GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS 300 -AFS Flashes, Headlights too low

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 05:22 PM
joshphp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 GS 300 -AFS Flashes, Headlights too low

All,
A few days ago my stock 2006 GS300 AFS off light began flashing, at which point the headlights seemed at a normal level and operating as expected. The next time I started the car, the AFS off light was not flashing, and the headlights were aimed way too low. From time to time, the AFS off light will come on now and the headlights will be at an acceptable height, but if the light DOES NOT come on, they are aimed too low (like 2 feet in front). I am not sure if I should manually adjust the AFS sensor, as when the AFS off light comes on will they then be pointed too high?

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Old 01-26-16, 11:23 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/h...ng-your-lexus/
Old 01-27-16, 12:13 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a level sensor on the control arms on both front and back on the driver side. Check to make sure the pole is connected on both sides and make sure plug is clean.
Old 01-27-16, 10:12 AM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you find one of your sensor is bad, most likely the case, and you dont want to pay a couple of hundred bucks for one, look at this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-sensors.html
Old 01-27-16, 04:53 PM
joshphp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isfdude
There's a level sensor on the control arms on both front and back on the driver side. Check to make sure the pole is connected on both sides and make sure plug is clean.
Is there a possibility the pole for the sensor could have come loose? The rear bracket on the suspension is connected and does not look snapped or disconnected. Again tonight the AFS off light began flashing and the headlights were fine but once I stopped and restarted the car the light went off and they aimed low. I guess my biggest thing is what should I start with in terms of replacing or adjusting?
Old 01-28-16, 12:29 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

There are 2 sensors I believe, one in the back and one in the front both on the driver side. Could also be a dying AFS motor on the back of the headlight too. Was there any suspension work done?
Old 01-28-16, 11:14 AM
joshphp
Driver School Candidate

There are 2 sensors I believe, one in the back and one in the front both on the driver side. Could also be a dying AFS motor on the back of the headlight too. Was there any suspension work done?
No work has been done to the car with the exception of new tires 3 months ago and nothing ever acted up until recently. It just seems odd that every time the AFS light is off (more times than not) the lights aim low, as if the level sensor is stuck or something? But then why would the AFS off light flash sometimes, which would indicate a bad sensor right?
Old 01-29-16, 12:50 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

You need to run an advanced computer to pull the code. Every time you start your car is does a self test so it looks like something is going on it. Mine had a level motor located in back of each headlight go and did the same as yours. It would check and fail so it goes in to default mode which is all the way down.
Old 01-31-16, 04:02 PM
joshphp
Driver School Candidate

You need to run an advanced computer to pull the code. Every time you start your car is does a self test so it looks like something is going on it. Mine had a level motor located in back of each headlight go and did the same as yours. It would check and fail so it goes in to default mode which is all the way down.
For now I just pulled the AFS fuse and the lights are at the correct height so I can actually drive at night safely. Only Lexus has the ability to read the data from the sensors to check for an issue correct?
Old 02-02-16, 06:29 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

No there are mechanic shops that can read those codes.
Old 02-02-16, 10:56 PM
Cyclones8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a sensor for the front which is located in the drivers side wheel well. Mine broke the level sensor shaft due to corrosion at the swivel point. If this is the case and the shaft is broken the sensor arm unsupported falls and aims the lights low. When the AFS light is on I believe the fault causes the lights to bypass the sensor and aim at a default set level that allows for normal driving.
Old 01-30-17, 06:58 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default afs light

Originally Posted by Cyclones8
There is a sensor for the front which is located in the drivers side wheel well. Mine broke the level sensor shaft due to corrosion at the swivel point. If this is the case and the shaft is broken the sensor arm unsupported falls and aims the lights low. When the AFS light is on I believe the fault causes the lights to bypass the sensor and aim at a default set level that allows for normal driving.
when it flashes it mean there is a problem stored . If your headlight don't rest at its normal position it won't adjust even if the leveling switch in your rear control arm is good . When you shut off your headlight the headlight will actually move down , when youre driving the light aiming at that time is not the normal position . Turn on the car and have your headlight to on ,as soon as it comes on Tapp the headlight until it moves then it'll work ...
Old 05-17-17, 09:47 AM
Fr3d
Driver School Candidate

My rod broke on my sensor a while ago. I don't have the problems you're having but I'm trying to just get the rod replaced without buying the whole sensor. No luck so far, the pull a part stores around here don't have my make and model on their lots.

Any suggestions on replacing or fixing the rod?
Old 05-17-17, 10:22 AM
joshphp
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Fr3d
My rod broke on my sensor a while ago. I don't have the problems you're having but I'm trying to just get the rod replaced without buying the whole sensor. No luck so far, the pull a part stores around here don't have my make and model on their lots.

Any suggestions on replacing or fixing the rod?
I just took the rod and used panel bond to put it back together, lasted about 10 months that way and just recently broke again