cause some inconvenience.

If you want performance benefits, you may want to consider replacing the resonator with an x-pipe – cheaper and easier than the e-cutout. Alternatively, you could do both an x-pipe and the e-cutout, and it probably won't cost much more than the e-cutout alone.

3. You'll probably place it somewhere between the resonator and the muffler:

Left – stock exhaust; middle – where the e-cutout will likely go; right – replacing resonator with x-pipe

4. You're probably better off getting two to keep things symmetrical, it may sound weird otherwise.

5. I would go with the switch so I don't have to worry about the remote running out of batteries or falling between the seat and center console.

5. That's something a good aftermarket shop will be able to figure out for you.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-17-16, 07:25 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Hp will depend on how restrictive the stock setup is. Loudness will depend on where you plan to install the valve. The size of the valve I would keep it at stock diameter, so it can be easily welded on.

Personally what I would do first before buying the system is to remove/unbolt the rear mufflers and listen to the sound if you like it put the valves near those gaskets. If still not loud enough before the secondary cats will make it a lot louder.
Old 11-17-16, 11:01 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ibidu1
If still not loud enough before the secondary cats will make it a lot louder.
You mean put the e-cutout between the primary and secondary cats?
Old 11-17-16, 11:27 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Sodium
You mean put the e-cutout between the primary and secondary cats?
Yes thanks for pointing that out! That would be a bad spot and would christmas lights the dash
Old 11-17-16, 07:49 PM
rxmpvibes
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your advice Sodium and ibidu1! Yeah, I agree with you. I believe putting the e-cutouts between the resonator and mufflers is a good spot. I won't risk getting a check engine light and I will get less interior vibration when the e-cutouts are open.

Not sure if the GS430 has the same exact exhaust setup as the LS430 but, I found a guy with an LS430 and he did the same thing but, he deleted the resonator because he said it wasn't "as loud".

Here is a video of of the e-cutouts with resonator delete. It sounds like a monster!

Let me know if its a good idea to delete the resonator.
Old 11-17-16, 08:11 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rxmpvibes
Thanks for your advice Sodium and ibidu1! Yeah, I agree with you. I believe putting the e-cutouts between the resonator and mufflers is a good spot. I won't risk getting a check engine light and I will get less interior vibration when the e-cutouts are open.

Not sure if the GS430 has the same exact exhaust setup as the LS430 but, I found a guy with an LS430 and he did the same thing but, he deleted the resonator because he said it wasn't "as loud".

Here is a video of of the e-cutouts with resonator delete. It sounds like a monster!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIu73uDHN8

Let me know if its a good idea to delete the resonator.
Damn that sounds really sweet!

And yeah definitely delete the resonator – the resonator and muffler are the two most restrictive parts of the stock exhaust system. Get an x-pipe put on in its place as I described above. A couple members with GS460s have done a full dual exhaust system (replaced the resonator with x-pipe) and liked the results: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...st-system.html
Old 11-17-16, 08:16 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Yes thanks for pointing that out! That would be a bad spot and would christmas lights the dash
Well it's the right time of year for Christmas lights