GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Back Up Camera trajectories?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-16, 03:27 AM
buzzed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Up Camera trajectories?

Hey there!

Just a quick question out of curiosity... whenever I see videos of the GS in the States, they never have dynamic trajectory lines in the rear backup camera view. However, my 2006 450h has them (I am based in Germany)... also the parallel parking feature (which I still haven't figured out how to use properly). Does anyone know why US models don't have that? They all seem to have fixed lines, if any. Any ideas?

Old 11-12-16, 07:32 AM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting, my 2006 gs300 doesn't have the backup camera line guidance....never seen this before. I wonder your gs has it?!

Originally Posted by buzzed
Hey there!

Just a quick question out of curiosity... whenever I see videos of the GS in the States, they never have dynamic trajectory lines in the rear backup camera view. However, my 2006 450h has them (I am based in Germany)... also the parallel parking feature (which I still haven't figured out how to use properly). Does anyone know why US models don't have that? They all seem to have fixed lines, if any. Any ideas?

Old 11-12-16, 08:41 AM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow... How do u get those lines?
Old 11-12-16, 02:37 PM
imind
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gs3500
Wow... How do u get those lines?
i want them as well...i've heard many US models do not have them for whatever reason. some say you don't need them and i get that but i've had both and seriously appreciate having the lines. for no other reason they mark where the outer edge of your car will be which is nice for backing into tight spaces which i have to do daily due to living downtown.

i would LOVE to know how i get them added...
Old 11-12-16, 06:53 PM
buzzed
Driver School Candidate

Maybe because of liability issues whenever something happens? I always wondered why thats the case. So whenever you turn the wheel, the lines bend and predict where you're going. Its pretty convenient! As far as I know all European models had that as a standard... so no one knows why here and not there in the States?
Old 11-13-16, 05:15 AM
buzzed
Driver School Candidate

by the way thats how it works, for those who don't know... (sorry, indications in German)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjSpnmuT5uE&feature=youtu.be
Old 11-13-16, 05:53 PM
rickdestik
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Backup Camera Lines

Hey there!

Believe the lines in the rear camera are associated with the parking assist feature. The vehicles with parking assist have sensors in the rear bumper (and front bumper) that determine how far an object is from the vehicle. The lines are added from the information from the rear bumper sensors. My 2008 GS 350 does not have the parking assist or lines in the rear camera display. Can others with the parking assist feature comment on this??
Old 11-13-16, 08:12 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdestik
Believe the lines in the rear camera are associated with the parking assist feature. The vehicles with parking assist have sensors in the rear bumper (and front bumper) that determine how far an object is from the vehicle. The lines are added from the information from the rear bumper sensors. My 2008 GS 350 does not have the parking assist or lines in the rear camera display. Can others with the parking assist feature comment on this??
I have parking assist and don't see those lines. I Havnt really trying messing with the menu to see if they can be turned on though. I'll check tomorrow and post my findings.
Old 11-14-16, 12:23 AM
buzzed
Driver School Candidate

No, the assist lines have nothing to do with the ultrasound proximity sensors I have seen a lot US car review videos that showed the parking assist sensors and the rear backup camera but you could see that they never had dynamic guidance lines that bend as you turn the steering wheel, like in my video. Some reviewers also complained that its fixed... so thats why I was wondering why US models don't have it as far as I know the feature was disabled in the States but the big question is why?
Old 11-14-16, 12:07 PM
rickdestik
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back Up Camera Trajectories

I stand corrected. And my lines are static as you say. Probably as you suggested a liability issue.
Old 11-15-16, 03:57 PM
imind
Rookie

I stand corrected. And my lines are static as you say. Probably as you suggested a liability issue.
but other car manufacturers still use them...and US based manufacturers at that...
Old 11-15-16, 03:59 PM
buzzed
Driver School Candidate

They probably decide by themselves... I guess in this case Lexus was afraid of getting sued by someone wrecking their car because the lines told them otherwise Not possible to sue a company over that in Germany (and Europe), its your own responsibility... so that would make sense I guess?
Old 11-17-16, 03:46 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

They probably decide by themselves... I guess in this case Lexus was afraid of getting sued by someone wrecking their car because the lines told them otherwise Not possible to sue a company over that in Germany (and Europe), its your own responsibility... so that would make sense I guess?
Yep, we Americans do love law suits! The real problem though is the quality (or lack thereof) of the jury pool in some of the jurisdictions where many cases are filed (LA and NYC come to mind) – if an individual sues a big company, many jurors will find for the plaintiff regardless of the facts of the case.

It could also be a regulatory thing: active matrix headlights aren't available in the US because of some bullcrap DOT statute, and the US spec BMW i8 doesn't have the laser headlights for the same reason.
Old 11-17-16, 03:29 PM
imind
Rookie

i'm not buying being sued as the reason...you could just as easily (and lamely) argue that they could get sued for NOT providing them.
Old 11-17-16, 03:30 PM
buzzed
Driver School Candidate

Weeell it was just a guess no one will ever know I am afraid

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera trajectories?