GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Looking to buy a GS350 AWD Or M37x/M56x

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 09:42 PM
lexo101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a GS350 AWD Or M37x/M56x

Hi, still a proud owner of a 98 GS400 for 4 years but I think it's time for a new ride. I work at a shop and am able to buy cars from all types of auctions which saves me money. Also a former owner of a 95 GS300 & 96 SC400.

Now here are my questions, I'm looking to get a loaded GS 350 AWD 08-11 and sight unseen (usually out of my state), I don't know the tell signs if it's loaded from pictures like I can do with other makes of vehicles. What varies on this car year to year and how can you tell what options it has or doesn't, or is that only achieved by calling the dealer with a vin? If it has sensors on the bumper, then it has park assist correct? I also know of the rear shade but wouldn't be able to tell unless it was up, Headlight cleaning system have the cutouts on the bumper, I've seen wood steering wheels & shift ***** in all of them so far, and that's really it, do they all come with navigation, what luxury options come standard & optional? Also they usually only have 10 pictures of the car, and not super close and detailed, so if I had to read something it's a no go.

I just found out about the valve spring recall, does that effect all years? I would be pissed if I got one that didn't have the work done, seeing it's not under warranty anymore, I mean I have cost on labor but don't want to throw that much money at it. I'm hoping I can call the dealer with the vin before I bid on one, to see if it's been repaired. The GS400 besides the suspension & little things, has been a dream, but is the 3GS reliable like the 400?

Onto the M37x/M56x I have a budget but I am able to buy vehicles that have been in an accident, which doesn't scare me because usually I can tell in pictures, how they have been hit, and can see if they have frame damage or not (also went to autobody school), so I could afford one in this scenario. Seeing they made the Infiniti after the 3GS to compete with it, and it's newer technology and I like the all around looks with the Aero kit, would you take it over the 3GS? I had a reliable QX4 Brand new and kept it for 15 years and it was a great SUV, so Infiniti has been good to me. The GS400 has been my favorite all around car I've driven, and after watching Youtube videos on GS350's test drives and reviews, people are loving them and the acceleration the V6 puts out. I've also seen a video with a 3GS killing a M37, but who knows how good the driver was.

Which would you get?

The new body GS doesn't go very cheap, even hit but it hasn't grown on me, reminds me of an IS and the Interior looks dated to me, the 3GS is much nicer in my opinion. But I like the IS which is funny, but I feel it's meant to look like that and the GS isn't and should have a look of it's own.

My other options are, Audi A8 06-11 but they have air ride issues, and that's a big V8 and big body. Also 06-09 BMW 750LI but it's a RWD and we usually have bad winters (even though I've been able to maneuver the 400), plus big time electrical issues when they go bad, and are hard to trace.

Sorry for my lack of info on the GS350, I usually do a tone of research but I've been busy and I was thinking how reliable Lexus has been in the past, but seeing the Valve Spring issues I'm a little weary now.

Last edited by lexo101; 03-16-16 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-17-16, 05:36 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you seem to be concerned about reliability. If that is truly the case, then drop Audi/BMW from your list of candidates...because in terms of what it will cost you to keep one of those on the road, in terms of cumulative out of pocket expense...they are in a totally different stratosphere compared to Lexus/Infinity.

I'm in the auto warranty business for a living, meaning my company has 22 years of history in tracking mechanical failures and cost to repair for most makes/models. I can tell you that of the the 4 manufacturers that you have mentioned...Lexus is easily the most reliable, period. Infinity would be the next and then WELL down the line would fall BMW and Audi. I'd only buy those if I were buying new or very low miles AND if I traded frequently. If you buy, hold and drive a car for a good amount of time...don't shoot yourself in the foot with a German car. Very cool cars, but very expensive to maintain and keep running.
Old 03-17-16, 11:38 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

In terms of options, I created this thread to help people identify. I was trying to get it stickied.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html
Old 03-17-16, 08:31 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

The recall if it wasn't already performed will still be able to be done for free, there is no warranty for recalls, if it hasn't been done they have to do it, you'll be able to tell if it has a sunshade from the push down buttons next to the steering wheel there will be an icon for it, also some have illuminated door sills, I would look for a gs460. I've been very happy with mine and have had no problems with it at all
Old 03-18-16, 09:56 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I, too, was considering an M56 before my GS, but VERY happy I didn't get one. From what I've read/seen, they're not very good cars, packed full of electrical gremlins. Sure, the 3GS has its interior rattles, but those are easy to fix compared to electronics having a mind of their own. Like Lukas99GS said, the 460 is the way to go, but that's if you're willing to live with RWD Also, as mentioned above, I wouldn't even consider a BMW or Owie... er... Audi. I test drove an E39 M5 not too long before getting my 460, and it was making all sorts of weird noises, the LCD screen was crapping out, and the AC would only work half the time. Mind you, the BMW only had 65k on it, and no accidents reported. Not going to ramble on, but again, if you can get a 460, definitely do it! If you're set on AWD, do the 350, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-18-16, 02:34 PM
lexo101
Driver

To gr8fulRed, TRD_Power & Lukas99GS Yes I know the reliability on German cars are iffy, I've been lucky with some but I know exactly what your talking about and do plan on staying away from them now. In the future if I do come up on a 750LI or A8 on the cheap with no issues and I have a little money laying around, I'm going to get one, but again I mean under 3 grand like I've seen some 745's go for now. I just think both cars are real nice.

I would like a 460 but I really do want AWD. From what I've read the 350 is still faster off line, but the 460 beats it after 60mph, is that correct? Is the reason you guys prefer the V8 vs V6, the Valve Spring issue and louder engine noise the V6 puts out? I prefer a V8 any day, I just wish they made it in AWD, I mean I could get a 460, but then would need another car for winter. How about the 450H over the 460? From what I've read on that, if AWD is not need, that's the way to go and all that's missing is some trunk room.

Lukas99GS Thanks for the info on the recall, my other thing is, if I were to get a GS350 with a Rebuilt/Salvaged title that was lightly hit, (I've seen a few that should of been clear titles but I guess the year and retail parts prices make it not worth fixing and they branded them that) will they void the recall warranty after that?

TRD_Power Good to know on the M37/M56, I guess my hearts set on 350 AWD/450H Or 460 depending on what I will do in the winter or just tough it out and drift slide, lol. Blizzak's are great though, saved my butt.

grayson73 Thanks for the write up

Last edited by lexo101; 03-18-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 02:54 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

The 350 AWD is definitely going to be a little quicker off the line, but pretty sure the 460 will take it before 60.

I actually just took my 460 up to my buddy's cabin last month in the mountains, and even with my Michelin Pilot Sport as3's on there, it handled the snow very well. The snow mode actually made a noticeable difference, especially going up inclines. But, you definitely will get much better traction in an AWD, obviously

Problem with a 460 is finding one. There are only a bit over 1,600 in existence (forget the exact numbers). In all honesty though, you can't go wrong with any of the 3GS models.
Old 03-18-16, 03:03 PM
lexo101
Driver

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
The 350 AWD is definitely going to be a little quicker off the line, but pretty sure the 460 will take it before 60.
The reason I mention speed and performance is because I've been spoiled with GS400 and I want the next in evolution, better and not going backwards.

I've driven many sedans, made years after the GS400 that still can't compare, at least to me. The GS400 is my starting standard now.
Old 03-18-16, 04:15 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexo101
The reason I mention speed and performance is because I've been spoiled with GS400 and I want the next in evolution, better and not going backwards.

I've driven many sedans, made years after the GS400 that still can't compare, at least to me. The GS400 is my starting standard now.
My dad had an '00 GS400 Platinum Edition, and I absolutely loved that car. The overall build quality of the 2GS is definitely better than the 3GS, and the 2GS will forever be my favorite midsize sedan, but, I still love my 460 If I were to choose an older car for under $10,000, it'd hands down be a 2GS.
Old 04-07-16, 10:09 AM
lexo101
Driver

What's up guys, just won a Black/Black 2009 GS350 AWD 120k With Park Assist and Wood Wheel & ****, so far the options I could tell from the pics, bought it from an auction out of state.

It needs a RH fender, RH Headlight and Bumper Cover.

I would like to put some custom headlights on, and the only set I've found is on eBay from china with black hosing, led lower eyebrow and that takes about a month to get, and could be a cheaply made part. Anybody know of a place or somebody who makes a cool set like they did for the 2GS with the Q45 or L460 projectors and eyebrows?

I loved the TTE front Lip on the 2GS, whats the nicest front lip or bumper cover for this car? I wouldn't mind a good cut out, for some L shaped LED fogs to give it a new look.

I also like the Junction Produce spoiler for the 2GS, anything similar or nicer for the 3GS?

I like sleek VIP look, nothing crazy and race like, with large air dam's.
Old 04-07-16, 11:10 AM
jegyed
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I own Both a 01- GS430 and an 08-GS350 AWD

I think I know where your coming from, the biggest difference will be with the engine, the V8 is butter smooth and the V6 feels a bit less refined but feels faster under rapid acceleration. I don't think it is; but it revs quicker and with the direct injection you also hear it so maybe that adds the impression.

The handling on the GS350 is much better if you like to fly around corners, the GS430 (2001) has more of a luxury car ride, but mine came with 16 inch wheels so that really effects things. I did drive my car with the 17's and it was a bit stiffer, so if your on 17's the ride will be about the same depending on tires. However the Handling of the GS350 will be much better, I always found the 01 to have a split personality. It was soft until you really got on it and then everything sort of snapped into place, The GS350 has a more traditional euro feel to me. ( I have owned 5 Audi quattros talk about repair bills, but I do drive hard).

I cannot stress enough how your tire choice will effect the feel of the car, They came with Dunlop runflats and handled like a go cart but I felt every pebble. My wife was very unimpressed with the 08. I migrated over to Continental Extreme Contacts and gave up some handling for a much better ride. If you want the Older GS ride you could get softer touring tires and get pretty close. But the V6 will never be as buttery as the V8.

The GS350 has 80,000 on it and I have done nothing but normal maintenance and the recall on the car. I just developed a dash rattle that I need to fix, but its very intermittent and the road has to be rough.

My only concern is the transmission is sealed, and that is something I do not trust. However you can do semi service where you can change out about 3 quarts of fluid and refill, but you better measure the amount of fluid that comes out and you put back in via a pump. I have read on this forum that some dealers will do this. I had mine drop the pan and refill, the dealer has to do this on an AWD because they then have to recalibrate the shift points and that is done with a lexus software. I think it cost about $300. The fluid is expensive. Not sure about newer models. I did this at 50,000 so I think I am good for the rest of the car's life but will monitor the forum.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-16, 11:36 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

17s a bit stiffer,...I wonder how 20s will feel! I was planning on putting 20s on GS350 AWD with stock suspension.
Old 04-07-16, 01:00 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I also came from a 2GS, and one of the first thing I noticed with my 460 is if you're outside while it's running or have the window down at a drive through, the engine definately seems to have more noise, I've since learned that ticking noise is just the direct injection, but with my old gs300 you could hardly even hear the engine running. Of course inside the car with the windows up its actually quieter inside than my old GS
Old 04-07-16, 02:41 PM
jegyed
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 20's ?

Originally Posted by grayson73
17s a bit stiffer,...I wonder how 20s will feel! I was planning on putting 20s on GS350 AWD with stock suspension.
Well if they fit and can be aligned I suspect they will feel like a runflat- stiff but acceptable. The funny thing about rim sizes is it is the sidewall height to width ratio that matters along with the stiffness of the sidewall, if your worried strictly about handling. To me going to a 20 is a matter of looks.

With 20's you would have about one choice 225 35 20 and at tire rack they show three tires to choose from. You should also check out Wheel Size.com They have a nifty calculator that will show you how size changes affect clearances etc. I am no expert. If you do the 20's and live in an area with any kind of snow keep you stock wheels for a winter.

Keep in mind that my reference to 17's as stiffer was comparing it on an 01 430. My wife's car, and she wanted that Cadillac ride. As I said its the sidewall that matters most. I had 16 inches on an 1993 S6 ( stage 2 lowered suspension) but the summer tires had a super low profile and trust me it tracked like a go-cart. But I also learned that after a three or four hours on the road I just wanted out of the car. I have a friend with a current s4 and he feels the same way, but we are now the new middle age. So try and get a ride in a car with a 35 sidewall profile and you will get a good idea. good luck