GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Lev Nav aftermkt stereo install SOLVED!!

Old 02-19-16, 07:28 PM
Mando1666
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mark Lev Nav aftermkt stereo install SOLVED!!

I have a 2007 gs450h with Mark Levinson premium stereo and factory Nav. I have yanked out various factory equipment (most of HU, 9 tinny speakers, most of ML amp) and added Sony HU with BT, hands free phone, Pandora, sirius, etc., (4) 6.5" morel component speakers, ultra-thin alpine 10" subwoofer, soundstream 4.640 tarantula amp, Memphis sub amp.
I still have full Nav including audio, full use of screen (except radio functions), backup camera and audible assist.
SOLVED!!! Finally...
Old 02-20-16, 06:03 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Pics please?
Old 02-22-16, 11:28 AM
jayi836
6th Gear

Ditto ...the suspense is killing me
Old 02-22-16, 11:31 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

It appears his last activity on this forum consisted on making this post. I probably won't hold my breath.
Old 02-24-16, 10:34 AM
Mando1666
Driver School Candidate

Gents

No pics yet, I am still in process of making everything beautiful. Here's where I am at:
- all aftermarket electronics fully functional, as in 2 aftermarket amps, Sony HU with built-in Sirius XM, BT phone, BT music, a hidden audio shut off switch (don't need valet to toast my system);
- Sony HU is mounted in cavity in dash; silly easy after a few failed, over-complicated attempts;
- factory Nav video and audio fully functional, nav voice comes out of factory center speaker;
- HVAC fully functional (it WAS integrated to ML HU, where if you pull the ML HU, no AC or heat);
- factory backup assist (beep) and back up camera fully functional;
- Aftermarket Speakers fully functional: 4 component aftermarket Morel speakers installed and working - 2 tweets in dash corners at factory spots, 2 tweets in rear doors nicely situated behind driver and passenger ears, 4 mids at factory locations in doors;
- Yanked out factory sub, factory deck speakers, don't want them vibrating and interfering with my new sound;
- 10" sub installed in MDF sealed box. Sub is shallow type, needs only 1 sq. foot box. Fascia plate made (used piece of bathroom hardboard paneling) and covered in matching black fabric to match trunk fabric. All tucks nicely into pass side corner with sub box sitting on top of factory amp., fascia 'sealing off' side area front to back, looks totally factory.
- all cables ran from HU to trunk
- plywood board cut to sized and mounted vertical across front of hybrid battery, will support vertically mounted amps, breakers and cables,, will be hidden behind factory trunk fabric. No holes in hybrid battery, board doesn't touch it actually.
REMAINING;
- finish HU fascia, still looking for spray paint best match to factory dash flat black plastic. Mount.
- mount amps and cables in trunk
Old 02-24-16, 10:52 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Thanks for the update!
Old 03-05-16, 11:23 AM
Mando1666
Driver School Candidate

Default PICS Finally

Gents
Thanks for waiting. Here are some pics, in process. Sorry if some are blurry

This is the Factory HU with CD drive and tape deck removed, installed just below NAV UNIT. I call it the BobOMatic!

Close up of SONY HU mounting screw and washers; washers grip the factory NAV brackets and hold SONY HU in place. No drilling required to do this fyi.

Factory HU Fascia, modified with hacksaw, filled with epoxy to fit SONY HU.

That hole is drilled on each side of the dash to give me access to the SONY HU mounting screws.

This is the factoty HU, unmolested. A double din monster of circuit board, CD player and Tape deck. You can strip it down to a single din.

There's the factory HU circuit board you will need to return to the dash, it's the heart of the BobOMatic.

Before

SONY HU mounted, BobOMatic installed above it

NAV fully operational, as is NAV audio guidance, HVAC, backup assist, all the bells and whistles
Old 03-06-16, 07:39 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Awesome! I was wondering how the audio shop in NY did that one person's heavily modified GS .

Thanks for sharng!
Old 03-06-16, 08:18 PM
Mando1666
Driver School Candidate

No stereo shop, just untrained car owner.
Old 03-07-16, 04:08 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Did you make the face plate yourself? The shape is fantastic! (I would have gone black, but I respect the incredible job done)
Old 03-07-16, 05:48 AM
Mando1666
Driver School Candidate

Default Face plate

Face plate is factory original. Remove from factory HU, remove metal backer, cut rectangle for aftermkt HU, fill holes & reinforce all around back of it with plastic epoxy, sand, final fill with red auto body (very fine) filler, sand, prime paint. Perfect fit. It is black, used liquitex carbon black with matte clear acrylic. Not a perfect color match but real close. If anyone finds better match let me know.
There are two tabs in the dash cavity that face plate rests on. Stuff some 3M caulk strip (PKA dum-dum) on it. That and aftermkt HU hold face plate in place.
Pics coming.
Old 03-07-16, 06:39 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Know anyone with a 3D scanner and printer? You could make money selling those. I'd pay $100.
Old 03-18-16, 06:04 AM
Mando1666
Driver School Candidate

More coming soon:
pics of modified factory amp wire connections
pics of finished dash
pics of modified ash tray changed to leatherette storage box (cost $20)
pics of finished trunk with mounted amps
Old 03-18-16, 08:16 AM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what is the BobOMatic for?
Old 03-20-16, 11:59 AM
Mando1666
Driver School Candidate

Default New pics

Sony HU installed. Done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Lev Nav aftermkt stereo install SOLVED!!