GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

School me on GS 350 paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 06:36 AM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default School me on GS 350 paint

Within the next 6 months I hope to be purchasing a 3GS 08-11. I thought I was dead set on Obsidian or black but as I've browsed the Internet I've seen complaints about black paint vs. other colors. Mostly because of showing swirls and other paint imperfections. I thought I've also seen information about the Lexus/ Toyota paint process for black being different for these years in particular. Something about it being a single stage process, which contributes to the imperfections being seen easier, compared to other colors. I already have a 5ES in starfire pearl so another white car is out of the question. I've always thought most vehicles look best in black when it's clean and tend to prefer the darker, richer colors but if I find a car that is everything I want, I am open to other colors. I also want dark or black interior in this car as my ES has the cashmere interior. That will likely also be a factor in all of this. So my questions are ,is there really a difference in the paint for obsidian vs. say smoky granite mica? Is there a benefit to other colors over obsidian? and what do you guys like or prefer and why? Apologies if this post is incoherent and I appreciate any feedback.
Old 12-16-15, 07:17 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Ive owned both colors the mica and the black. I prefer the black, a little more work to keep it shiny as the paint is super soft. Im sure both use the same paint process, just the black shows the imperfections more.

Starfire pearl is one of my favorites.
Old 12-16-15, 09:39 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Smoky Granite Mica with black interior is my combo and was my first choice. It is a dark color but doesn't show dirt, dust ,scratches and imperfection as much as black. Polishing and waxing the exterior show just as well as black paint. White and silver which doesn't show dramatic results when detailed
Old 12-18-15, 04:30 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont think the imperfections are in the paint itself. it may just be the clear coat.

i have the Starfire Pearl with black interior. i love it cus you dont see any imperfections lol. i will add though that i do see a difference when i detailed my car. it may be just the products im using but hell it does show a big difference lol.
Old 12-18-15, 08:44 AM
haromania
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a former body shop owner and having painted cars professionally for over 15 years I can tell you that I would be stunned if anything Lexus was producing in the years you specified, was a single stage finish. I cannot imagine Lexus didn't apply a clear coat to that paint. But black sucks if you're picky about your car's finish. When I was shopping online, I could literally see the buff marks and swirls left behind in the pictures when I saw a black GS350 online. To each their own, but I personally don't have enough time to keep my paint looking new with the elbow grease it would take for me to own a black car again. I prefer the lighter colors, and the tri coat pearl white fit that bill perfectly. But long story short, if you're at all in doubt, get the paint code and check it out. I won't own another car that isn't "cleared". Today's clears are beyond awesome and if cared for look showroom for pretty much ever.
Old 12-18-15, 09:20 AM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haromania
As a former body shop owner and having painted cars professionally for over 15 years I can tell you that I would be stunned if anything Lexus was producing in the years you specified, was a single stage finish. I cannot imagine Lexus didn't apply a clear coat to that paint. But black sucks if you're picky about your car's finish. When I was shopping online, I could literally see the buff marks and swirls left behind in the pictures when I saw a black GS350 online. To each their own, but I personally don't have enough time to keep my paint looking new with the elbow grease it would take for me to own a black car again. I prefer the lighter colors, and the tri coat pearl white fit that bill perfectly. But long story short, if you're at all in doubt, get the paint code and check it out. I won't own another car that isn't "cleared". Today's clears are beyond awesome and if cared for look showroom for pretty much ever.
Thanks for the input and you raise some valid points. Especially in regard to the amount of time it can take to keep your black car looking new. I really don't have that either. As far as the single stage meaning that the car doesn't have a clear coat then I would seriously doubt that also. Either I skimmed and didn't understand what I read or the person that wrote it had no idea what they were talking about. If they meant that that there was no clear coat then certainly the ladder in that case. Does anyone think the black sapphire pearl is as bad as the obsidian? I've only seen it in person once but not up close and a lot of the pics look black. I think the deep sea mica in '10 and '11 is a little too blue for me but I've never seen that in person.