GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trunks shows OPEN at dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 02:51 PM
hang3xc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunks shows OPEN at dash

Hi
I have an 07 gs350 with the dash showing trunk open even though it isn't. The switch between the license plate lamps isn't working either, but the interior trunk button and remote both work fine. so it isn't the valet switch. I also checked the fuse and it was good, which makes sense seeing how the trunk still opens with interior trunk button and remote, but process of elimination I guess, check easiest stuff first. I also disconnected the battery for a couple minutes because sometimes that fixes weird things, but no luck.

Then I unplugged and probed the connector for the switch between the license plate lamps and it beeps when I press the switch, so there is continuity and the switch is good. Next I measured the voltage at the connector that the switch plugs into and got only .615 volts, just over 1/2 a volt. I'd figure it would be 12v but I have no idea without a service manual. If anyone knows how many volts should be at that connector, I'd love to know.

Right beside where the trunk lid latches onto, on the cars body, there is a spring loaded button that I'm guessing pops the trunk up when the latch opens. That also has a switch connected to it that I hear click when I push down on the spring loaded button. I'm guessing THAT switch is what tells the computer that the trunk is closed and is possibly the cause of my problem. Does anyone know if I am right?

I cant get the trim off to check it though, because the trim that covers that area goes under the cargo net hold downs and I can't figure out how to get the hold downs off. Does anyone know how to get them off? There is no screw or bolt and the hold down is very secure, being a hold down and all.

I could use any help anyone has

Thanks
Ron
Old 10-19-16, 02:15 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

***** Update: It appears mine went away on its own. Have yet to buy a new car battery. Car cranked on its own. At first the dash indicated the trunk was opened. Pressed the trunk release button from the drop down switch panel (DDSP) and the trunk opened. Opened the trunk halfway and shut it. I could hear the mechanism working to shut the trunk completely. Got back in my car and the opened trunk display disappeared.

Have you checked your car battery life? Here's why I asked. A little over a month ago, I got an oil change at the stealership and I was told my battery life was at 10 percent of life. Today, I came out and started my car but no crank. Dash lights started flickering. First thing I thought to my head was the battery must've died finally. Had a battery pack in the trunk (Thank you Harbor Freight. Life saver. A must have in every car!). I guess I must've used the last bit of battery when I pressed the trunk release on the drop down switch panel because the lights started flickering abnormally. Different from the first time it flickered. Got my battery pack and charged the car. Cranked right up. I removed the positive, then negative. Same way it went on, positive then negative. If any of that matters for future reference. Put the pack back in the trunk and closed it -- released trunk from my hand halfway so it can drop on its own. Now, I know if the trunk isn't closed all the way and it catches onto the latch, the trunk would close on its own mechanically. At least mine does so I knew it closed. Also by the sound. I then proceed to close the hood, hopped in the car and drove off. Not even 15 seconds, the nuclear sirens went off! I looked at my dash and was like WTF! The trunk is opened? I parked the car, went to the back and tried to lift the trunk. No budge. For all of you that's worried about my well being, this all took place in an apartment complex and most people were at work so no traffic what so ever and no kids during this time of day. Anywho, I pressed the trunk release button on the trunk and it didn't open. I then used the trunk release button on the drop down switch panel and it still didn't pop open. I checked in the glove box to make sure the trunk security switch wasn't on. I ended up using the key to open and the shut it again. Drove off, same warning bells. I barely drive my car. I'm getting a new battery to see if that solves it. I haven't done any electrical wiring to the car lately. No thunderstorm or lightning neither. Hope this helps if you're in a hurry.

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 10-20-16 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 04:56 PM
hang3xc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are a lucky guy! I finally relented and went to dealer after checking all the switches and finding them all OK. They had it for about 4 hours and came up empty. I was only charged 1 hour thankfully, even though it still sucks to pay $140 and get no answer. Now they tell me they are going to have to go to wherever the wires plug into the computer or whatever, disconnect it, and check each wire one by one, and if the wires are all good, prob replace the computer or whatever the wires plug into. There is NO estimate of time, no estimate of cost. THey can't even tell me how much a new computer or whatever costs.

I can't believe I am thinking of trading in a car I've only had for 2 years because of a TRUNK OPEN LIGHT

I really thought Lexus made good quality stuff. What a ripoff
Old 10-20-16, 07:32 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get wiring diagram by subscribing to Toyota service manuals online. I think it is $15 for a 2 day period.
Old 10-21-16, 11:56 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hang, I understand your frustration and it socks knowing you have to trade in a beautiful car for some BS the dealership can't even figure out. I hope you find some sort of solution and if my.lights come back on, I'll definitely try to troubleshoot where it went wrong. I know I haven't touched any electrical so if the car has been sitting on its own for a couple of days. All I can think of is that it's the battery. I could be wrong. Another update... day two of starting up my car and it cranked up faster than before. Like a brand new battery. Again, I have yet to buy a new battery lol.