GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS300 air conditioning fan delay problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-16, 12:03 PM
Normgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GS300 air conditioning fan delay problem

2006 GS300 air conditioning fan problem

The A/C fan in my 2006 GS300 delays for quite a long time esp in very hot weather after not being driven for a day.
I can see the speed setting ramping up on the display lights but I must drive a mile or two before it kicks in.
After I drive it and make multiple stops and restarts in the same day all if fine.
I do not know if the compressor clutch is engaging or not during this delay as I have had no one here to watch under the hood when this delay of fan happens.
Is there any chance it is just low on freon and the system is waiting for pressure to build or could there be a weak relay for the fan?
(I am grasping at straws here hoping it is not a typical $1000+ Lexus repair.)
Any ideas?
Taking it to a mechanic is no help as by the time I get there it works and as we all know
"If it ain't broke ya can't fix it.!" Ü
Dealer is clueless.
Old 08-28-16, 01:08 PM
sprtn131
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you're saying the blower fan in the cabin has the delay?. If so, that has nothing to do with the actual a/c system. That would most likely be a blower motor resistor, motor, or something along those lines
Old 08-28-16, 01:21 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have it in auto mode
Old 08-28-16, 08:05 PM
Normgs300
Driver School Candidate

Default Auto Mode

Yes I do and I remember skimming an article about that in a post for a different year and model but do not remember what it said.
I just went out and discovered it can be started manually but did not realize that before.
I have not had the car very long.
Many of the buttons are still a mystery for me as I work through the 360 page owners manual. Ü
It did come on but it is cool outside now.
What are the ramifications and potential fixes with the auto mode start engaged and no fan activity?
Old 08-28-16, 08:07 PM
Normgs300
Driver School Candidate

The next time it happens I will try a manual start after auto and see what results I get.
Old 08-28-16, 11:13 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds to me to be perfectly normal if in auto mode
you will have to drive about a mile for the AC to become effective then the auto system can operate at the set parameters
As one of the posters said if you put it in manual mode the fan will start straight away
HTH
Robert
Old 08-29-16, 05:51 AM
Normgs300
Driver School Candidate

Default Delay normal when in auto?

That seems rather odd as I have been running it in Auto ever since I bought the car and all summer long it is never delayed more than about 5 Seconds do you have any idea why that would suddenly change?.
Old 08-29-16, 11:49 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Hi
The Ac system is a very sophisticated system and pretty realiable as you said not been no bother for months but the temp can affect when the blower comes on
i e
if its cool outside and in the car you dont want a blower blowing cold/hot till the set parameters have been reached I have a GS450 now and sometimes my fan comes on straight away other times not
in conclusion it depends on your set Temperature and the outside temp when the blower starts
ill bet pound to a penny there is nothing wrong with your system
Robert
Old 08-30-16, 07:55 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure where it is on this vehicle but theres normally an interior temp sensor for the auto mode to work. May be dirty
Old 08-30-16, 10:39 AM
Normgs300
Driver School Candidate

Default Update long delay problem

I tried starting the air conditioning in manual mode on a very hot day yesterday and the fan still did not come on . I definitely see a relationship between high temperature and the failure of the system here. The other evening it was cool and rainy and the AC came on immediately

=Robertcave;9601955]Hi
The Ac system is a very sophisticated system and pretty realiable as you said not been no bother for months but the temp can affect when the blower comes on
i e
if its cool outside and in the car you dont want a blower blowing cold/hot till the set parameters have been reached I have a GS450 now and sometimes my fan comes on straight away other times not
in conclusion it depends on your set Temperature and the outside temp when the blower starts
ill bet pound to a penny there is nothing wrong with your system
Robert[/QUOTE]
Old 08-30-16, 11:36 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

one test you can do hold AUTO switch and recirc button together then turn on ign dont start it tho
it will then go through its fault codes if there is any make sure the sun sensor is not covered and clean here in the UK 37 39 are the Drivers side and Pass temp control
Robert
Old 09-08-16, 06:36 PM
Normgs300
Driver School Candidate

Default Checking for codes

I tried auto / recirc thingie but don't think it threw any codes.
On the display it kept counting up from 1 to 5 if I remember correctly and kept changing fan speeds from low to high.
Seems inconclusive of anything to me. Where were any possible codes to be displayed in the dash?
On the digital display in the middle of the dash or on the one above the steering column near the speedo?
Old 09-08-16, 06:39 PM
Normgs300
Driver School Candidate

Default no start in manual either if very hot outside

no start in manual either if very hot outside

Originally Posted by Robertcave
It sounds to me to be perfectly normal if in auto mode
you will have to drive about a mile for the AC to become effective then the auto system can operate at the set parameters
As one of the posters said if you put it in manual mode the fan will start straight away
HTH
Robert
Old 09-09-16, 12:08 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

you need the climate screen on and it shows codes in temp window it runs through damper motors and fan speeds and sun sensors but if no code comes on all is ok
But................. possibly if its hot outside this would indicate that the AC should come on to cool down interior and it usually throws the Recirc in to the on mode Have you got the Fresh/Recirc in auto mode if you have, it may I use the word loosley,
have low freon in AC cant be too sure if this is it mind.
Maybe a trip to a Air Con Pro would be a good idea.
The cabin temp sensor is below the Radio unit get a vacuum and vacuum it out
Robert
Old 08-17-22, 09:37 AM
starbai
Intermediate

Did you ever figure out this problem? Very hot day after lack of use is also my issue. Seems like the fan just doesn't want to turn on. The screen works no problem and when the system does work it blows ice cold. I haven't checked to ensure the compressor is enaging but I'm almost certain this is more of a blower/relay/fuse issue. Just curious if you ever figured it out. 7 years later, I'm not hopeful for a response but my issue seems to be identical to yours.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS300 air conditioning fan delay problem