GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS 460 - Transmission Lag

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-16, 08:00 AM
snoball
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 GS 460 - Transmission Lag

I was wondering if anyone else ever had this issue. Dropped my car off at the shop due to the transmission lag from stop to slow speeds. Sometimes it feels like I was dragging sandbags. Then all of a sudden the car wakes up and goes.

The shop said the fluid "looks" fine but seems to think there might be too much fluid in it. So here we go with a transmission service. I hope this fixes it.
Old 03-23-16, 08:40 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I sometimes get this when going down a steep hill, stop, then accelerate again. It's more like it's trying to hang on to the same gear though, but it's all totally normal. Yours sounds a bit different, however. I just had a drain and fill done on my transmission a month ago at 32k (was more concerned with the age of the fluid, not the mileage). You might want to look into a drain and fill as well, only ran me $125. Doing the diff in the next couple weeks as well. Maybe try doing an all around fluid change on the car and see if it helps. Best of luck on this! I dealt with hesitation in my SC400 for 12 years... Learned to deal with it over time, but it drove me nuts for the first couple of years, so I know the feeling all too well.

Last edited by TRD_Power; 03-23-16 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-23-16, 11:04 AM
eeleat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine sometimes from a stop, if I accelerate slow, it seems like it's trying to hold onto the gear before it upshifts but I just figured it's normal with our 8 speed transmission. Let us know what the dealer says though, I'm curious to know if it's normal or if I have to flush it out.
Old 03-23-16, 11:05 AM
eeleat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I sometimes get this when going down a steep hill, stop, then accelerate again. It's more like it's trying to hang on to the same gear though, but it's all totally normal. Yours sounds a bit different, however. I just had a drain and fill done on my transmission a month ago at 32k (was more concerned with the age of the fluid, not the mileage). You might want to look into a drain and fill as well, only ran me $125. Doing the diff in the next couple weeks as well. Maybe try doing an all around fluid change on the car and see if it helps. Best of luck on this! I dealt with hesitation in my SC400 for 12 years... Learned to deal with it over time, but it drove me nuts for the first couple of years, so I know the feeling all too well.
Where did you get the drain and fill done for the tranny fluid?
Old 03-23-16, 11:40 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eeleat
Where did you get the drain and fill done for the tranny fluid?
Lexus of Seattle.
Old 03-23-16, 11:45 AM
snoball
Rookie

mine sometimes from a stop, if I accelerate slow, it seems like it's trying to hold onto the gear before it upshifts but I just figured it's normal with our 8 speed transmission. Let us know what the dealer says though, I'm curious to know if it's normal or if I have to flush it out.
I will definitely let you guys know. When I am cruising the neighborhood and not highway speeds...I will leave a dead stop and it seems like it starts off in 5 gear. ultimately it feels like a shifting issue.
Old 03-23-16, 02:20 PM
eeleat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Lexus of Seattle.
any noticeable difference on the way it drives/shifts?
Old 03-23-16, 05:40 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

any noticeable difference on the way it drives/shifts?
Nah, not really. Just preventative maintenance I'm sure if you're pushing 80-100k, you might notice a bit of difference. The whole "lifetime" fluid gimmick is such a load Always change those fluids!
Old 03-26-16, 07:56 AM
1supra
Pole Position

alot of gs 460s have a low end hesitation,then it feels like a turbo kicks in after a few seconds of accel. try shifting the car manualy and see if it helps
Old 03-29-16, 11:14 AM
snoball
Rookie

OK, I got my car back Friday. the shop did a transmission service and then reset the computer to learn driving habits all over again. 4 days of driving now and no issues. it actually is very responsive now and feels like it is shifting WAY better than before.
Old 03-29-16, 01:38 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by snoball
OK, I got my car back Friday. the shop did a transmission service and then reset the computer to learn driving habits all over again. 4 days of driving now and no issues. it actually is very responsive now and feels like it is shifting WAY better than before.
Glad you seem to have figured it all out!
Old 05-12-16, 07:53 AM
snoball
Rookie

Well the issue is back! Actually been back for a while. NO codes are being thrown or CEL. Shop said he thinks it might be torque converter coming apart. I am hoping for something a lot more simple. CHEAPER.

Shop said they will plug it up to a laptop and drive it for a week or so. Hoping to find some data that is out of the ordinary.
Old 05-12-16, 08:19 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has the valve spring recall been performed on your car?

-Joe
Old 05-12-16, 10:37 AM
snoball
Rookie

Originally Posted by jamodeo
Has the valve spring recall been performed on your car?

-Joe
I have no idea, but I will have my shop investigate that. Thanks for the heads up!!!
Old 05-12-16, 12:50 PM
yg420
Driver School Candidate

I have hesitation as well on my 06 430. I had an 06 chrysler 300c and it would do the same thing, but the car is supposed to adapt to your driving habits and when I would reset the car or pull a fuse, I would gas it a bit harder than normal for a while and it would stay alot more responsive.

Quick Reply: 2008 GS 460 - Transmission Lag