GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 GS350 - touch screen problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 06:36 AM
Epixx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GS350 - touch screen problems

Hello Lexus fans,

I got a 2007 gs 350 and im having problems with my touchscreen. I can access main categories such as climate, audio, info and display, however i cant select any items from the screen. Just not responsive. I tried to remove the minus from the battery and reset it but it didnt work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
E
Old 06-10-16, 02:08 PM
Jeepdude
Driver School Candidate

This is somewhat a know issue on these touch screens. I had the problem with my car.

There are some very delicate connections that go from inbetween the glass on the digitizer to a ribbon connector on the side. These can break over time, especially in very hot areas.

There are some threads that discuss doing a repair on the connections, but it can be difficult and not always successful. ANother option is to replace the whole unit, but way too expensive.

If you have some knowlege about hoow to remove the unit from the car and get to where the LCD screen is at, you can find some sites (ebay and others) that have the LCD screen and digitizer in one unit for sale. You can even get the digitizer alone and replace it...costs around $50.00.
Old 07-18-16, 11:48 PM
apex47
Rookie

Any luck on this? Having the same issue.
Old 07-28-16, 03:27 PM
bluntdaddy
Driver School Candidate

My recently went out. At first, it was only the left side of my screen and then about a week later, the whole touch screen stopped working. Luckily I still had my extended warranty from Carmax and I had to have the whole thing replaced. I hope you find a cheaper option!
Old 07-28-16, 06:12 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This makes me afraid to park my car in the sun now!
Old 12-14-16, 05:43 PM
Tankersmom
Driver School Candidate

Default Tankersmom

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Old 12-16-16, 09:25 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently had this issue and fixed it by using the Circuit Writer pen and re-bridged the connection between the ribbon and the digitizer. Let me know if you need assistance.
Old 03-12-18, 12:23 PM
Davidov396
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hi I'm having this problem now with my 2007 gs 350. where did you get circuit pen to do it?
Old 03-12-18, 02:54 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i've done the circuit pen method and it didn't work for me. that's just a cheap fix (scoring part of the digitizer glass and part of the ribbon with a blade) that will probably come back to haunt you in the longer run. since you'll already have everything disassembled, you might as well spend $35 for a replacement digitizer on eBay (there's one user who sells them that guarantees you won't have the rainbow effect). All you need is a razor blade (to take off the old digitizer) and double sided adhesive roller (to attach the new digitizer on). after doing so, you'll have peace of mind! i've had no problems whatsoever since replacing it. works like OEM.

here is the link. read the description if you're not convinced. he is a member on this board.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Navigation-Non-Rainbow-Glass-Digitizer-2006-2009-Lexus-IS-GS-RX-Toyota-Prius/331555180866?hash=item4d323a9142:g:Y5YAAOSwJ~RZt5DN&vxp=mtr

Last edited by xtremex626; 03-12-18 at 02:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xtremex626:
ahxun (07-04-18), asciarra21 (03-25-18)
Old 03-25-18, 04:14 PM
asciarra21
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you all for the tips and guidance. I bought the digitizer from the link above, CL member "mr2kieu" it arrived in a few days and was absolutley perfect shipped and protected. Between the info here and some youtube videos I was able to replace the digitizer in my wife's 07 GS350, she will be happy now. It really only took a couple hours from removal repair and installation. Now she can pair her new iphone X, :-)).

Thanks again everyone
Old 03-26-18, 05:09 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by asciarra21
Thank you all for the tips and guidance. I bought the digitizer from the link above, CL member "mr2kieu" it arrived in a few days and was absolutley perfect shipped and protected. Between the info here and some youtube videos I was able to replace the digitizer in my wife's 07 GS350, she will be happy now. It really only took a couple hours from removal repair and installation. Now she can pair her new iphone X, :-)).

Thanks again everyone
Awesome! I’ve been meaning to do this for the last few months. Did the digitizer you receive have any rainbow effect?
Old 03-27-18, 08:03 AM
asciarra21
Driver

No it did not have any rainbow affect. It has a matte finish so no glare at all either I am very pleased with it.

Should have done it a few months back when it first went out.
Old 03-28-18, 11:40 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Originally Posted by asciarra21

Thanks again everyone
glad you went the same route i did!

Originally Posted by Fausty

Awesome! I’ve been meaning to do this for the last few months. Did the digitizer you receive have any rainbow effect?
nope it doesnt. if you read the ebay description, it specifically says his digitizers don't come with the rainbow effect. additionally, the ebay seller is also a member on this board so you can rest assured.
Old 03-28-18, 11:46 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

and honestly, i wish people would stop suggesting others to fix a non-responsive navi screen by using a circuitpen writer which costs ($25~) and some liquid electrical tape ($10~). do it once correctly the first time by buying a non-rainbow effect replacement digitizer for a one-time payment of $35 from a trusted ebay seller and you wont have to worry about your screen going out again! no downtime waiting for the circuitpen writer to dry. you simply replace the digitizer and reassemble everything and youre good to go! plug and play and no cutting into the digitizer glass and ribbon bs!
The following users liked this post:
LizRasa (02-07-20)
Old 03-29-18, 04:21 AM
asciarra21
Driver

I have a degree in electronics and the trace pen is only a temp fix to get by until a permanent fix is available. Using the trace pen method never even crossed my mind. Even though that was the first method I read when searching the possible solution. Thinking to myself “are these guys seriously thinking this is a permanent fix” lol. As I continued searching for a possible fix I saw the replacement digitizer and thought awe yes this will definitely work.

So whoever is thinking about using the trace pen method please realize it will only be a temporary fix and you will be removing the nav unit again from your car to perform another fix in the near future.

Fix it once and be done with it, as said above.

Quick Reply: 2007 GS350 - touch screen problems