GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS300 2007 - Gearbox oil question - jerk when 1st - 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 08:28 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious..
Any change? Resolution? Details?
Old 09-01-16, 02:05 PM
rumcajs997
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all takes time, but I am on it. Thanks for asking.

1) This weekend I cleaned up air sensor and throttle. Throttle was covered in some black stuff (carbon I believe?), so it was definitely worth to clean it. After I have removed it I cleaned up as far as I could reach the tunnel that it was attached to (the one going to the engine) as it was black inside as well.

After that there is no difference in gearbox behaviour but there is some improvement in idle behaviour as it seems to be more stable (during braking to full stop for example).

2) The next step is spark plugs, I have ordered already the set of 6 and just waiting for parcel. I don`t expect any gearbox behaviour changes after that but it needs to be done anyway since this misfire on cylinder 5 and the milage is about right for such change as well, expecially that it is not something expensive.

3) On top of that I have already ordered Toyota WS ATF and found the garage that will do full dynamic flush (they call it Mega Flush) and this is my hope where I expect to have a change in gearbox behaviour. If not, it means that it is not the best beginning of my journey with legendarily reliable Lexus considering pretty low millage for such car and full proven history.

One question regarding gearbox oil filter. Is it very risky to install aftermarket oil filter ? Lexus wants for oil filter + pan gasket = 134£ when I can get aftermarket stuff for around 30-40£ (I have got two brands to chose from - "Transtar" and "Precision International"). The thing is that Lexus probably will be similar quality I think just with their sign on it, because this is just a filter, it is not some NASA technology. What is your opinion on that ?

Last edited by rumcajs997; 09-01-16 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-02-16, 06:52 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rumcajs997
One question regarding gearbox oil filter. Is it very risky to install aftermarket oil filter ? Lexus wants for oil filter + pan gasket = 134£ when I can get aftermarket stuff for around 30-40£ (I have got two brands to chose from - "Transtar" and "Precision International"). The thing is that Lexus probably will be similar quality I think just with their sign on it, because this is just a filter, it is not some NASA technology. What is your opinion on that ?
You definitely don't need to change the tranny filter at 65,000 miles as part of normal maintenance. In any case, my understanding is that it's not a filter, but a mesh strainer, and shouldn't ever need replacing. If at 65k miles you have enough crap in your tranny fluid that the strainer gets clogged, you'd have a far bigger problem on your hands.

Having said that, if you're set on replacing the filter, in your position I would absolutely get it from Lexus because there are several ways the aftermarket parts could fail:

1) Mesh is too restrictive, reducing oil flow and damaging tranny from increased upstream pressure or impaired lubrication of downstream components;
2) Mesh is too large, allowing particles that should be caught to continue circulating, blocking an oil passage or solenoid;
3) Filter components wear or degrade over time, break off, and circulate in the tranny fluid;
4) Gasket doesn't seal well, or degrades over time, allowing oil to leak out.

All four can lead to tranny damage, which will cost you thousands of pounds to replace and take your car out of commission for at least a couple weeks, so I would definitely spend the 100£ premium to get a filter + gasket that I know for sure will work.
Old 09-03-16, 03:27 AM
rumcajs997
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, so now I am confused. This garage that will be doing oil change for me claims that since they will be doing Mega Flush method (with this machine and 16l of oil will be used) I don`t need to touch the filter at all. You say similar thing. But at the same time, there are some informations on the internet that during automatic gearbox oil change, filter should be changed as well. I don`t know now
Old 09-03-16, 04:32 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Hmm, so now I am confused. This garage that will be doing oil change for me claims that since they will be doing Mega Flush method (with this machine and 16l of oil will be used) I don`t need to touch the filter at all. You say similar thing. But at the same time, there are some informations on the internet that during automatic gearbox oil change, filter should be changed as well. I don`t know now
Lexus just did a flush on my 08. They did NOT change the filter.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-03-16, 07:37 AM
rumcajs997
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Lexus just did a flush on my 08. They did NOT change the filter.

Hope that helps.
But did they do a full flush or just normal "gravitational" change where they replaced maybe 3-4 liters? Because here in the UK they told me that they only do this 3-4 liters and they haven`t even got the machine to do dynamic change.
Old 09-03-16, 09:47 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

But did they do a full flush or just normal "gravitational" change where they replaced maybe 3-4 liters? Because here in the UK they told me that they only do this 3-4 liters and they haven`t even got the machine to do dynamic change.
Full flush.

Old 09-18-16, 10:40 AM
rumcajs997
Driver School Candidate

So I have done full gearbox oil flush. First impression after this change was that the title mentioned jerk was less noticable (was already fine for me) + the rest of gears (which were absolutely fine before oil change) were even more smooth and kick down reaction and gear change was just super quick (like miliseconds). But after few days maybe because I got used to or maybe because gearbox again "learned" some bad behaviours or signals from the engine, it is working pretty much the same like before oil change so kick down is not that super quick like I saw it was just after oil change and 1-2nd gear jerk at low RPM is still there...

On top of that I took this car for it`s first long journey with me - 400miles over the weekend (here in the UK it is considered as a long journey, in the USA it is probably nothing special ). And during this journey I experienced twice some strange jerk between probably 5th to 6th gear or 6th to 5th (hard to say) but definitelly something strange. What I want to do now is to spray SeaFoam into intake prior spark plugs change (as there is a misfire on cylinder 5), after that I want to go to Lexus dealer to check is they have got any new software for this gearbox eventually.

There is one more thing that concerns me, namely engine rattle noise. This is my first car with timing chain, so it might be normal, but it is hard to say. I just started new topic, would be great if you have got a minute to eventually have a look - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tle-noise.html
Old 03-30-17, 10:55 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have this problem but mine came after I put in a used tranny due to the (refusing to go into 4th gear issue).
Old 03-31-17, 08:48 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Your still in need of resolving the misfire issue before going forward and moving in the direction of replacing unnecessary parts.. Did you swap the coils out as I mentioned previously to see if the issue of misfire follows the coil, or not?
Old 03-31-17, 08:53 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

I can't seem to make out your screen shot as its a bit blurry. I'll send a screen shot of Techstream data from my vehicle so you can compare.
Old 03-31-17, 08:58 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Default Techstream Data

Hope this helps..
Attached Thumbnails GS300 2007 - Gearbox oil question - jerk when 1st - 2nd gear-techstreamdata.jpg  
Old 03-31-17, 09:03 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Default Techstream Data

And Page 2
Attached Thumbnails GS300 2007 - Gearbox oil question - jerk when 1st - 2nd gear-techstreamdata-p2.jpg  
Old 03-31-17, 09:06 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Default RE: Techstream Data

Finally Page 3
Attached Thumbnails GS300 2007 - Gearbox oil question - jerk when 1st - 2nd gear-techstreamdata-p3jpg.jpg