GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Stereo Options for my '08 GS 350 w/Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 08:26 PM
pheisty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Options for my '08 GS 350 w/Mark Levinson

Hello from Wisco!

I've only had my 2008 GS 350 AWD for 24 hours, and I love everything about it...except that I can't listen to my music on the OEM system. (I'm sure I'm not alone, here.) I've been examining my options and already made a trip to my local sound store to get their take. They advised that I install a VAIStech option, which utilizes the existing touchscreen. My husband likes that idea, but is also enamored (as am I) with having the option of another DVD receiver that would take up the space that the current CD/tape deck currently takes up. It'd look a bit ugly, I admit, but we are music-crazy and this is a huge priority for us.

I also would like a better BT option for the phone, and most of the DVD receivers have this.

I just am torn about the possible ruining my pretty Lexus or damaging anything. Does anyone have any experience with adding a DVD receiver below the OEM touchscreen? If so, can you please post your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-16, 09:41 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Hi and welcome to CL,

Congratulations on your purchase. Honestly I don't know why people don't like the OEM ML system. I'm very pleased with it especially coming from an 07 ES with base stock sound system lol.
Old 09-13-16, 10:15 PM
taxidrivr
Driver School Candidate

I have a vais tech unit installed in my car, works fine for just music but not much beyond that. Bought a 160gb iPod classic that I keep in the glove box at all times.

Old 09-14-16, 12:37 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no idea what needs to be done to run this, but I recall seeing a few people running a double din on the bottom.

http://syracusecustoms.com/manager/u...1_IMG_0303.JPG
Old 09-14-16, 03:16 AM
pheisty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tayslexus
Hi and welcome to CL,

Congratulations on your purchase. Honestly I don't know why people don't like the OEM ML system. I'm very pleased with it especially coming from an 07 ES with base stock sound system lol.
Thanks, tays! I actually don't mind the sound, it's the fact that I can't connect my iPhone to it that drives me crazy.
Old 09-14-16, 03:23 AM
pheisty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tcr101
I have no idea what needs to be done to run this, but I recall seeing a few people running a double din on the bottom.

http://syracusecustoms.com/manager/u...1_IMG_0303.JPG
Thank you! This is exactly what I would like to do. Does anyone else have any insight into this option? I looked online at Crutchfield and this is the list of possible stereos that they are saying 'could' work, but they add the disclaimer 'we haven't fully researched your car': http://www.crutchfield.com/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html
Old 09-14-16, 03:24 AM
pheisty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by taxidrivr
I have a vais tech unit installed in my car, works fine for just music but not much beyond that. Bought a 160gb iPod classic that I keep in the glove box at all times.
Yeah, I would like it to be more versatile, but if it allows me to play my music off of my phone, I'm happy.

If you don't mind me asking, what model do you have? And does it allow you to make BT calls through it?
Old 09-14-16, 12:32 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by pheisty
Thanks, tays! I actually don't mind the sound, it's the fact that I can't connect my iPhone to it that drives me crazy.
That's true. We only can use an AUX. They introduced the USB for the 2010 model year
Old 09-14-16, 01:41 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good place to start is Crutchfield online.. Check their list of recievers available for your specific vehicle, if there is a needed installation kit, its noted as "Modified Fit". There may also include a picture of where the unit's proposed location.. If you have any other questions, you could call them, they're helpful if you happen on the right support person.

Good luck
Old 09-14-16, 08:48 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what's the cost of fhis added feature?
Old 09-15-16, 01:34 AM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please don't hack up your dash and look into VAIS Technology

I have a Medialinq plus (for video) but first started with this and its perfect for what your trying to accomplish-
http://www.vaistech.com/newsite/product/mml-t1/

Skip songs with steering wheel controls, artist and song info is displayed on the Navigation screen.
Check ebay, local craigslist and even the classifieds here for a pre-owned one.

Oh and another feature I like was that I could plug in a USB flash drive with new songs that I hadn't synced on to my iPhone yet
Installation wasn't too terribly difficult and everything is hidden out of the way.

Oh yeah, and it "presses" accept warning on screen button when the Navi screen first turns on

Last edited by Cwiok71; 09-15-16 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 02:44 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't you just pick up a bluetooth receiver for $20 on Amazon and plug it into the Aux? That's what I did, phone is mounted to the vent and I just hit the NEXT button on the mounted phone when I want to skip song. No ugly Aux cable, all wireless and relatively clean
Old 09-18-16, 07:23 PM
pheisty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cwiok71
Please don't hack up your dash and look into VAIS Technology

I have a Medialinq plus (for video) but first started with this and its perfect for what your trying to accomplish-
http://www.vaistech.com/newsite/product/mml-t1/

Skip songs with steering wheel controls, artist and song info is displayed on the Navigation screen.
Check ebay, local craigslist and even the classifieds here for a pre-owned one.

Oh and another feature I like was that I could plug in a USB flash drive with new songs that I hadn't synced on to my iPhone yet
Installation wasn't too terribly difficult and everything is hidden out of the way.

Oh yeah, and it "presses" accept warning on screen button when the Navi screen first turns on
Thank you! My husband and I have decided to go with a Vaistech product for the reason you first listed: We don't want to hack up this beautiful piece of machinery.

One question for you, though. Can you still use your phone while you're running the app? We're looking at the iVic option. And does this or does it not mirror your phone? I've seen some youtube videos where people are mirroring their phone on the factory nav touch screen, but I don't think it's with a Vaistech product.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 09-18-16, 07:26 PM
pheisty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznxenon
Can't you just pick up a bluetooth receiver for $20 on Amazon and plug it into the Aux? That's what I did, phone is mounted to the vent and I just hit the NEXT button on the mounted phone when I want to skip song. No ugly Aux cable, all wireless and relatively clean
Yes, but I'm looking for the best sound I can get, and direct-wiring is always better. And I really want to be able to control my music on the touch screen, as I find it safer while I'm driving.